Author Topic: Obligatory Introduction  (Read 1751 times)

Banzailizard

• View Profile
Obligatory Introduction
« on: September 12, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »
I've been on enough forums to know that when there is an introduction board, it is generally considered good manners to post there first. So here I am doing that, treading the well worn path of social tradition.

While I do like video games, I actually bough Armello because I am an avid tabletop and board game enthusiast.  It is actually a bit light compared with my normal fare of Twilight Imperium (such a monster of a game but I love it), a Few Acres of Snow (even if it is unbalanced)  or Diplomacy (because who needs friends), but its shortness is somewhat refreshing.

On the video game side my favorites tend to be Pardox titles (Crusader Kings 2, EUIV), the Civilization Series, and a plethora of smaller games.  Again these are pretty time intensive games, which is somewhat at odds with my ability to play them, as I tend to work long hours, and be involved in far too many things.  I'd like to play Armello online eventually, but it will probably require some sort of prearranged time for me to make sure it happens.

I think as far as introductions go, that should suffice.

Sonho

• Im always right, even if im wrong, im right.
    • View Profile
Re: Obligatory Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
Welcome to the community mate!

I'll take it that you're on PC? If you are, feel free to give me a howl and we can play a few games!

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:05:38 AM »
Awesome! Welcome into the cult, brother... I mean, welcome to the Armello forums! :D

Board games are a great gateway drug into Armello. I come from a tabletop background too, and one of the most charming aspects of the game that really drew me in was how comparable the world is to a tabletop RPG called Ironclaw. In general, I tend more towards 'adventure' games anyhow - stuff like Arkham Horror, Mice and Mystics, and Talisman (no matter how broken it is. XD)

Banzailizard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
Welcome to the community mate!

I'll take it that you're on PC? If you are, feel free to give me a howl and we can play a few games!

Indeed I am on the PC, I will add you, though I may not be able to play much until Friday.  Between my work, a relationship, and all the activities I do, my schedule can be a bit packed.

Awesome! Welcome into the cult, brother... I mean, welcome to the Armello forums! :D

Board games are a great gateway drug into Armello. I come from a tabletop background too, and one of the most charming aspects of the game that really drew me in was how comparable the world is to a tabletop RPG called Ironclaw. In general, I tend more towards 'adventure' games anyhow - stuff like Arkham Horror, Mice and Mystics, and Talisman (no matter how broken it is. XD)
See I looked at Armello and said "that is a strategy game with some RPG elements"  It is interesting you came at it from the other way.  I have done plenty of table top, though mostly D&D and its iterations (i.e. pathfinder) .  Honestly I should say I have pretty much only DM'ed games.  I am a history buff among other things I tend to get way too into the world building (bards do well in my games). There was a D6 system that I would have to dig back up which I did play a substantial game of.   At some point too I'd really like to try torchbearer.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Of course! I was a fan of 3.5, but could never really get into 4.0. Thankfully, a friend introduced me to Pathfinder, and it's pretty much been my go-to since then. I've never DM'ed a campaign of either, since the system is just so immense I don't think I could hold it all in my head at once. I did, however, serve as the host for Ironclaw, and the Storyteller for Werewolf - The Apocalypse, and you're right; worldbuilding is one of a DM's greatest pleasures.

...that and punishing their PCs for being dumb. But I digress! ^^;;

Thanks for telling me about Torchbearer! I had no idea the system existed. In fact, that led me to a Mouse Guard RPG, and then a whole new graphic novel series I need to read.

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »

Talisman is considered broken?  I love that game.  Or are you talking about newer versions?  I have the original.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Newer version has expansion-itis. Not unlike a lot of Fantasy Flight games. Some of the newer expansions just totally break and unbalance the game. I love Talisman too, but I've kind of discovered there are better 'adventure' games out there. Currently, I'm really into the Star Wars Imperial Assault system :D

Phlox

• Hey there, I am Phlox(Forums)/Aethalion(Twitch)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
I loved Talisman for its setting...but when it came to actually play it we had evenings and even weekends going on with an never-ending-game...and were in the end put back by the "randomness" of the win. I tried the digital version as well but it has the same built-in-flaw of being quite random and having a tendency of becoming a time-consuming-struggel for the win. But Talisman will stay in my heart as one of my first fantasy-based-tabletopgames I ever played...
I've been manipulated by a pychotic rabbit!

BOIRFanMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:53:55 AM »
Newer version has expansion-itis. Not unlike a lot of Fantasy Flight games. Some of the newer expansions just totally break and unbalance the game. I love Talisman too, but I've kind of discovered there are better 'adventure' games out there. Currently, I'm really into the Star Wars Imperial Assault system :D

Ok.  I just use the City Expansion, original version.

I loved Talisman for its setting...but when it came to actually play it we had evenings and even weekends going on with an never-ending-game...and were in the end put back by the "randomness" of the win. I tried the digital version as well but it has the same built-in-flaw of being quite random and having a tendency of becoming a time-consuming-struggel for the win. But Talisman will stay in my heart as one of my first fantasy-based-tabletopgames I ever played...

Some games can take time, yeah.  One way I battled this, is to set a time limit.  When time is up, winner is chosen by points system. You can come up with your own system or use the games recommended system.

Or using the Henchman system speeds up games too.

I really miss playing.     :'(