Author Topic: Armello, the RPG  (Read 2441 times)

Jabberwock

• View Profile
Armello, the RPG
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:23:09 AM »
I know some people out there (devs included it seems) have expressed interest in an Armello pen and paper rpg, though it seems any talk of it petered out pretty quickly. Anyways, I am a freelance game designer and longtime dungeon master for multiple systems with a newfound LOVE of Armello so I figured Id try my hand it. So far I have a servicable game that  is mostly a kitbash of a few of my favorites and a smattering of house rules to round it out and give it that Armellian feel.  Has anyone else out there attempted this sort of think or had sucess converting other systems?

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Armello, the RPG
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:18:15 AM »
None that I've heard of, I'd like to hear more about what you made.  Do you keep the Armellian Dice system?  Are HPs drastically raised or what's the "death mechanic"?

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
Wouldn't an Armello RPG basically be Ironclaw...? XD

Jabberwock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
Kletian999:  While I love the Armellian dice system, I believe it is well suited to quick conflict resolution that represents a generalized outcome of any given situation. The heroes of Armello, in my mind at least, are larger than life figures in their respective communities (Thane is a prince after all) or potentially even the world itself. That said I did re purpose some symbols on the dice to meaningful effect. HP in this system's current incarnation is based off of your clan and further modified by your base statistics and as it currently stands death is a permanent feature. Again the heroes of Armello are experienced ones with skills and abilities we don't necessarily get to see and I always imagined something like Mercurio hiring mercenaries to kill Thane ending in him escaping by the skin of his teeth,with the mercenaries too cowardly to present their failure for fear of rat clan retribution, stories within stories if you will.

Dragoncrescent: Ironclaw's system is  a bit crunchy and i never really bothered to learn it too well, but I know it didn't hit the mark I was looking for in an Armello rpg. I wanted simpler mechanics with a larger focus on storytelling , world shaping, and intrigue, so that's what i decided to create.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:19:38 AM by Jabberwock »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »
Ok, so heroes still hit for about the same, but have more HP to avoid the high death count the original game has?

Are you going to post a text document of the rules to allow for a more through review?

Darcy Smith

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Very cool stuff, would be great to see the rules if you have them written up!

Jabberwock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
At the moment the rules are all in a notebook. I will see about putting them together into a text or pdf document. Id love some feedback and to hear the stories people have with this system.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
Dragoncrescent: Ironclaw's system is  a bit crunchy and i never really bothered to learn it too well, but I know it didn't hit the mark I was looking for in an Armello rpg. I wanted simpler mechanics with a larger focus on storytelling , world shaping, and intrigue, so that's what i decided to create.

Crunchy! Hahah! Now that's putting it gently! :D
Yeeeah... Ironclaw's combat system was cumbersome, there's no getting around that. I believe they streamlined it in the new 'Squaring the Circle' manual, but I haven't gotten the chance to test that in a table setting. But I am surprised you didn't enjoy the storytelling aspect. The character creation of Ironclaw effectively forces you to create an interesting, varied, oftentimes flawed character. Really, the setting and the interaction with the historically-researched world was one of Ironclaw's shining points. Honestly, if I was creating an RPG (and who hasn't dreamt of doing so, at some point?), I would have a system similar to Ironclaw for 'personality creation' and one similar to Pathfinder for 'stat gen'.