Author Topic: (Premature) Future Character Ideas  (Read 2287 times)

Hangman

• Backer
    • View Profile
(Premature) Future Character Ideas
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:37:36 AM »
Now I know I’m probably getting ahead of myself in dreaming of future clans, characters and cards so soon after launch, especially considering the team probably have their hands full with the DRM-free and tablet versions still in development, but it can’t be helped.  Also I'm aware there are a few stagnant older threads on the topic but didn't seem to quite fit.

I’ll try to keep this short and succinct. A lot of these could easily be incorporated into future cards instead of being playable. Keep in mind also that Armello primarily pull animal inspiration predominantly from European species, hence “foreign” animals are typically depicted and travellers (i.e. Emissary, Wandering Circus, etc.) with exceptions, namely the King.

- Reptilian Clan:
    - Crocodile,
    - Chameleon, with camouflage/stealth ability
    - Turtle, obviously with an above average body stat (conceptually think Pokemon’s Squirtle/Blastoise)
- Avian Clan:
    - Owl, iconic for being a symbol of wisdom (Spirit?) but also a natural nocturnal predator; given owls innate ability to rotate their head 180 degrees, the subsequent hero ability could be ‘no ambushes at night against the hero’.
    - Rooster, The Bard - obviously there’s already a Bard follower card, but a rooster make for a perfect musician, plus most MOBAs seem to have a bard playable character
    - Pigeon?
- Additional Bear Clan hero, smaller in size and stature of the two current Bear hero, think the likes of a bear cub, with a personality not dissimilar to Barnaby’s.
- Monkey follower?
- Hyena,
- Tribes of the East; essentially, as previously stated, a clan of (playable) foreign animals both thematically (in-game) and geologically (real-world) new to the lands of Armello
    - Frog, martial artist, utilising lots of punches in his animations (think Pokemon’s Hitmonchan meets Greninja)
    - Flamingo, from Stplmstr's design, opposite to the frog, would incorporate kicks (again think Pokemon’s Hitmonlee)

Obviously Stplmstr designs are of influence (http://leagueofgeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=886.msg8093#msg8093)
And Obviously I grew up on Pokemon.

Additionally you originally had a representative themed backdrop during battles depending on the tile the fight took place, i.e. the one I recall is a swamp background from the beta, currently replaced by a singular pattern; thats imagery is something I’d like to see return.

All the above is just spitballing ideas. No doubt LoG has their own ideas/plans.

Bormac

• Armello's dragons need a home!
    • View Profile
Re: (Premature) Future Character Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »
I'm pretty interested in dragons, myself.
They have always been associated with nobility. I kind of see them, myself. I mean they can take it in whatever direction they want. But as the former rulers of the land Armello is in. Before the king, or his family line usurped it from them. Yeah, they are probably resentful and bitter. But are resigned to their fate.
Or were anyway!
I see them as wildly different, dragons come in lots of breeds after all. Magical, slender creatures, big dumb brutes.
So perhaps they could be creatures of extremes, one all magic and wits, the other all strength and health. With difficulty doing the other.
Dragons do have a very rich place in European folklore. I think they would be a grand addition to the playable characters. Or, failing that, maybe at least some sort of challenge players in a game can attempt once. With their various stats, one time for each player, for some sort of dragon-centric treasure?
But I'd still hope for some kind of dragon clan. : >

Biologist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »
I'm pretty interested in dragons, myself.
They have always been associated with nobility. I kind of see them, myself. I mean they can take it in whatever direction they want. But as the former rulers of the land Armello is in. Before the king, or his family line usurped it from them. Yeah, they are probably resentful and bitter. But are resigned to their fate.
Or were anyway!
I see them as wildly different, dragons come in lots of breeds after all. Magical, slender creatures, big dumb brutes.
So perhaps they could be creatures of extremes, one all magic and wits, the other all strength and health. With difficulty doing the other.
Dragons do have a very rich place in European folklore. I think they would be a grand addition to the playable characters. Or, failing that, maybe at least some sort of challenge players in a game can attempt once. With their various stats, one time for each player, for some sort of dragon-centric treasure?
But I'd still hope for some kind of dragon clan. : >

The devs seem to have gone strictly with characters based on species found in real life, but I agree that it's a cool idea. Maybe a reptilian clan led by Komodo Dragons with an innate ability to poison enemy heroes?
Pet peeves: Apes are not monkeys, jellyfish are not fish, and tomatoes are not vegetables!

The Observer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
Alas, Bormac, I don't think mythical creatures are an "allowed" thing, given Armello's setting. Only "normal" animals.

Biologist, poison is really, really powerful IMO. At most, it should be a chance to do so.

Instead of posting animimals (intentional mispelling), I'll go with character archetypes.

Lunar Spellsword

Stats: 5/3/3/4
Ability: Lunar Shield - the first two moon cards burned in combat also count as shields.

