Author Topic: Comics, Books, Games etc.  (Read 8910 times)

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
Re: Comics, Books, Games etc.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Anyone read any print comics (non-web)? We have a nice comic book store near my house and I wanted to start my first print series (besides Peanuts and other newspaper strips  :D)

My recommendation would be Beasts of Burden. A pack of supernatural-solving dogs and cats. With Hellboy crossover.

Thanks for the additional suggestion @SpiritFox! I'll be sure to look for that one too

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
In terms of print comics, I've actually been following IDW's current TMNT run. It's pretty great - they've done a nice job blending a lot of things from different incarnations into one solid continuity. Definitely appreciated that as a big Turtles fan. :D They've also been changing artists every arc, so visually it stays pretty fresh.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:43:04 PM by Kobb »

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 12:18:39 AM »
I have discovered our own resident artist designs this webcomic!
http://www.westerndeep.net/

taka32

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 12:59:50 AM »
A Redtail's Dream & Stand Still Stay Silent are two that I'd recommend.
aRTD is complete, white SSSS is currently updating. Both are not furry oriented, although aRTD has talking animals, and made by the same person.

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
In terms of print comics, I've actually been following IDW's current TMNT run. It's pretty great - they've done a nice job blending a lot of things from different incarnations into one solid continuity. Definitely appreciated that as a big Turtles fan. :D They've also been changing artists every arc, so visually it stays pretty fresh.

I haven't read any of the recent Turtles stuff, but I've heard it's very good. When I was growing up these guys were everywhere, but a lot of people (myself included) weren't really into the original comics. I managed to pick some up many years into the run, and I liked that take on them. One of these days I'll try and get caught up on their print escapades.

I still consider the original (1990) film to be the best thing anyone's ever done with them, so that kinda remains my benchmark.

As for me, I've been a fan of Marvel since I was a kid. I've always liked DC too, but mostly their spin-off media like TV shows or movies. When it came to comics, it was always the "Big M" for me, and I'm currently following several runs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:45:09 AM by Ratical »

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
The 1990 film is pretty solid, yeah. Still has a tad too strong an 80s 'toon flavor for me to enjoy completely*, but it's pretty spot on with the corresponding events in the comics (aside from switching Raph in for the Foot ambush scene, anyway. Since he was kinda the main character of the film, it made more sense for his arc).

* I somehow never knew this movie existed until high school, even though I was a big fan as a little 'un during the '80s. So sadly, no nostalgia filter.

Kinan Eldari

• Backer
  • "the Solar Force"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
As for me, I've been a fan of Marvel since I was a kid. I've always liked DC too, but mostly their spin-off media like TV shows or movies. When it came to comics, it was always the "Big M" for me, and I'm currently following several runs.

I concur with this. DC's comics had to redo their continuity every single time it seems and the villains are often the more interesting characters than their main ones. Their TV series (both live action and animated) generally turn this around and make their characters more than just flat cardboard ideals.

For comics, Marvel pretty much takes the cake for me besides IDW's MLP comics. You may not like the series, but the comics certainly have their own charm. Just going by Big Mac in the Art of Gazebo Repair. Beyond that? While I read the Amazing Spider-man (and as a result also the Superior Spider-man...  :-\), but I'm a big fan of the Ultimate universe they've created, where they have reinvented characters created in the early, silver and golden ages of comics and succesfully given them a modern twist, from the Avengers (which became the Ultimates) to Spider-man to the X-men and the list goes on. If I had to be honest about actual comics of Marvel that I prefer? I'd point to those.

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
* I somehow never knew this movie existed until high school, even though I was a big fan as a little 'un during the '80s. So sadly, no nostalgia filter.

I think nostalgia's actually the biggest reason I like it so much, so if I didn't have that we'd probably be in the same boat (aka the S.S. This is Pretty Good, But Why's it Gotta Be So Goofy Sometimes?)

For comics, Marvel pretty much takes the cake for me besides IDW's MLP comics. You may not like the series, but the comics certainly have their own charm. Just going by Big Mac in the Art of Gazebo Repair. Beyond that? While I read the Amazing Spider-man (and as a result also the Superior Spider-man...  :-\), but I'm a big fan of the Ultimate universe they've created, where they have reinvented characters created in the early, silver and golden ages of comics and succesfully given them a modern twist, from the Avengers (which became the Ultimates) to Spider-man to the X-men and the list goes on. If I had to be honest about actual comics of Marvel that I prefer? I'd point to those.

Mark Millar's run on the first two volumes of The Ultimates (2002-2007ish) is something I've always really liked. The issues were delayed like crazy, and some of it was kinda schlocky, but they're guilty pleasures. They're like the summer popcorn movies of comics - not necessarily high art, but they sure are entertaining. I think I just liked how bizarre they got at times, and how high the stakes usually were. They were pretty dark and most of the characters were either neurotic, crazy, or just loaded with personal issues. And that's just the good guys. Ditto for Jonathon Hickman's Ultimates run in 2011-2012. The story arc with The Maker and the lead-ins to it were awesome, even if the whole thing fizzled out way too quick.

Right now I'm really liking the current volumes of Avengers, New Avengers, and All-New X-Men. Hawkeye is also a totally fun read, and has a big indie feel.

I've haven't read any of the MLP comics, but I wouldn't be against checking those out. I'm really indifferent on the TV series (is it possible to have degrees of indifference or is it a "wet or dry" situation?), but I don't have anything against  cute stuff either, so I could treat this like a separate beast.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:25:47 PM by Ratical »

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:46 PM »

@8Bit, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing  :)

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

@8Bit, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing  :)

Thank Kobb, he designed it! hehe

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:38 AM »
Crimson Flag might be of interest as well.  An epic battle between grey foxes and red that at the moment seems to have turned the protagonist feral.  Fortunately he can still talk with people thanks to a translation spell, so long as he stays near his assistant.

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 03:38:17 AM »
@Kobb awesome comic Kobb, thanks!

Thanks to everyone else too who responded to my request for print comic suggestions!

KageTempest

• Backer
  • Stormblade of the Obsidian Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »
Crimson Flag might be of interest as well.  An epic battle between grey foxes and red that at the moment seems to have turned the protagonist feral.  Fortunately he can still talk with people thanks to a translation spell, so long as he stays near his assistant.

I follow that Artist on FA, Looks like I need to archive binge :P

Hmmm wow, I can't believe I did not mention this before. But have you guys read HOMESTUCK?

It is quite the Ulysses of the Internet and while it is on Hiatus for the final update, Hussie has Paradox Space, the webcomic running.
The Storm IS my Sword, my Sword IS my Soul, my Soul IS The Storm.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »
Has anyone here read Cucumber Quest? It's probably one of my favorite webcomics. All of the art is lineless and the artist has a great sense of color and form, and the writing is hilarious. It seems to take a lot of inspiration from the Paper Mario series too, which I always loved for it's humor and snappy storytelling.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
Has anyone here read Cucumber Quest? It's probably one of my favorite webcomics. All of the art is lineless and the artist has a great sense of color and form, and the writing is hilarious. It seems to take a lot of inspiration from the Paper Mario series too, which I always loved for it's humor and snappy storytelling.

You had me at cucumber