Author Topic: Perils  (Read 1491 times)

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
Perils
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:39:48 AM »
Perils are cool.  Now, I'm wondering, should we be able to see them?

That's the beauty of a digital board game. Invisibility is possible. I would love the uncomfortable feeling of not knowing where it's safe to tread.

Seing only Perils you have placed and maybe the Kings Perils, on the board, would be sweet.

Or maybe... Stealth Perils!    8)   Everything stays as is... but some Peril Cards are given Stealth status. Only revealing themselves to the unlucky adventurer, stumbling onto them.  The Log saying something vague, such as 'so-in-so just placed a Peril to an undisclosed location'.

Oooh, the possibilities.  What do you guys think about the beauty that is Perils?

Echo

• View Profile
Re: Perils
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 05:31:58 AM »
This is actually an excellent suggestion. This would not only make perils be more like perils but give a greater value for the scout ability.

Only one issue, cards that are applied to perils:
-Cursed Lands
-Expendables
-Agent of Misfortune

How would players be able to apply them if they can't see perils other than their own and palace grounds?

The Observer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:36 AM »
Perils currently have two uses: dissuasion and their actual intended effect. I can plop down a cheap crooks on my town, and without scout an opposing player has no way of knowing what it is - could very well be a cat burglar, or so forth. That effect is lost when they become invisible.

I would not be against certain perils being made "stealthed", but they would have to be balanced around such.

Gusteon

• Backer
  • Fluffy and cuddly, but mind the teeth~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 05:59:26 AM »
I REALLY like the idea of Stealth Perils. It keeps the use of Agents of Misfortune, Cursed Lands, and to some extent Expendables, but might also make some cards like Moonbite more tempting to play as a peril rather than a direct effect.

It also makes sense immersion-wise, as Hidden Trap isn't exactly... hidden :p While other perils make sense to be "seen" as I'm sure our Heroes would hear about the Plague in the next town over, or see that there is a Blizzard rolling over the nearby mountain and so forth.

Something worth thinking about in my book! :D

Zsword

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 06:04:04 AM »
The problem with this comes from a board game perspective, rather than a lore or balance issue. Anyone who pays attention knows already, generally, what every peril is. The game tells you straight up 'Player played X peril to Y tile', you just have to remember it happened. This also goes for equipment and followers, everyone can see everyone's gear at all times, partly because it's called out. This simulates the exchange of cash and card placement to a sort of DM, or at the least as a fairness policy to the other Players. (I personally say this is a game played with a DM player who manages most game mechanics, such as Bane and KG movement, and resolving King's Decrees.)

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
Some great replies so far.  Very  8)

Echo:  That's very true. All Perils being invisible, wouldn't really work for those reasons. I didn't think of that. Thanks.
              I meant all Kings Perils, not just Palace Grounds... moot now though.

Gusteon:  You win best reply so far.  From answering certain questions and bringing up Lore points. A  ;D for you.

Zsword:  Other than that I have mentioned a change to the Log etc, telling you no information on a Stealthed Peril being placed, I'm afraid your reply is confusing to me. DM? among other things in your reply.

Zsword

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
Dungeon master? Armello is almost entirely set up to be flawlessly played as a real table top game, it would just require an extra player not playing the PCs to handle elements that are out of all PC control.

As such, it is impossible to fairly play a peril 'secretly', as you would have to call out the peril being played, explain the cost, and actually transfer over resources back into the 'bank'.

You claim Armello's beauty is in being a digital board game that can work around such elements, I claim it's beauty is as a digitized board game that acknowledges and merely smooths out a bit of the 'tedium' of a real board game.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:22:59 AM »
Actually the paper prototype the devs test new rules with requires 2 human GMs to manage the mechanics at reasonable speed.

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
Dungeon master? Armello is almost entirely set up to be flawlessly played as a real table top game, it would just require an extra player not playing the PCs to handle elements that are out of all PC control.

As such, it is impossible to fairly play a peril 'secretly', as you would have to call out the peril being played, explain the cost, and actually transfer over resources back into the 'bank'.

You claim Armello's beauty is in being a digital board game that can work around such elements, I claim it's beauty is as a digitized board game that acknowledges and merely smooths out a bit of the 'tedium' of a real board game.

Ok. Thanks. Now I understand your previous post.

Sure, it wouldn't work on the tabletop but I'm not playing on a tabletop.  I'm playing a virtual game where this is possible. The beauty is everywhere in this game. I didn't and don't claim Armellos' beauty is in it being a digital board game, where this is possible. I'm just saying it's a beautiful perk of this kind of game being made and available to play digitaly.