Author Topic: Discard option  (Read 1804 times)

C0ckerel

• View Profile
Discard option
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:05:27 AM »
Can we get an option to discard cards during your turn? I'm not sure if this has already been discussed so if it's unbalanced feel free to chime in. It's just really frustrating when you have a full deck of cards and either can't pay to spend them or even have nothing to play them on. I know you can discard in battle and perils but sometimes this is not possible or extremely suboptimal.
Cheers

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Discard option
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:41:55 AM »
The devs have felt not being able to free discard is a key design tenant of the game- forcing you to adapt or weighing the sacrifice of a "bad burn" just to clear your head..

C0ckerel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:37 AM »
I guess that makes sense in a way, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:57:41 PM by C0ckerel »

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:02:27 AM »
That being said, there are some cards that are extremely situational and generally ONLY used as burns. Rarely do Crystallize and Beheaded actually do what they're supposed to do. More often, they're burnt for their Wyld/Moon symbols.

I kind of wish some of those situational cards had secondary effects. Like Beheaded trashing the target's hand if they have no Followers to destroy...

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 07:52:23 AM »
You and me both Dragon.  So many trickery cards need backup effects.  That said, I feel the wyld symbol on crystallize is a great secondary effect all it's own.

squaddle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 02:19:12 AM »
The devs have felt not being able to free discard is a key design tenant of the game- forcing you to adapt or weighing the sacrifice of a "bad burn" just to clear your head..

I can understand that, but as it was brought up in the opening post sometimes you flat out can't get rid of the cards for several turns, and a lot of the cards are way too situational and end up just being dead draws.   Its especially bad with magic and trickery cards. 

There could be a kind of balanced discard feature, to maintain that whole 'adapt' thing.  Like, at the end of your turn you get the chance to discard half your hand, but can't choose which cards get discarded (i.e. a random discard), so its only worth using if you get a REALLY bad hand (which happens way too often than it should).  Or alternatively, at the start of your turn before you draw new cards, you get the option of discarding one card from your hand. 

And, well, if they're serious about keeping discard as a combat/peril  burn function, then I feel like they should really either balance some of these niche cards by expanding their usefulness or give the player more control over their draw.   I heard a somewhat favorable  idea for something like the king's decree for your card draw-> you draw two from the designated pile, but pick the one you want.   Might be a bit busted for players with larger wit, but I think it might be cool. 

jelly022

• Armello Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 04:09:47 AM »

I can understand that, but as it was brought up in the opening post sometimes you flat out can't get rid of the cards for several turns, and a lot of the cards are way too situational and end up just being dead draws.   Its especially bad with magic and trickery cards. 

There could be a kind of balanced discard feature, to maintain that whole 'adapt' thing.  Like, at the end of your turn you get the chance to discard half your hand, but can't choose which cards get discarded (i.e. a random discard), so its only worth using if you get a REALLY bad hand (which happens way too often than it should).  Or alternatively, at the start of your turn before you draw new cards, you get the option of discarding one card from your hand. 

And, well, if they're serious about keeping discard as a combat/peril  burn function, then I feel like they should really either balance some of these niche cards by expanding their usefulness or give the player more control over their draw.   I heard a somewhat favorable  idea for something like the king's decree for your card draw-> you draw two from the designated pile, but pick the one you want.   Might be a bit busted for players with larger wit, but I think it might be cool.
I like those ideas. I would like to see another way to discard cards other then going into perils and combat to do so. I don't think adding small alternatives like you suggested would take away from the whole adaptability theme. I might be playing the game wrong, but I don't think I really ever adapt to the cards I'm given. lol When I'm given something I don't like, I just walk into the nearest peril or creature that won't kill me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:12:21 AM by jelly022 »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 05:53:11 AM »
Without question I'm a fan of either giving more secondary effects to cards, or giving them a nice symbol.  Trickery used to be chock full of Moon symbols before we argued that we needed more shields in the deck and that was a good place for them.  Likewise, Crystallize, the most situational spell, is wyld symbol, the best to burn.

david12596

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
I'm kinda ok with the idea of letting players have the option to discard one random card. It gives people the option to get rid of something that they might not have a use for, but it also has a risk to it seeing that it is random. If this was added the best possible way to let players use this would be at the start of their turn after they draw their cards,