Author Topic: "Random" dungeon events  (Read 1049 times)

Echo

• View Profile
"Random" dungeon events
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
I'm getting the distinct feeling this game hates me to the core.

Every single quest I take on is marked at the foot of a guard so I need to attack them to move away, without exception. My very last quest was on a dungeon tile however free from guards miles away. That tile rolled teleport 3 times in a row always throwing me to the other side of the map.

Now guards, that's just my dumb luck I guess but teleport 3 times in a row from a dungeon? My only consolation prize is the achievement related to that. I think dungeons should be adjusted so they don't repeat the previous event twice in a row. If a specific dungeon was triggered to spawn a Bane, it shouldn't do it the next time somebody steps on it. Same with teleport. First time, fine, I'll live. Second time? I'll laugh it off... 3rd time is taking the piss.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:37:28 AM by Echo »

The Observer

• View Profile
Re: "Random" dungeon events
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Random is as random does. The fact that you stepped into a portal the first time has no effect on the chances of you stepping into a second one. Standard gambler's fallacy.

If you really have to get somewhere, how about not stepping on dungeon tiles?

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:18:11 AM »
If you really have to get somewhere, how about not stepping on dungeon tiles?

As mentioned the quest marker was a dungeon tile. And that exact tile teleported me away 3 times in a row. Irony is just before I even got there the first time I burned a card in battle that meant to teleport me there as the furthest dungeon. Didnt have high enough spirit so I was like meh. Then I step on a dungeon and find magic. My sessions are so much tragic comedy I should record them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:22:31 AM by Echo »

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 03:45:46 AM »
Having Quests resolve before Dungeon searches could fix this little annoyance.  Warping around and Banes are the...um...banes of some of my games.

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:00:59 AM »
Having Quests resolve before Dungeon searches could fix this little annoyance.  Warping around and Banes are the...um...banes of some of my games.
Well issue is with that is the game being coded to follow a resolution priority.

1. Battle
2. Peril
3. Tile effect
4. Player effect (poison)
5. Quests
6. Player action

If we look at that priority list it would cause an imbalance if the quest gets a higher priority. The only possible resolution is making it so the specific dungeon doesn't roll the same result twice in a row.

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 04:15:36 AM »
Well issue is with that is the game being coded to follow a resolution priority.

1. Battle
2. Peril
3. Tile effect
4. Player effect (poison)
5. Quests
6. Player action

If we look at that priority list it would cause an imbalance if the quest gets a higher priority. The only possible resolution is making it so the specific dungeon doesn't roll the same result twice in a row.

Yeah, maybe.  If it isn't possible to change just the Dungeon tiles priority list.