Author Topic: What is the Berserker?  (Read 5138 times)

MadFerret

• Backer
    • View Profile
What is the Berserker?
« on: May 29, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
This may seem like a silly idea for a thread, but it's honestly something that's been bugging me a bit. Despite, or because of, the online communities I come from, I have a bit of a pet peeve when it comes to people try to depict a character as a certain animal species, but do not go all the way to make it recognizably that species. I see so many 'green lizard thing?" or  "Generic canine face on any carnivora"... Now, the Berserker is not THAT bad... but I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

I've heard badger, which is kind of likely... I've also heard Ermine which is really much LESS likely...

I'm willing to think it was intended to be a badger, either European or Honey. For European badger, the biggest problem is the face markings. European badgers have really unique facial markings. You can recognize them anywhere. You can also see the shape of the head might not fit the sloping shape that european badgers have... Also, this might just be my nitpick, but the tail looks a bit long for a European badger.

HONEY badger on the other hand seems much more likely. Face kind of works, tail seems accurate... but the problem again comes down to those face markings. As you can see, with expection to the top strip there, honey badgers are COMPLETELY black. I can see artistic styling to bring out facial expressions more (all the expression of that stoic gaze, I must say :P) but you tend to lose a bit of the species. That is assuming it IS a honey badger.

For all I know, it could just be "Generic badger". That would make me kind of sad. All badgers are unique and distinguishable. Each has their own look and their own charms, and I hope to learn what that species to meant to be soon!

What do you guys think?

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: What is the Berserker?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
I believe the creators said it was a badger, particularly inspired by European badgers (because of the European theme of the game), though I think I remember them saying they also thought of Honey Badgers notorious ferocity in creating it. I think the exaggerations to the anatomy you commented on (the head not being as sloped, the tail being a bit long), were stylistic choices made in making the character.

Kind of like when designing a human character, we all have more or less the same shape, but people still have different builds, different face shapes.... I think the liberties were taken to help communicate his role as a Berserker and probably his personality. ; )

Krillos

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:02:11 PM »
I think you're overthinking this a bit too much. No matter how you look at it, it is still a normal looking badger since it lacks the black face and the long tail like a honey badger, and it does look more like an European type since it's face has the black and white stripes.

So there's no need to keep BADGERING it any further. ;D

By the way, speaking about badgers, has anyone met one in real life?

Vryl

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
I think you're overthinking this a bit too much. No matter how you look at it, it is still a normal looking badger since it lacks the black face and the long tail like a honey badger, and it does look more like an European type since it's face has the black and white stripes.

There used to be one in a zoo that I go to sometimes, but since it was  in a fairly small enclosure it spent most of its time either sleeping or digging at the door to get out.  Eventually they replaced it as an exhibit, probably because of this escapist tendency.

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »
Well, at the very least, him being a badger is confirmed by the backer avatars, since all his pics are labeled "Avatar_Badger_##".

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3j5129dvfvnn4v0/AACvjF34k6lxuX0kOanEnwPBa/512

His stripe pattern's a little different than your run-of-the-mill European badger (he doesn't have that solid white going down his muzzle), but that could just be artistic license. Most of the other species at least have a thin strip of white there, too.

Maybe he's so berserk because he has an identity crisis.

Krillos

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:53:10 AM »

There used to be one in a zoo that I go to sometimes, but since it was  in a fairly small enclosure it spent most of its time either sleeping or digging at the door to get out.  Eventually they replaced it as an exhibit, probably because of this escapist tendency.

I've actually met a wild one few years back when I went out with my parents's dog. On my way back, there it stood on the middle of the little road. I was shocked upon seeing it, it was the first time I've seen a badger and how close I've gotten to it. I wasn't sure if it noticed me or not nor do I know how well their eyesights are. Though I noticed it was bit small (learned from my late grandfather that an adult badger is a lot more bigger), which I suspect it might be a young one. Worried that it may lead to a conflict with the dog, I said "OY!" to it and it took off like its butt was on fire to the nearest forest. That was an unusual experience of my life, I must say.

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:45 AM »
To me it actually looks a lot like an American badger's facial markings. The only thing missing is the center white stripe, possibly for artistic reasons (or perhaps it terminates higher on the head, under the helmet?).

While it's a "vaguely European" setting, I don't imagine that "literally only European" is a hard Rule... so if this is the case, it doesn't bother me. c:

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »

(J/K badgers are awesome.)

I missed this question this first time, but I haven't had the pleasure. American, European, or Honey-flavored. They're really cool-looking fellas, so I hope I get the chance.

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
I honestly think the badger markings are a bit of artistic mistake. As Kobb mentioned, the closest thing it looks like is an american badger, although the pattern still isn't quite right (because the face does look very weaselly). It does have a badger tail, though. I think this is just early concept art, so the looks might change a bit.