Author Topic: This is a hand or a feet?  (Read 2063 times)

Agalan

• View Profile
This is a hand or a feet?
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »
This card :

I wonder if it's a digitigrade feetpaw with clawed toes, heel, or simply an arms with elbow.

What do you think, and why?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:22:44 AM by Agalan »

Biologist

• View Profile
Re: This is a hand or a feet?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
If you look carefully, the Spy Master is standing on a staircase with their head poking between the banister struts. Also, the limb in question seems to be level with a belt or sash belong to the limb's owner, and there is what appears to be a striped tail just behind the Spy Master's left elbow that matches the markings on the limb. So my guess is it's an arm clutching the banister for support.

By the way, is the Spy Master male or female? I seem to remember it being mentioned in the prologue, but I'm honestly not sure just from looking at the card art. Maybe that just means they're a very effective spy!
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:52:47 AM »
Ho, nice for the tiger tail ! I didn't notice this.

But the banister struts can't be  at the middle of the body, no? It looks like a balcony and the footpaw is on the edge of it... I think.  :-\

And an arms in this position is weird, no ? The curve is more natural for a digitigrade foot.

We can see the head of a dog too. I don't think the tiger leg is just behind him, or the boat/tavern is weird.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:07:38 AM »
If you look to the left of the Spy Master, there are stairs leading down; this is what the Spy Master and the tiger are standing on. The struts are level with the Spy Master's body because he/she is a fennec fox, and relatively short compared to the tiger. The last visible strut to the right appears level with the tiger's waist because of the viewing angle.

As for the dog, he is standing in front of the staircase; presumably the tiger is very close to the bottom of the stairs. This is entirely subjective, but I think the tiger is maybe only two or three steps from the bottom. In that case a very tall animal might have a head level with the floor of the staircase depending on the design of the rest of the room. The dog could be standing on a raised platform, or a stool, etc.

As for the strange curvature of the limb, I agree, but this is the difficultly with representing digitigrade animals anthropomorphically; the posture and angles are going to be a little off if you keep the natural shape of the limb.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »
Also, if you look very closely at the thick part of the lowest banister, you can see the fennec spy's tiny fingers resting on it's curve. Basically, what this is what's happening in the image: the Spy Master is lurking around the base of the staircase, using his large ears to eavesdrop on the conversations of all around him. There is a tiger walking down the staircase, holding the banister as he goes.

I can see how you might think the arm looks like a digitigrade foot. The crook of the elbow certainly makes it look that way. I would LOVE to see the full art for this image. I wonder if there are more details in the illustration that we're missing...?

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
I'm agree with you, but I'm agree with me too... Don't you think the limb is very short for an arms ? It's more a size of a digi-feet.

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:47:43 AM »
Ho, and bandages are often on digitigrade feet.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »
Huh... I guess I could see how they would look like bandages. I thought they were just bracers.  Of course, there are scrappy fighter-types like boxers who also use gauze to wrap their arms and wrists. *shrugs*