Author Topic: 1.3 - Chasing Dice  (Read 1222 times)

Rymdkejsaren

• Backer
    • View Profile
1.3 - Chasing Dice
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
I would like to raise a concern about the chest/key reward system. It may be a good system to get people to finish games; the problem is that they may be more interested in finishing than winning. The fact that these items are worth money on the market doesn't help.

Now, I didn't play online before the patch, and I have only played eight or so online games, so my observations are severely limited (and anecdotal). But LoG should have the bigger picture.

Behaviour that I have seen that I have connected with the issue is AFK players, semi-AFK players, and king rushing.

AFK players should be easy to deal with; I am not sure if they get kicked automatically after a certain number of turns? Otherwise, that would do it.

Semi-AFK players are more difficult to deal with. They pop in every now and again to take an action and avoid going AFK but aren't really playing, to the detriment of the fun for the other players. A higher sensitivity for AFK-kicking might help, but then again you do not want to be too harsh on other players who simply had to run away for something unexpected. In the end, a dedicated semi-AFK player looking to farm items to sell can just write a simple script that keeps them in the game and active.

King rushing means that you just go for the king, relentlessly. You go pick up what you can along the way and attack the palace. It's not a winning strategy, but it is likely to speed the game up as the king takes damage. I am not sure how to deal with this, if indeed, it is possible.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 - Chasing Dice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
If you look into the steam forums, there is a pinned thread by  Darcy and Trent  concerning exactly your fears...

In a summary: The Devs will watch the playstyle carefully and the game will encourage people to play Armello the way it was meant to be played. Rushing or afk'ing will lower your chance to get some loot. There is obviously an underlying algorithm that will drop your loot-chance if your playing in an antisocial style.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:28:14 PM by Phlox »
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Rymdkejsaren

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:23 PM »
Well, that's good to hear, but reduced loot chance doesn't solve the issue? If they have an algorithm that can correctly detect farming play styles and ban said players from MP games while avoiding false positives, that sounds great. But do they?

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
Darcy, may I quote you?

From the steam thread "The Grand Dice Hunt":

"I just wanted to drop by to share some important wisdom about v1.3. As you all know, the Keys, Chests and Dice are totally tradeable and marketable, so now more than ever, there's a large incentive to obtain as many as possible. We know that people are going to be interested in farming and that's cool, but you should all know that we have implemented specific measures to ensure that finishing games super quickly is not an effective method of farming dice and will offer no advantage.

In fact, kicking back and playing the game as it's intended leads to more reliable drops."

And Trent wrote:

"Here's the TL:DR; if you're being a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and scamming the game and the other players in it, you can expect not to see keys, or at worst (for repeat, egregious offenses), get banned for life. If you're just chillin, playin the game, whatever your playstyle, you'll be fine."

So be sure the Devs have an eye on this topic.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Rymdkejsaren

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
Good to hear they have thought about it!

But it's odd this information isn't on the forums somewhere. Or is it? I couldn't find it. I didn't think I had to go to the Steam forums for the full picture.

Melphina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
Aye, Phlox is correct. The devs have confirmed they've implemented systems to prevent players from ruining the game by king rushing. There will be drop penalties for players that do it, which can include not getting any rewards at all after a game. Continuous disruptions can result in further action. And there are already systems implemented that prevent AFK play. If you're AFK for one whole turn you get a penalty on how much time you have to move during your next turn, and if you do it a second time you get an even larger penalty. After 3 AFK turns you get kicked from game automatically.

The devs keep track of troublemakers, and people who constantly disrupt games or get kicked for AFK run the risk of a perma-ban. They can tell whose making a habit of being a nuisance and who isn't, so you needn't worry if you have to leave once in a while because life happened or your internet cut out. Basically, people who play the game the way it was intended to be played get lots and lots of goodies, and griefers get sent to the naughty corner.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:00:52 PM by Melphina »

Tavo-Lobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:31:50 AM »
If you look into the steam forums, there is a pinned thread by  Darcy and Trent  concerning exactly your fears...

In a summary: The Devs will watch the playstyle carefully and the game will encourage people to play Armello the way it was meant to be played. Rushing or afk'ing will lower your chance to get some loot. There is obviously an underlying algorithm that will drop your loot-chance if your playing in an antisocial style.

Wow thanks that really makes me more confortable about the future of Armello!