Author Topic: Injured and sick  (Read 2869 times)

macoman1

Injured and sick
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
So I just got home from Arizona and now I am hurting badly. I have a major sprain on my ankle with terrible bruising and a stomach bug that not even vomitting three times in the space of an hour can get rid of. Worse is that chances are I'll still be this sick for my bday in a few days. Anyone got any advice to get through this because I'm close to tears I'm hurting so badly.  :'( Thank you for listening and sorry if I seem like I'm attention grabbing...I'm just so miserable.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Injured and sick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »
hey man that sucks to hear!!! can i play doctor and ask what are your symptoms? where do you hurt most, is there anything unique happening?

YouTube | Email

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
I'm not doctor, but if you need some immediate pain relief in your ankle, try using something called Arnica oil. I used to be on a water polo team and got beat up badly and frequently, and it works damn well at getting rid of muscle pain. I've even used it for things like having knots in backs and, while it won't make it heal faster, it certainly makes it bearable. Also, try and stay off your feet if you can!

I don't want to give real medical advise for the stomach bug (because again, not a doctor!), but warm ginger ale is usually soothing at the least, it might help calm your stomach down. Also, I think you can get antibiotics for that!

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Oh goodness, that is a bad double-whammy.. Here is what you need to do (spoken as a biologist that trains nurses):

The stomach virus is the more critical of the two. You need to keep guzzling water to keep yourself hydrated until you stop vomiting. Once you do, continue to sip on liquids, preferably full of sugar to give you some energy, but not too acidic (banana nectar is perfect, or a homemade cola syrup over ice). You should rest stationary as for a few hours at this time until your stomach finally decides to stop spasming. Once you are ready to move a bit, try to eat something semi-solid, like applesauce or pudding. If you can keep that down, then try some steamed rice (which you should definitely salt up to replace electrolytes). Good thing about stomach bugs is that they do not last more than 24 hours...last time I had one, I beat it in 8 with a little willpower and this same process.

I have dealt with plenty of ankle sprains in my hiking history. The sprain will hurt for a while, but there is nothing to do but let it heal on its own. If you are currently wearing a shoe, keep it on. If not, do not attempt to put one on. You need to immobilize the ankle. Brace it by tying a tight bandage around the sole of your foot and over your anklebone, leaving the heel exposed. Alternatively, you can purchase an ankle brace. Ice it to ease the swelling and the pain and try to keep the ankle still, but you actually need to keep moving while letting it heal. Continue to put pressure on the leg and joint, just do not let the ankle bend too much. Once it is feeling better, have a hot soak to get the blood flowing and begin to clear all of the junk that collected in the inflamed region. Ket me know if you need more tips! 

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Oh goodness, that is a bad double-whammy.. Here is what you need to do (spoken as a biologist that trains nurses):

The stomach virus is the more critical of the two. You need to keep guzzling water to keep yourself hydrated until you stop vomiting. Once you do, continue to sip on liquids, preferably full of sugar to give you some energy, but not too acidic (banana nectar is perfect, or a homemade cola syrup over ice). You should rest stationary as for a few hours at this time until your stomach finally decides to stop spasming. Once you are ready to move a bit, try to eat something semi-solid, like applesauce or pudding. If you can keep that down, then try some steamed rice (which you should definitely salt up to replace electrolytes). Good thing about stomach bugs is that they do not last more than 24 hours...last time I had one, I beat it in 8 with a little willpower and this same process.

I have dealt with plenty of ankle sprains in my hiking history. The sprain will hurt for a while, but there is nothing to do but let it heal on its own. If you are currently wearing a shoe, keep it on. If not, do not attempt to put one on. You need to immobilize the ankle. Brace it by tying a tight bandage around the sole of your foot and over your anklebone, leaving the heel exposed. Alternatively, you can purchase an ankle brace. Ice it to ease the swelling and the pain and try to keep the ankle still, but you actually need to keep moving while letting it heal. Continue to put pressure on the leg and joint, just do not let the ankle bend too much. Once it is feeling better, have a hot soak to get the blood flowing and begin to clear all of the junk that collected in the inflamed region. Ket me know if you need more tips!

Forget what I said Dr Tigger has got it covered!!

YouTube | Email

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »
I'm not doctor, but if you need some immediate pain relief in your ankle, try using something called Arnica oil. I used to be on a water polo team and got beat up badly and frequently, and it works damn well at getting rid of muscle pain. I've even used it for things like having knots in backs and, while it won't make it heal faster, it certainly makes it bearable. Also, try and stay off your feet if you can!

I don't want to give real medical advise for the stomach bug (because again, not a doctor!), but warm ginger ale is usually soothing at the least, it might help calm your stomach down. Also, I think you can get antibiotics for that!

I hate to be so blunt, but do not follow this advice. A sprain is not a muscle injury. The only topical treatment that would possibly help is DMSO (purified linament) which addresses inflammation, but it is awfully expensive.

Stomach viruses are not bacteria, thus antibiotics will do nothing. As I said, the virus will take its course in 24 hours or less. The warm ginger ale, however, is a fine idea (when you stop vomiting, another potential drink).

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

I hate to be so blunt, but do not follow this advice. A sprain is not a muscle injury. The only topical treatment that would possibly help is DMSO (purified linament) which addresses inflammation, but it is awfully expensive.

Stomach viruses are not bacteria, thus antibiotics will do nothing. As I said, the virus will take its course in 24 hours or less. The warm ginger ale, however, is a fine idea (when you stop vomiting, another potential drink).

No worries! Listen to the guy who knows what he's talking about, forget what I said. I was speaking from a pretty uneducated standpoint, and I certainly don't want to spread misinformation! Thanks for nipping that, Leftcross.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:38:37 PM by Tea »

macoman1

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
Thank you guys very much! So I've been drinking some juice that we give to my little brother. Would juice be sugery but not too acidic?

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
Thank you guys very much! So I've been drinking some juice that we give to my little brother. Would juice be sugery but not too acidic?
Having a drink that is not acidic is more of a comfort thing. Because your stomach is completely empty after vomiting and irrigating lots of water through it, your body is going to attempt to produce more acid to prepare to consume something, which is going to make your GI tract feel very sour. This along with the irritation that the bug caused makes it difficult to get food down. Drinking anything too acidic before you eat can aggravate your stomach more, is all. When you do start eating again, eat very slowly! It took me 30 minutes to eat a small dish of applesauce last time it happened.

ChuRenDel

• Backer
  • The Champion of Armello
    • View Profile
    • ChuRenDel's DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
Now this is what I call a loving community that looks after its members.

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
Oh my! That's too bad :/
Just keep resting and get well
And also, have a bubble tea to let you getting well :P
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

macoman1

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
Good news. The vomiting has stopped. Now I just feel tired so I think it's time for a nap and hopefully feel better in the morning.

ChuRenDel

• Backer
  • The Champion of Armello
    • View Profile
    • ChuRenDel's DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Sleep would be the best course of action. Sleep well, dear friend.

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
The only things I know about healing are pretty much, that blackberry juice helps on a cold, and locally its thought that drinking Jaffa/fanta helps against puking.  :o

But hang in there. you should get better following the advice people have told you. (I think)

macoman1

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
Well status update. I am no longer vomiting and my fever is less severe. My trips to the bathroom are still painful but I don't have to do so as often anymore. My sprain is also able to be walked on now (The sprain wasn't new....just that combined with being sick it was a little too much lol) All in all I feel much better. Thanks for helping me through that monstrosity of a day guys :D