The anti-Thane. Where Thane burns cards in combat to pierce shields, this character burns cards to gain them. His/her ability would give some benefit to burning moon cards during the day,  and in a game where massive exploding chains are possible leading to overkills, this character is more focused on surviving combats when prepared. Catch him or her off-guard without moon cards, especially with 3 starting wit, and the 3 body becomes a liability for a combat character.

Warlock

Stats: 2/3/5/5
Ability: Rotten Soul - Gain no rot from playing rot cards, but gain 2 rot from killing, or being killed by banes.  When corrupted, will drain corruption, but not health from banes killed by spells cast from this player.

A magic-based character with two playstyles: work with banes to achieve a rot victory, or safely use rot cards such as poppet and poisoned gift to harass other players. Intended to be very weak in combat; 2 fight without Sana's 5 body to soak up damage or Twiss' auto evade means staying away from other players, using that 5 wit and spirit to snipe players with spells from afar, and using bark skin and regeneration liberally. Infection -1 health loss at dawn can be crippling for a 3-body character.

Messenger/Nomad

Stats: 3/4/5/3
Ability: Fleet Footed - Gain 1 extra AP during the day. Perils which drain AP, such as crooks, mercenaries or wake the trees do not cause AP loss.

A character focused on moving quickly from point A to point B. I was originally going to suggest 1 AP at all times, but that  was a bit too much, so I settled for having it only trigger during the day. With a lucky teleport, this character can cover much ground. Best for completing quests easily and/or going for a spirit stone win.

Harlequin/Fool/Trickster

Stats: 4/4/5/2
Ability: Tit for Tat - If a card that causes damage is played directly to this hero by another player, the hero who played the card takes half the damage caused, rounded up. For example, a lightning strike played against this player directly would inflict 2 damage on the caster; using crooks on this player when he/she has no gold would inflict 1 damage on the player who played the card.

A character which actively discourages reckless card sniping against him/her, and instead forces players into combat with him/her -  or actually laying perils on the game board instead of using them to snipe this hero.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:24:48 PM by The Observer »

Bormac

• Armello's dragons need a home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:24:08 AM »
Alas, Bormac, I don't think mythical creatures are an "allowed" thing, given Armello's setting. Only "normal" animals.

You say that, but they refrence mythical creatures a few times in the dialog of quests. Such as the one where you fight a troll. That has no normal animal counterpart, strictly mythical. Nordic folklore, I do believe, or germanic traditionally, gobbled by up D&D as of late.
So I still think dragons have a place in the game.

The Observer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »

You say that, but they refrence mythical creatures a few times in the dialog of quests. Such as the one where you fight a troll. That has no normal animal counterpart, strictly mythical. Nordic folklore, I do believe, or germanic traditionally, gobbled by up D&D as of late.
So I still think dragons have a place in the game.

I still think it vanishingly small, as said troll is portrayed to be little more than an animal, and not to the level of a sapient being. But so long as the devs don't outright come and say no, I guess there's still the possibility, no matter how remote one thinks it is.

Some more hero archetypes:

Alchemist

Stats: 3/4/5/3
Ability: Distil - Potion and food item cards have double their effect. (Wyldsap, moon juice, brazenberry ale, hot rot wine, poisoned gift, etc)

An "item caddy" hero. Focuses on keeping a steady supply of gold in order to be able to play his or her cards; keeping this low through plays like merry thieves or vile official counters his/her ability, or simply stealing them through glamour or travelling circus is another option. A high wit allows this hero to keep some cards in reserve, allowing him or her to play precious potions when needed.

Hangman

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 02:04:22 AM »
Interesting suggestions.  Guess I got caught up in the visual characterisations as oppose to the archetype characterisation.

My only concern is that the ability and descriptions are to complex or long.  I've noticed a lot of the in-game characters predominantly have one sentence/line abilities (with the exception of River and Twiss).

Hence I propose the following simplifications:

Warlock
Rotten Undead: Gain +1 Rot when slain in battle; OR,
Inflict +1 Rot on heroes slain in battle when corrupted.

I'm in favour of the last on, on the account of it making the hero more imposing from the perspective of the other players.

Nomad
No penalties from mountain or swamp tiles or both. (i.e. -2 AP and -1 Health)

I believe the power of having the extra AP permanently is what lead to the removal of the rings which granted the clans +1 AP during their day/night affiliation back in the beta.

Harlequin
Perhaps just standard -1 Health, and only when directly cast on the hero, i.e. not Perils; OR
Effect of Trickery cards are inflicted on the caster when successfully escape a Peril.

Alchemist
Perhaps just +1 Health to upon surviving battle; OR,
-1 to cost of consumable Items. (making a some of them free being only 1 Gold, etc) (although that sounds more preferable for a Ring)

Just that doubling effects of consumables could be troublesome, eg. +2 AP from  Hot Rot Wine is extreme as per above, and there is already +2 and +4 Health Items, hence is a +8 Health really necessary?

