Author Topic: Sniper Rifle Cards  (Read 1418 times)

Bormac

• Armello's dragons need a home!
    • View Profile
Sniper Rifle Cards
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:26:09 AM »
No, I don't mean actual guns. But I mean spell cards, or trickery cards that cause damage, or other effects, that are played on a tile.
A lot of them can be played to many tiles and go up as perils. But most games I play they aren't used this way. They are instead used as sniper Rifles, waiting until you know whatever tile a person is on then dropping the cards on that tile until the person dies. Because if a card is played to your tile, there is no way to dodge or resist it. Even if you could encounter it as a peril and have a perfectly fine chance of resisting or avoiding them.
It leads to multiplayer games being VERY light on perils because people will just use them as kill cards A lot of the time I see no perils on the board at all.

I just think that you should get a chance to resist cards that are played to you, or to your tile, at least to some degree. I mean, I've killed someone with hot rot wine, for example. I'm glad they just stood still and let me pour it down their throat. If people get a chance to resist these cards then maybe we can go back to having perils on the board. I think that would be nice.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Sniper Rifle Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »
I absolutely agree Perils should be resist able on direct play.  Non-peril cards lack a symbol key so would take a bit more work to code in if they wanted to include those.

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I agree too.  Let us roll for a chance to resist/escape the Peril dropped on us. Otherwise they're just Spell Cards.

Obviously if they're dropped on us, while we are Stealthed, they just become a Board Peril. Not effecting us at all and not giving away our position.

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
/signed

As the game surely demands more cards in future updates (or maybe the players demand them!) it would be a possible move to just make "Perils" and "Spells"different cards? Perils only to be played to tile cards and being resistable and Spells being the unavoidable source of destruction.

Other than that you could just differentiate between the Peril doing full damage if not resisted and a weaker version doing less damage if used as a spell. Thats something I have seen a lot in MtG- it adds up another strategic option: do I use the card to leave a hazardous peril on the tile or do I go for a safer, but weaker direct approach. The downside would be the addition of another element to confuse beginning players.

The easiest way would be the proposed dice roll against sniper-Cards...with the downside of another dicethrow in an already time-consumine-dice-throwing game.
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:44:15 PM »
With Peril dice, they just need to cut off the rolls when failure is guaranteed (less symbols than dice still rolling, non wyld's outstanding) like when they usually cut off once all symbols are satisfied.  If the game is faster in other places, a few more dice rolls won't hurt.

Rakkun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:11:32 AM »
How about just make it unable to use Perils on occupied spaces?

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 02:16:33 AM »
Direct play is fun; if you could never direct play a peril, they'd be used EVEN less than they are now.  I just want the resistance chance to be more meaningful.

Rakkun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 02:31:18 AM »
I usually use Perils to force players to take detours or to make then burn cards when the King has low health.

RiKShaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:21 AM »
Better yet is that perils and spells should be seperate cards in seperate decks. That way when you're looking to lock down a tile/area you can draw from the perils deck and when you're looking for direct aggression (or direct buffs) you can draw on spells.

The 3 decks at the moment are a bit of a pisstake in what you get. You've got:
  • Mostly useless all game but occasionally useful early game
  • Useful if you have mana
  • Mostly useless but at least it's something to spend gold on