Author Topic: Introducing Magna, The Unbroken.  (Read 6347 times)

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
Introducing Magna, The Unbroken.
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »

Magna, along with Sargon, Elyssia and one more mysterious hero will arrive in Armello soon.

Magna is the leader of the wolf clan's Iron Guard, elite shieldmaidens sworn to uphold the integrity of the clan. Through a combination of prowess and pure force, she reflects hits in combat back to her opponent by burning Shield symbols. Launching a lazy strike on Magna may just prove fatal.

One peculiar Hero is yet to step forward, who is yet to be seen?

Insomnicron

• Res ipsa loquitur
    • View Profile
    • Insomnicron (aka Naysayer) on DeviantArt
Re: Introducing Magna, The Unbroken.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Oh man, this update is really looking to shake up which members of each of the clans I call my favorites!
Magna sounds like the defensive character I've been looking for!

Arkzus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »
WANT! How soon is "soon?" Before or after the Bandit Clan?

Dach

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:38:01 PM »
WANT! How soon is "soon?" Before or after the Bandit Clan?

"Soon" should normally be before the Bandit Clan. These new characters are supposed to be released alongside (or shortly after) the Xbox 360 version of the game (which is expected for September 2016 if I remember correctly).

The Bandit Clan members are supposed to be officially added with the tablet version of the game, which will be taken care of after the Xbox 360 version. No date for this one yet, hopefully end of 2016, but we can't be sure.

Komodoku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:34 AM »
A-Are those fox tails tied to her waist? Oh man InariFox isn't going to be pleased...

...Also I think her fur should be a different colour, as Rivers and Thanes is gray as well.  Just some extra variety and uniqueness.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:33:06 AM by Komodoku »
You probably shouldn't take me seriously ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Arkzus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:45:37 AM »
"Soon" should normally be before the Bandit Clan. These new characters are supposed to be released alongside (or shortly after) the Xbox 360 version of the game (which is expected for September 2016 if I remember correctly).

The Bandit Clan members are supposed to be officially added with the tablet version of the game, which will be taken care of after the Xbox 360 version. No date for this one yet, hopefully end of 2016, but we can't be sure.

Thanks for the info! September feels so far away, but I'm glad Magna and co. will be here before the Bandits, way more interested in them than Scarlet's bunch.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:59:34 PM by Arkzus »

Falkner

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
It's been mentioned previously that some heroes *River/Scarlet* have some screwed up anatomy. I didn't speak up because it's subjective and art-style choice and etc.

However, Magna crosses the line. Big strong, stout wolf heroine? No problem with the concept. Quite cool, love it even. But that humongous skirt and those tree-trunk like legs are just ridiculous, they don't look like paws but more like hooves. Her bottom half is way too disproportionately huge compared to her top half. A classical depiction of strength would be an inverted pyramid shape essentially: broad shoulders and chest and a slightly narrower waist. The opposite just makes her look fat and bloated. Plus, her left hand seems oversized compared to her right hand and it's not just the pose and perspective making it appear like that.

Dach

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
Her bottom half is way too disproportionately huge compared to her top half. A classical depiction of strength would be an inverted pyramid shape essentially: broad shoulders and chest and a slightly narrower waist. The opposite just makes her look fat and bloated.
Must admit that I love every character of Armello so far, but in this precise case, I totally agree.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46:50 AM »
However, Magna crosses the line. Big strong, stout wolf heroine? No problem with the concept. Quite cool, love it even. But that humongous skirt and those tree-trunk like legs are just ridiculous, they don't look like paws but more like hooves. Her bottom half is way too disproportionately huge compared to her top half. A classical depiction of strength would be an inverted pyramid shape essentially: broad shoulders and chest and a slightly narrower waist. The opposite just makes her look fat and bloated. Plus, her left hand seems oversized compared to her right hand and it's not just the pose and perspective making it appear like that.
Eh!? Actually, I find her to be one of the more proportional characters. I think you're assuming her legs start just above the hem of her chainmail skirt. In truth, they begin around the area of her blue jerkin (which essentially alludes to the shape of her hips). She's an amazon, but pretty much what one could expect of that body type. For crazy anatomy, you want to look at Sylas. He's actually closer to the build of an actual otter than any kind of anthropomorphic creature; extremely wiry. I've wrestled with the issue of how 'mechanically accurate' I want to make anthro characters too. In particular, otters and rabbits can be tricky...

BUT I DIGRESS! I'm really curious to learn more about the mechanics of how Magna works! It sounds like burnt Shield cards that block a hit inflict a point that point of damage back to the foe. Heh... she's almost like an inverse Thane.

Actually, what happens to shield cards that get pierced? Does she take the hit AND reflect a point back, or does it simply cut through her ability altogether?

My guess for her stats:
Body 6/Fight 3/Wits 4/Spirit 3
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:50:04 AM by dragoncrescent »

Insomnicron

• Res ipsa loquitur
    • View Profile
    • Insomnicron (aka Naysayer) on DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 12:14:18 PM »
It's been mentioned previously that some heroes *River/Scarlet* have some screwed up anatomy. I didn't speak up because it's subjective and art-style choice and etc.

Heh, I disagree on anything as strident as "crossing a line"... might it be that your viewing the "fluff" of her legs as actual thickness?
Consider the (adorableness) of this fluffy pup:

Then again, perhaps it's not all hair, but that is how it I read it. :)

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 03:00:20 AM »
BUT I DIGRESS! I'm really curious to learn more about the mechanics of how Magna works! It sounds like burnt Shield cards that block a hit inflict a point that point of damage back to the foe. Heh... she's almost like an inverse Thane.

Actually, what happens to shield cards that get pierced? Does she take the hit AND reflect a point back, or does it simply cut through her ability altogether?

My guess for her stats:
Body 6/Fight 3/Wits 4/Spirit 3

I'm going to guess her burned shield dice glow like Thane's burned swords.  It does make one wonder what happens if they are pierced, or if the player wiffs attacks and there are more burned shields than hits to block.  Does reflection take priority over static dice from armor (like piercing resolves first), or does too much gear hurt your chances.

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:27 AM »
I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly, and verify something.

If you burn a card with a shield on it, that means that she both blocks an attack and, if that shield symbol is used, hits her opponent?  Does this damage go through opposing shields, or does it just get added as another sword?  Also, do those shields get used first like how piercing swords go first?