Author Topic: Times Armello Has Made Me Want To Cry: Part 1  (Read 3332 times)

Biologist

• View Profile
Re: Times Armello Has Made Me Want To Cry: Part 1
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 08:17:32 AM »
Just recently had a crazy game. Spent the first half of the game with no equip-able items. My first quest was placed on a King's Peril and surrounded by dungeons, swamps, and more perils. My second quest was located in no-man's land between two other players' clan grounds, forcing me to run a gauntlet of hostile players each time. By the end of the game I had scraped together some decent gear, but hadn't  ever completed my quests (my fourth quest ended up in the same area as my second quest, with similar results). I had 0 prestige for most of the game. All of my dungeon rolls were banes, 1 gold, or portals. Several times I felt like just resigning, but I decided to stick it out. There was a silver lining, at least.

Barnaby had been dominating everyone and racking up prestige points. Zosha made it into the palace on the last night, and I had a choice of attacking her (and almost certainly winning), or just going and fighting some banes. Fighting Zosha would have thrown the game to Barnaby, so I decided to let her have a chance and go fight banes. Zosha attacks the King... and dies without killing him. Then Barnaby signs a blood pact with the King. Suddenly the game just got a bit longer.

To make a long story short, I ended up breaching the Palace with a Hot Rot Wine and, against all odds, successfully killing the King and stealing the game after having been the whipping boy for every player, NPC, and random event the whole time.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
This game. Just... stare at Brun's goldmine and weep for the ONE town that isn't off in his corner. D:

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
Have a quest on dungeon tile...

Step on dungeon, teleport to other side of the map.

Go back in 2 turns, step on dungeon, teleport to other side of the map.

Go back again, step on dungeon... WTF TELEPORT?!

Went back, step on dungeon, Bane kills me.

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:43 AM »
Have a quest on dungeon tile...

Step on dungeon, teleport to other side of the map.

Go back in 2 turns, step on dungeon, teleport to other side of the map.

Go back again, step on dungeon... WTF TELEPORT?!

Went back, step on dungeon, Bane kills me.

Well, you know what they say about the definition of insanity... what did you expect when you kept doing the same thing?  :P Seriously though, that is some *very* bad luck. I don't think I've ever seen the same player get three teleports in the same game, much less from the same dungeon.
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 12:49:34 AM »
I was trying Ghor out - mages aren't my favorite, but I'll try any character once.  Thanks to a lucky fight (Brun should have clobbered me, but instead he got killed) and a teleport, I took an early prestige lead.  I was figuring I'd try to keep that up when I got a sorcerer from a dungeon.

I took stock.  I already had a call of the worm and a plague.  The king was at five rot.  If I equipped the sorcerer, cast call of the worm and plague on myself, I'd be at five rot too and could try to kill Banes to get ahead.  Then Magna smacked me around, leaving me at 1 HP.  A Bane spawned next to where I'd retreated.  We killed each other.  Perfect, time to try for a Rot victory!

Long story short, I managed to reach 11 rot by the time I did my last quest (I tried to get a Poppet, failed but got one point of rot) and was at the palace with the key ready.  Seven health, not the best equipment but two Mirror Image spells in hand.  Turned out Sargon was also ready, and didn't want to wait for morning to enter.  He used his key to push his way in next to me, then cast immolate and threw an axe at me.  With just two health left I didn't really have a chance in a Rot battle with the king, and I didn't draw any healing when I went through the item deck.  So I gave up on the Rot victory.

On the bright side, on my last turn I drew the poison knife and equipped it, then killed a Bane to go over 12 Rot.  Not the achievement I was after, but it's something.

Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:54 AM »
I've been trying my best to get a rot victory for a while now and frankly, it makes me cry every time. I just can't get the damn thing.

First, I had everything going smooth, I had a solid inventory of items and way more rot than the king had. I entered the palace when the king had around 4 HP or so, and ended my turn. The next turn, Amber plays Immolate on me. Then, Brun plays Cleansing Wyld twice on me, so now I have less rot than The King. Now, if that wasn't enough, Sana cast Banish on me, sending me as far away from the palace as ###### possible. It was the first time I was genuinely angry with a game. I didn't ragequit, but I understood why people do that. I tried to get my stuff together but it ended up in a Prestige victory.

After four weeks now, it's starting to seem that people are literally willing to do ANYTHING to not see a rot victory. I have never ever seen anyone even going for the rot victory. Every time I try, and trust me, I try it a lot because it's very challenging and honestly at this point, I just want to feel that damn satisfaction. I want my darn rot victory. I've been like a rabid hound running for it for weeks now.

