Author Topic: A gay furry? D:  (Read 7352 times)

Sangie

• Backer
    • View Profile
A gay furry? D:
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:19:45 AM »
Yes... a gay furry has backed this project. How could I not? The art is right up my alley (obviously) and I love strategy games. I also love complex board games, but the setup and time to teach others is often more time than I have. On top of that, it's hard to pause a board game... especially when you have cats.

I'm really excited for this game and I want it out in a month, but I know that isn't going to happen. I will eagerly await beta.

Does anyone know how backers get to the backer-specific forum? I can't find it D:

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
Re: A gay furry? D:
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:57 AM »
You wait for a while until you get accepted as a backer. you used the same email as with the kickstarter I hope?

But Yeah, just wait a week at most and it should be fine.

Sangie

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
Yeah I used the same email =) Thanks for the tip.

macoman1

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »
Glad to have you on board friend! :D

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
A gay fur!? I am shocked, sir. SHOCKED.  Who ever heard of such a thing? And on OUR board! ;D

Welcome to the forums, Sangie! We're all pumped for this game too, and we're glad to have you here.

I won't shed if you won't.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:17:21 AM »
Another gay furry from Texas, too. Just moved to Carrollton with my husband. Think I met you in passing at FC--is that accurate? ^_o;

Laughing Lick

• Backer
  • Ah bubble tea.. my sweet captor~
    • View Profile
    • My Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »
Good day and good welcome to you fine friend~
I'm sure you'll find you fit right in ;)

Bubble Tea is Fleeting, Armello is Forever

ChuRenDel

• Backer
  • The Champion of Armello
    • View Profile
    • ChuRenDel's DeviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
Welcome. It's a pleasure for you to join us.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
*Waves* Hi Sangine!!! Nice to meet you!!! if its not to exclusive whats your FA!?! hehe have fun on the forums!

Trendane

• Backer
  • Voice actor, writer, comic.
    • View Profile
    • Tren's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »
You are most definitely not the only one.
--
Tren Sparks
I'm not crazy...I'm merely sane in the same way that Velveeta is cheese.

Wolf Spirit

• Backer
  • 20 Seconds of Courage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
Hi Sangie, it's nice to meet another furry.  I am actually a straight furry but am afraid to really show out in public (ex change my desktop pic to some other pic than my regular one in public).  Do you have that same problem and if not how does it not scare you?

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 03:42:40 AM »
Hi Sangie, it's nice to meet another furry.  I am actually a straight furry but am afraid to really show out in public (ex change my desktop pic to some other pic than my regular one in public).  Do you have that same problem and if not how does it not scare you?

Hey buddy, Sangie has not visited this forum in months, but there are plenty of furries (like me) lurking in these forums. I have been active in some regard in the fandom for over a decade now.

You are definitely not alone in the way you feel. Although dominant attitudes are changing with a more progressive social tide, furries are still subject to plenty of stereotypes and prejudice.

My husband and I like to joke that the only true common thread with furries is with how we are screwed up socially in some way. It is not something to be upset or afraid about, though. Most furries find it liberating to behave contrary to the status quo as an escape. Others find the courage to do things behind the mask of a suit they never could have done otherwise (this article is an outstanding read, and could give you some inspiration: https://otterlover58.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/my-son-is-furry-got-a-problem-with-that/).

As far as interacting with lots of other people that you know are non-furry goes, everyone's experience is different. My husband (KaiserNeko) is a good example to study. While he is publicly "out" as a furry (definitely not a liability in his line of work), he does not wear how his behavior changes around furries on his sleeve--on the contrary, he has a vested interest in keeping those two lives mostly separate as a public personality. I teach college biology, and do not/cannot really wear my furry interests on my sleeve. For those that work in the private sector/business, it would be much more of a liability. I displace these feelings in public by having no qualms about talking about my interest in big cats. I integrate them as examples for stuff in my lessons (easy to do as a biologist). So, we both save being archetypally "furry" for cons and furmeets.

