Author Topic: The chat system is less strategic with the new update!  (Read 3317 times)

Agalan

• View Profile
The chat system is less strategic with the new update!
« on: September 02, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
Now, all players can see what you are saying. During the anticipated access, you could conspire against an other player with others players  discreetly. Exemple :

"Thane to Sana : go for Mercurio
Thane to Amber :  go for Mercurio"
If they are agree with you, they said the same thing to you.

All players are now banded together against the dangerous Mercurio because he's the Prestige Leader, and this poor little guy ignore the conspiration..  :-\

After you can say to Mercurio :
"Watch out Mercurio." "You are truly threatened". 
You become the ally of Mercurio.  8)

Mercurio will not attack you, the others players are focused on Mercurio.... The rat loses his Prestige,  and in the same time, you win Prestige points with your quests because you're sure to not be attacked.

It's just a typical example, But the conspiration was a  very great and funny part of the game. More strategies!
But now, you can't, because everyone can see your conspiration...

Ho, and why the "Well played" button has disappeared? It's always friendly to congratulate other players.

So, please, change the new system chat and return to the ancient!

PS : please excuse me if my english is not great, it's not my mothertongue , but I try to improve.  ;D

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: The chat system is less strategic with the new update!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
This might be based on my suggestion that there would be no secret talk in a physical game, and relying on such masterful social manipulation would take some of the challenge outside of the game.

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »
This choice destroys one the pleasure of the game. You retire an important feature of the gameplay, it's why there is less challenge now.
Now, the chat is useless.
You can only using allies pact with other players.... Where is the surprise and the fun? Where is the strategy? You can't destroy the strategy like that.
It's better to conspire in the darkness than to show to everybody your machinations. You just can't base the gameplay of a game on the random chance......  The virtual allows to go farther than cards and dices. You can take advantage of it to give a unique personality to the game, which distinguishes it from other tabletop games!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:56:31 AM by Agalan »

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:37:54 AM »
This might be based on my suggestion that there would be no secret talk in a physical game, and relying on such masterful social manipulation would take some of the challenge outside of the game.

Whaaaat?

For a start there's already plenty that Armello does that can't be done on a real board and that's cool to me since it's a video game anyway.

I really don't understand how this affects challenge. Nobody can rely on the chat to cause the intended effects, but I wouldn't fault the strategic thinking of players who sill use it that way. It even falls in line with the games gameplay message of using strategy and wit to outplay your opponents.

90% of the challenge in this game is executing ones tactics in the minefield of this games RNG so introducing subtle influence from the chest-beating of other players is not a game-changer.

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:49:39 AM »
So, we must try a petition to restore this? Or what? ;D

This conspiration feature  can be an amazing  asset to attract other players.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:56:40 AM by Agalan »

david12596

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:06:10 AM »
I want this back in. It was more fun that way. Now I can only laugh at people.  :(

C0ckerel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:04 AM »
Can't we just have a normal chat where you can type whatever you want to say? It would be nice to have actual convos in between the turns.

TheRedRaccoon

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »
Unfortunately C0ckerel, LoG has stated that they have no intentions of ever implementing real chat in order to maintain peace in the community. However, that being said, the LoG Backers Steam Group (not just for Backers) has a chat room that works just fine.

I can also agree that adding back in the directed chat would be nice, though.
~ 火狐-Red ~
TheRedRaccoon: "It is I, Esophogus! The great and terrible bane!"
Woodweirdo: "And his partner in crime, RONALD"

C0ckerel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
God that is so paternalistic.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
It's literally a game about getting in each other's way and sabotage.  Some tempers are going to flare.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »
I would be nice to have the option in private match though.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »
If you have a private match, you can easily set up a Steam Group chat.  It's just more work for them to re-code what Steam already does.

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 01:55:32 AM »
oh yeah I get that it's work they might not want to do.

Chizzie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
Secret talk or not, the new chat system is missing some key emotes like Well played! I would like to have some basic YES and NO emotes too, it would be useful to communicate.

Agalan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »

Yes, and in real life too, you can't hide your character into a forest the night. It's the same thing.