Today, I pulled a rot card straight from the deck on my first turn and a Bane quickly spawned to a dungeon 2 hexes away from me. It looked so promising. I managed to rack up to 5 rot in no time at all, King was still at 3 rot by this point. I spawned a Bane right next to me again and got even more extra rot from it. Then I got a Bastard Sword too, and a Tower Shield and Marauder Gauntlets.

In the end, I got completely locked out of the game. I still have no idea if the group I was playing against was a premade, but in hindsight, the matchmaking indeed was very quick and the three players were there before I was. River was the usual River with so much fight she could probably have ended the entire Earth's population five times with one throw. Amber was stacked up with shields, she had 5 stacked up in the beginning of the fight before anything was rolled or burned. Barnaby was just minding his own business and got up to 10 prestige or so. Amber and River didn't do anything to each other during the whole game. When they got their gear, they just set themselves on the hexes in front of the palace, ensuring that I would not get thru them. Then they just did whatever on their turns or often didn't even act, just letting the timer run out.

*Cries* I don't understand what I'm doing to make people always gang up on me. It seems that every time I play Sargon, everyone just focuses on killing me and not letting me even leave clan grounds.

I just want to enter eternal rest now. But this game will never let me.

Edit: Not to mention an additional frustration of being stuck on level 4 for ages now. Nobody ever gives the star. And I don't mean to me, but as in general.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IT'S EXPERIENCE TO OTHERS
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:38:48 AM by Belmont »

Rob_Silvermyst

• King of Furgasta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
So, had a bit of *fun* in a recent match. I managed to get all four Spirit Stones with Barnaby, I have Hot Rot wine on hand. I got into the palace, used the wine, clicked DIRECTLY ON THE KING...aaaaannnnnddd Barnaby wandered to the space to the right of him, took out the guard and lost to the palace wits trap. I could have won then and there, but due to the game misregistering where I wanted to proceed, it ended up in the end turning into a prestige win for Zosha.

Kenku

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:38 PM »
Big gut wrencher for me was the one that flipping got away.

Situation: Playing Sana as I rotate through the characters for sprint. Decide to try Spirit Kingslayer, but it quicky evovles into Spirit Stone Victory. Quests done, marching to door.

Reach front no problem with time to spare, but forget about guards and promptly die to them. Corrupted Merucio slides in behind me.

Thinking I just lost I groan when a top deck Teleport! Smiling I warp over, wreck Merucio and prepare to banish the king...when the AI Amber ganks me from the settlement behind me in ambush...and propmtly drops me 100-0...at that point I was out of time...man so close yet so farrrrrrr

Yapping Eevee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 11:34:28 PM »
Had to sign up just to relay the incredibly frustrating thing that just happened, so here goes.

Playing as Thane in what would be my eleventh attempt to get "The Winter Wolf", we had a magnificent Mecurio playing everyone for chumps, a River who was giving in to the Rot and generally getting in clashes with Mecurio, and a Magna who was just sort of there.

Mecurio had the Prestige Leader position firmly in hand, but my Thane had managed to skate by mostly unnoticed and end up inside the Palace Grounds with the King still at two health. Dusk is falling, this is going to be it...

River runs into the opposite side of the palace grounds.
Throws down a Strategist,  and attacks! The King is at one health from her ability, and the battle begins...

But wait, the king manages to block everything, and knock her down to one health as well! That means I can swoop in and ...

Oh.

She had a Poppet. King dies, my spirit is crushed.

Redpaws

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »
Start game as Sargon with a Rot amulet.
Guard spawns next to my spawn... In the direction of my first quest.
3 health and no equippable gear. But wait, I got False Orders!
>Can't be cast from clangrounds
Nevermind. Well, lets just try fighting through!
>Lose horribly. Dies.
...Well, maybe if I go around...
>Banes and heroes everywhere. Dies. Again. Proceed to die every single turn.
>Day 5. 10 turns where I've been unable to get further than 3 squares. Die again. Ragequit game.

There's a difference between having a bad game, and being unable to leave spawn for the entirety of it...

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
"Man... the Poison Envy Dice are REALLY cool! I totally want a pair."
A month and half later, and I've transmuted my first pair of Jester's Ruse from 3 Bloodstone/2 Dark Venom dice. I keep at it, earning those Bloodstone and Dark Venom die back. Still no Poison envy.

Just a few days ago, a good friend who had owned Armello for quite a long while decided to get back into the game. We played a few rounds, and on our last game of the night, he got a Trick Key. I'd received a Chest, and we decided to open our drops for the night.
Him: "Oh hey. What is the 'Poisonous Envy Dice'? It's cool..."
Me: "Huh!? It's the rarest dice in this season! Dude, I will trade you LITERALLY every dice in the season for that set."
"Nah, I kinda like these dice. I think I'll use them."

D: