Author Topic: True Tail - fantasy flash series in development.  (Read 5276 times)

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
Re: True Tail - fantasy flash series in development.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
For me, darkness =/= depth. You can say something meaningful in a light, fluffy, kid-friendly setting, and you can wallow uselessly in cynical grit too. My personal preference is actually somewhere in the middle - let the light and dark highlight each other and produce an actual emotional range.

As for this? Don't know enough to get excited or anything, but it looks cute and I might give it a look someday.

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »
This looks cute, and I like the animation. What can make or break these kinds of shows for me is if they're able to make me laugh. I didn't get a big impression of what the writing is like, so I guess we'll see.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
For me, darkness =/= depth. You can say something meaningful in a light, fluffy, kid-friendly setting, and you can wallow uselessly in cynical grit too. My personal preference is actually somewhere in the middle - let the light and dark highlight each other and produce an actual emotional range.

As for this? Don't know enough to get excited or anything, but it looks cute and I might give it a look someday.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one, Kobb. Like for example, Avatar: The Last Airbender was able to handle dark themes while never letting go of it's sense of humor, innocence, or optimism, and I love seeing things like that.

Looking at this animation, it looks cute and when it comes out I wouldn't mind giving it a look. Doesn't look too terribly engaging from the trailer, but at the same time, there's nothing wrong with making a lighthearted children's adventure show either.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
Heh, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers with my curmudgeonliness ( <--- this is a word now), I just was delighted there was someone else in the community that has been soured by the dominant trends in film (in particular) and animation (less so, but there are fewer people taking risks with adult subject matter here too as compared to the past).

It kind of pisses me off that R-rated films have become persona non grata to many US film studios after lengthy marketing studies emphatically supported the hypothesis that they were not profitable. I have barely seen any movies in this past year...the last was "Wolf on Wall Street," which was a true visceral treat for me. Not to say a fluffy, well-animated kids' show is not valuable, on the contrary...it can and should exist with doge's blessing and deserves a loyal following. The same is true for something not specifically for kids but not dark or heavy--never going to say the story is bad just because I did not care for it. 

I am just being cranky because there is less stuff out there for me compared to the recent past, and the stuff that is there is more difficult to find.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Heh, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers with my curmudgeonliness ( <--- this is a word now), I just was delighted there was someone else in the community that has been soured by the dominant trends in film (in particular) and animation (less so, but there are fewer people taking risks with adult subject matter here too as compared to the past).

It kind of pisses me off that R-rated films have become persona non grata to many US film studios after lengthy marketing studies emphatically supported the hypothesis that they were not profitable. I have barely seen any movies in this past year...the last was "Wolf on Wall Street," which was a true visceral treat for me. Not to say a fluffy, well-animated kids' show is not valuable, on the contrary...it can and should exist with doge's blessing and deserves a loyal following. The same is true for something not specifically for kids but not dark or heavy--never going to say the story is bad just because I did not care for it. 

I am just being cranky because there is less stuff out there for me compared to the recent past, and the stuff that is there is more difficult to find.

No feathers ruffled at all. I completely understand what you're saying, and I enjoy films and series with darker slants to them as well (Wolf on Wall Street was a seriously enjoyable film, by the way. Leo's performance was outstanding.), and it gets frustrating not seeing any material out there to scratch that itch.

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 02:05:38 AM »
@ left cross, I thought some of the recent really well done light and fluffy kids shows would be Gravity Falls,  My Little Pony and Adventure Time. However, all of these shows have a decent amount of morbid humor and dark themes while retaining optimism and the fluffy motif. Adventure Time can definitely get scary,
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:45:02 AM by Georgesquares »

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 03:17:28 AM »
Truth is that I am not a television watcher in the first place. We have Netflix and Amazon Video, but my husband uses those much more than I. I will intermittently turn on Gordon Ramsay, Top Gear or Happy Tree Friends. Typically, I will watch a bit more TV on the road--a hotel room with Food Network is my best friend.

I have seen a couple episodes of Adventure Time, though, and my overall impression was positive. The underlying social commentary really works for me there, and the oddball themes are charming.

But whatever you do, do not even imply that I should watch MLP ever again. Pour votre santé. (Honestly, I mean this in the nicest possible way...but just no).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:21:11 AM by Leftcross »

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
Heheh, no feathers ruffled here either. Just was offering my point of view. I can definitely relate to the frustration of not having enough of a type of media you love to consume. c:

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
I don't think universal appeal would be lost for both children and adults with the right approach. Wakfu is a good example.

Zarpaulus

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »
Update, Viktor Expressions.

Viktor is still my favourite! thanks for this!

BloodyTrollop

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 04:14:35 AM »
I think it looks like something that will either be an underground classic or something quickly forgotten. I like the animation and character design though.