Author Topic: Comics, Books, Games etc.  (Read 7078 times)

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
Comics, Books, Games etc.
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
So I was kinda inspired by the whole outpouring of talk about old shows/books and webcomics and 88BitProxy's exclamation about "how do you find this stuff", so I decided to create a thread for it: books, comics, tv shows, games etc that you read, watch and enjoy.

No judging! :P

Here's my list:
JACK (Warning: Adult Content)
Kevin and Kell
Commander Kitty
Beasts of Burden (Dead Tree comic. This is just a preview)
Dust: An Elysian Tail - Videogame.
Animals of Farthing Wood (up until the end of The Fox Cub Bold, but before The Siege of White Deer Park, so just about halfway through the series)
Ozy and Millie - ceased in 2008

Non-furry:
The Order of the Stick
Flintlocke - REALLY old, but awesome and Fargo works for Blizzard now.
Gone with the Blastwave - updates whenever
Penny-Arcade
PVP and its associated comic Table Titans
Dilbert (I'm essentially a marketer, so... uh... yay me?)
Nodwick,Full Frontal Nerdityand Use Sword on Monster

Some stuff which I don't really follow:
Twokinds
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Comics, Books, Games etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
oh thanks man i really appreciate this!! im going through The Order of The Stick as we speak!! ill report back but thanks for putting this together!

YouTube | Email

Justin Whitfort

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
If we're mentioning books/web things, Worm absolutely must be mentioned. It's freely available to read online yet one of the best pieces of fiction I've had the pleasure to read, in any medium.
An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.
The story starts off with small issues but keeps getting bigger, and the amount of planning that clearly went into this right from the start is impressive. It is quite a long read (1.75m words) but so worth it. There's interesting and unique superpowers and everyone has believable motivations. Even if you're not a fan of the superhero genre I can still recommend it.
It's worth noting it gets a little dark at times (not so bad as game of thrones in my opinion, but the world's not in a great state and sometimes named characters die) but if that doesn't bother you it's a brilliant read.

Kinan Eldari

• Backer
  • "the Solar Force"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
I have a list of about 40+ all in one folder for webcomics (mainly) in my firefox bookmarks that I open in one click on pretty much any day but saturday (since most don't update then). While I won't throw the entire list down here (unless someone asks me to of course), here are some highlights:

Sinfest. Sometimes cute, sometimes deep (especially more current ones), but always awesome.
Lackadaisy Cats. For those of you who like furry stuff, a comic about a speakeasy in the 1930's, with humans replaced by cats. Excellent art and humour.
Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
Nodwick.com. Already mentioned, I see, but anyway; home of the comics PS238, Full Frontal Nerdity, Use Sword on Monster and the titular Nodwick. Clever and funny comics of various genres from fantasy to contemporary super hero to modern day fantasy to nerd culture commentary (you can figure out which is which when you get there).
Star Power Super hero comic.
Jolly Jack's Collected Curios. Mainly here for the strip Sequential Art, but there is other stuff on there too that's pretty cool.
Stupidfox. Yes. Pretty much what it sounds like.
VGCats Video game commentary, as told by the artist's two cats.
Looking For Group. Take an elven ranger, a homicidal warlock, a troll healer and various others, and what you get is... well... giggles.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:53:53 PM by Kinan Eldari »

Sicarus

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
I discovered a while ago Carol Berg with The Books of the Rai-Kirah and it became a must read for me, rarely went through a book and being so deep into it. It's dark and imaginative. I was bit less absorbed by the two following, maybe because the first one was good on itself, no clifhanger or anything telling you there's more to tell...Like most movie trilogies.

Now i'm into The bridge of d'Arnath, less dark but still well writen. (and my first book i really read in english, woo)

About comics, my all time favorite is De cape et de Crocs
The only problem if it's not really translatable, lots of poetry, and word play, but if you ever understand french... (For the furries out there ;) )

Other good comic they apparently translated in english, is Universal War One. Some good sci-fi ;)

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
I guess if we're talking non-furry comics, there's one in particular that I want to mention.  http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ has been updating daily since 6/12/2000, and I think it's one of the better story-driven comics out there.

I've also been following the questionably furry http://freefall.purrsia.com/grayff.htm  for some time.  You can set it to display color on the more recent strips, but I started reading long before the colorist joined and prefer grayscale.

Also, I don't do a lot with forums and I have no idea how you put a name up instead of the website.  :P

Kinan Eldari

• Backer
  • "the Solar Force"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Also, I don't do a lot with forums and I have no idea how you put a name up instead of the website.  :P

you type [ url = www.google.com ] whatever you want to be the link here [ / url ] and then without the spaces.

Then you get this This be a link ta Google, yo. : )

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »

Kevin and Kell

I actually wasn't sure if this one was still running, but, hey, it's alive since 1995. That's dedication! I think Sabrina Online's been chugging along since 1996, and that's equally impressive. I'd link to Sabrina, but I'm actually really hesitant. Not because the comic's especially racey or anything,  because of all the adult ads on that site. Most people who are into furry webcomics would already know about that one anyway (I would hope!).

Another notable one is Over the Hedge, the comic strip the Dreamworks film was based on. This one's also been around (in print) since '95, but the online archives only go back to 2004. Hammy's cute, what can I say?

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

Kevin and Kell

I actually wasn't sure if this one was still running, but, hey, it's alive since 1995. That's dedication! I think Sabrina Online's been chugging along since 1996, and that's equally impressive. I'd link to Sabrina, but I'm actually really hesitant. Not because the comic's especially racey or anything,  because of all the adult ads on that site. Most people who are into furry webcomics would already know about that one anyway (I would hope!).

Another notable one is Over the Hedge, the comic strip the Dreamworks film was based on. This one's also been around (in print) since '95, but the online archives only go back to 2004. Hammy's cute, what can I say?

Hammy is awesome but Verne was the best!!!! over the hedge!

YouTube | Email

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:48:52 AM »
Anyone read any print comics (non-web)? We have a nice comic book store near my house and I wanted to start my first print series (besides Peanuts and other newspaper strips  :D)

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
Anyone read any print comics (non-web)? We have a nice comic book store near my house and I wanted to start my first print series (besides Peanuts and other newspaper strips  :D)

I highly recommend the graphic novel Parker! It follows a hitman seeking revenge in the 1960's, has great writing, and beautiful art.

Jason Bakker

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
    • Jason-Bakker.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
I highly recommend the graphic novel Parker! It follows a hitman seeking revenge in the 1960's, has great writing, and beautiful art.

Sounds really cool - so it's a current-day graphic novel adaptation of the Parker series from the '60s? This seems like a really interesting concept.

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »

Thanks! I'll be sure to look for it next time I go to the store

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

My recommendation would be Beasts of Burden. A pack of supernatural-solving dogs and cats. With Hellboy crossover.
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

KageTempest

• Backer
  • Stormblade of the Obsidian Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:28:47 PM »
I will mention a few more webcomics that have not been mentioned as of yet.

Both of which are pretty much defunct now, but in the early 2000's they were pretty popular amongst the Therian subgenre of the Furry Fandom. Take that as a warning I guess. Also, mature stuffs like violence, harsh language, and some pretty damn dark concepts. Actually, both of these stories are pretty much as dark and NSFW as Jack. You have been warned.

Black Tapestrieshttp://blacktapestries.com/?comic=20020711
Shifters (well... just checked the original website... it is borked, not sure if people would be interested in the artist's beginning art style either.)
The Storm IS my Sword, my Sword IS my Soul, my Soul IS The Storm.