I like and noticed the seemingly more creative Abilities of the 4 newer heroes and Bandit clan heroes, but maybe I've just being playing with the original 4 so long the new ones seem fresher.

The Observer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:51 AM »
@Hangman:

Warlock: I do like the +1 rot while slain in battle (by anyone, I assume, and at any point). My intention was to allow this guy to go for a rot victory more easily, and that will work, too.

Harlequin: Yeah, on retrospect 1 damage is okay. Most cards would do 1 damage most of the time anyways. My goal here was to actually encourage players to play peril cards against this character as actual perils, instead of waiting for them to stop on the correct hex so they can be played directly.

Alchemist: I don't think it's THAT overpowered. Probably on par with Barnaby's skill, which admittedly is pretty darn strong. Also, using HRW means 2 health off you, and wyldsap is admittedly overkill. Maybe 1.5x, rounded up? That way things like HRW and brazenberry ale still get 2, while healing items' effects are lowered.

Like Barnaby, if you notice this guy not drawing many cards, throw a couple wandering circuses or wake the trees at him and watch as he becomes a lot more useless. Or a glamour, if you're so inclined. I once managed to steal a Lionheart Breastplate off a Barnaby that way, heh.

Sorry Stoat

• Most weasels agree; the stoat is sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »
Machinator/Conspirator:
Stats: 2/4/5/4
Ability:  Chorus of Chaos +1 gold discount on trickery cards for each terrorised settlement.

Once you have some gold from your own villages start terrorising settlements with incite revolt, call bane(I don't remember the name), Cubs blood and then throw down the tricks! Probably rot or prestige victory would be preferred.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:17:12 AM by Sorry Stoat »

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
Had kind of an interesting idea for the Bear Clan the other day.

Althena, the Elder
-----------------
Appears as a wizened old polar bear adorned in wyld tribal jewelry. Long, braided hair frames her face. Althena's 'weapon' is a heavy magical tome.

Body: 4
Fight: 2
Lore: 6
Spirit: 3
Talent: Spiritualist
Althena gains 2 Shields and recovers full HP when she steps onto a Stone Circle.

Basically functions as a territorial, defensive character. If she attacks from a stone circle and is defeated in combat, she retreats back and recovers to full health. It would be a rare, but very powerful use of her ability. Passively, she is easier to keep alive than most of the other cast, and uniquely for the bear clan, she has a relatively low spirit and a VERY high Lore. The wisdom of age really has its benefits. Over the course of the game, if she amps up her Spirit, Althena could become an extremely versatile spellcaster, with a large hand full of options and plenty of Magic to cast them. Her weakness would be her extremely low offensive power. She may survive, but she won't really be winning many fights. She is suited best to Prestige and Spirit Stone victories.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »
Lore= Wits?

As for staying in circles.  That power wasn't very useful when Sana had it, because so often circles can be far away from where you need to be to advance quests.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
Oops! Yes, I meant Wits. XD

I agree, the power seems pretty similar to what Sana had in the beta. The difference is that her old power (+1 to all stats while in a circle) forced Sana to play a seperate game from the other three competitors. She basically had no power outside the Circles. However, with  this Althena character, she is allowed to drop into the Circles and leave, still recieving the benefit of a full-heal. She isn't dependent on the circles, like Sana was, but they greatly help her. Really, the character could be played the same as anyone else, but visiting circles yields a greater benefit to her. I suppose the downside is that becoming Corrupted basically removes her ability. I hadn't yet considered that possibility.

Basically, her survivability makes her adept at Prestige and Spirit Stone victories. It's hard to kill her, and she can lob plenty of utility/sniper spells at folks to suppress their Prestige. She's encouraged to visit Circles in the first place because of her abilities. Owing to her low Fight, Kingslayer and Rot victories are going to be a little bit difficult for her to achieve.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
2 bonus shields with 2 fight dice is not very survivable though.  Twiss survives being low fight because she uses her wits dice/evade to defend

dragoncrescent

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
Hmm... you make a good point.

I would argue that Sana gets by alright with her 2 fight, but she has the backing of a large HP pool to stay alive. That's an ongoing benefit she doesn't have to invest in, while Althena would have only the standard 4. Additionally, Lore doesn't come into play as frequently as Spirit, Body, and Fight do. She would be excellent and evading Peril, but again, that doesn't come up much.

The secondary 'cool thing' about Althena would be her hand size. Owing to her insane Wits, she is going to be able to draw from the Item deck a lot more rapidly than others.  Similar to Amber's 'cool thing' of starting off rich, I would probably start Althena's kit with something like 5~6 gold so that she can equip  some decent armor sooner than other characters, who would have to save up to equip it. That should help her early game defenses a little. And let's not forget, she full heals every time she wanders into a circle. If she doesn't get finished off outright, it's probably safe to say Althena will persevere.

You could also choose the Soak or Scratch amulet at character creation, the way a lot of folks choose Soak for Zosha. Personally, I would probably select Dig or Spirit, but this comes down to how the player wants to address a character's shortcomings.