If you are looking for people that are already furries and are guaranteed to understand you, the Internet is your best friend. There is an FA group for furs in every corner of the world you can search for locals with. Texas (where I live) has a massive forum that makes it easy to find furry friends and local meets. Actually, I knew of Sangie from that forum before he posted here.

Anyway, just know there are plenty of furries that actively attend meets and cons that have productive family and/or professional lives that furry does not or cannot enter to. Furries that hope to function normally in society know and understand this. This can feel restrictive, but given patience, trust and time, it can be possible to let other people in on your interest, just as long as you frame it properly. Everybody has that weird thing they do/they are into that is not common knowledge, so for most reasonable people, saying that you like furry art or hanging out with actual people that wear tails will not make you a social pariah, especially if you live in an urban/liberal area where people see strange stuff everyday.

Hope that helped. Good luck, and let us know if you need anything else! -^^-

(P.S. It is a common thing to be teased at meets or cons if you identify as straight, mostly because you are the ironic minority of the fandom. Just maintain a good sense of humor and do not take it personally [because it is never meant to be], and you will be fine! ^^ )

Wolf Spirit

• Backer
  • 20 Seconds of Courage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 04:53:48 AM »
Thank you that really means alot to hear that.  I when I am with my "friends" who don't know about my true self make fun of furries and that it is a gay thing makes me a little depressed.  It I want to join social forums and fur cons in my area (Southern California) but I either dont know where to look or just too afraid to look.  It was hard dating someone who found out who I am and she couldn't handle it.  Kinda traumatized me.  So even looking for the right woman is hard because I have to hiding a big part of myself from them.

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »
Thank you that really means alot to hear that.  I when I am with my "friends" who don't know about my true self make fun of furries and that it is a gay thing makes me a little depressed.  It I want to join social forums and fur cons in my area (Southern California) but I either dont know where to look or just too afraid to look.  It was hard dating someone who found out who I am and she couldn't handle it.  Kinda traumatized me.  So even looking for the right woman is hard because I have to hiding a big part of myself from them.

Psh, people that refuse to accept your true self are not your friends, man. It might be a bitter pill to swallow to push people away when you are trying to gain more friends, but life is way too short to deny your true self and not be happy.

Fortunately, you are in the midst of (literally) the largest furry community in the world, no exaggeration. My husband was actually originally from the High Desert, and I have hung out with a bunch of them. Scott used to make the PS every month, so 3/4 of them will know him. They have a massive online presence (http://www.socalfurs.com/ ; http://www.furaffinity.net/user/socalfurs [contains plenty more links]). Because the community is so huge, you need not worry about not finding anyone at meets that cannot identify with your personality--just introduce yourself and you will have dozens of new friends.

I can totally empathize with how tentative you might be after losing a relationship due to your interest in furry, but relationships not working out due to things beyond one party's control are an unfortunate reality. It was terrible that the maturity was not there to calmly explain that it would not work, though. I had a friend that recently lost a girlfriend simply because of sexual incompatibility...personality-wise, they were absolutely perfect for each other. A shame. While there are a lot of flat-out crazy furries I would never date, there are plenty of sensible, down to earth ones I would (if I was single). Dating furries guarantees you will not need to explain this inner thing that is important to you.

No need to rush that, however...mix it up and become a member of the community first. Do not be afraid, you will not be rejected. And if you ever happen to see Areitu in particular, tell him Kaiser and I sent you. -^^-

Calico

• Backer
  • Who's driving this flying umbrella?
    • View Profile
    • about.me
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »

Wolf Spirit, I'm also a fur from SoCal! We just did a meetup in the Griffith Park abandoned zoo, and you should definitely join us next time!

I'll also say that being true to yourself is very important. Hiding a part of yourself can really eat you up inside after a while, and really it's best if you find someone who is willing to care for you because of who you are in your entirety.

Eeyup!