Author Topic: Talent concepts  (Read 1703 times)

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
Talent concepts
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
All I have been doing is talk about furries and booze over the past couple of days--time to get my head back in the game!

Without a doubt, the most significant game element that is still up in the air are talents. They alone will add uniqueness to characters that could otherwise play the same with a few stat tweaks. I am champing at the bit to see how they will be implemented. Will they be simpler (using existing gameplay mechanics) or more complex (introduce character-specific gamechangers) or a combination?

Time will tell, of course, but for now my brain is awash in possibilities of how to change the rules to give your character an edge by prioritizing talents. Balance is a big issue here. I predict talent investments as high risk/reward, while item/card investments are inherently low risk/modest reward.

Since speculation is fun, here are three ideas for talents I had for the character I want to play most--the otter butcher--focusing on gamechanging dynamics. Tried my best to have them provide strategic advantages without being overpowered:

Dark Covenant (innate talent): Worm symbols rolled during the day hit; worm symbols rolled at night explode. Conversely, Wyld symbols rolled during the day fail outright and do not explode at night. [This trade-off is completely equal, but it effectively makes him stronger at night and weaker during the day.]

Sanguine Embrace (Rot path talent, lower tier): When slain in combat by a bane, you gain 2 Rot instead of 1. [Investment does not directly aid in fighting ability, enemy players could prey on you or kill the banes before they get to you, but if you can rot away really quickly...]

Sadistic Feast (Combat path talent, upper tier): For every two wounds inflicted to an opponent beyond what was needed to slay them (overkill), recover 1 health/wound. [Makes an offense-heavy build much more viable and survivable, but only available at endgame.]

Toss out your ideas and speculation!

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Talent concepts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:03:03 AM »
Really playing up that dark in the Dark Butcher, huh?  :D I like it, though. He seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't mind losing himself a little to the Rot to help with his Hero-skewering. Doesn't strike me as the type of character who'll have too much health to begin with, so gaining some through Sadistic Feast may not actually be too bad.  But if you somehow managed to build him as a defensive character, it might end up being really effective and he'd wind up as the best of both worlds.

Sanguine Embrace (Rot path talent, lower tier): When slain in combat by a bane, you gain 2 Rot instead of 1. [Investment does not directly aid in fighting ability, enemy players could prey on you or kill the banes before they get to you, but if you can rot away really quickly...]

I think a rot-based strategy like this could be really cool if someone were able to pull it off. You'd actively be seeking Banes, but you'd have to lose to them too if you want it to work, so there's a risk-reward to the whole thing.

Trying to think up some myself.

Mercurio
Lordly Bravado: Mercurio becomes empowered by each underling under his command and gains +1 Fight for every Follower. I'm not sure how common Followers are supposed to be (none of them showed up in the streams, but they could just not be in that build), but you'd have a potential max of +3 if you managed to get a full party by endgame. If he managed to find a War Horn and play it at max recruits he'd end up with +6 at the cost of 4 gold. If everything falls into place he could end up being absurdly powerful, but you're still kinda at the mercy of the luck of the draw when it comes to finding everything you need.

Amber
Spendthrift: Amber's smart shopping and natural charisma reduce the gold cost of all cards by 1. Probably wouldn't affect talent costs or quests. Tries to play to her one definite strength of having more moolah than anyone else.
Dungeon Hopper: Reduces the chance to encounter Banes and increases the chance of finding items or gold from dungeon tiles. Maybe increase the chance of finding rare treasures too?
Alertness: Amber's sensitive ears warn her of unseen danger, and gains a +1 (2?) shield bonus when ambushed. It's like a free Trusty Shield whenever someone tries to get the drop on her, but she still wouldn't be able to burn cards.

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:12:49 AM »
Well, if we are thinking up talents...

Sana

The calming forest: Gain 1 health when waking in a forest. (basicly, when the time transitions from night to day, you gain 1 health back)

Spread the word: gain extra magic from settlements.

Bear warcaster I had to...

Warrior of wyld: gains an extra sword die against banes and characters with rot.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »
Ah, good stuff!

Your Mercurio suggestion could be crazy-powerful combining any follower effects on combat, but it is reasonable just as long as it is top-tier...inasmuch as other characters also have aces in the hole to pit against you by that time.

While the latter 2 are great, Amber's first is way OP (even endgame), given how scarce gold can be to come by for some players. I would without a doubt just boost my wits and let consumable items/trickeries fly with reckless abandon to make the most of the talent--to the chagrin of everyone else. I would say giving a 1 gold discount to equipping items and recruiting followers (only) is perfectly reasonable, though.

===

For the bears, Sana's are great--I actually had your first suggestion in the front of my mind, too!

I think the warcaster's talent is a bit underpowered--I would make that an automatic bonus sword, just as long as he himself does not have any rot, which is an important consideration. Along the same vein, I could definitely see bear-oriented talents to either resist or expunge rot.