Poll

What should LoG do with the post based membership

Hide it entirely.
Give them out for something other than post count
Leave them as they are.

Author Topic: Post Based Membership Name  (Read 9784 times)

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Post Based Membership Name
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Agreed. We can already see some people spamming topics just to get the higher "Rewards" under the nickname.
I think this part should be dropped, and what should show under the nickname was the tier that person backed. Ou nothing, which is still better than this "post rewards" stuff we have right now!

And also, Trent, would it be possible to add an option to block a person entirely?
To the point of never seeing that person's Topics/Posts on topics?
I don't want to be the "hater" here, but that option would be very useful for a case or two!

You all good man? Message me if you need anything or about any issues :)

Also, forgive lack of quotes but Im on phone so I cant quote more then one person.

Don I thought we were using jon stewart as our like system haha nah im kidsing but yeah a kudos or like or a thanks or so on would b3 really good especially for great ideas, ive seen some really good ideas in the card suggestions and game suggestions. It slips my mind who but someone posted a great wright up on majesty 2 and it definitely deserved a like.

Second. What post count rewards are you talking about?  I cant find mention of any unless your talking about jr. Mem > full mem and whatever is after that

I think that wraps me up on this topic but im interested to hear what other ideas you have!

Wait I also love the counter to my suggestion about having one big shiny badge but I still think it should have a bronze silver gold rank :)

Edit: A huge thanks to Ja Powers with his help on playing clunk in the awesomnauts thread and also 5o spiritWolf I believe for his help with being a DM/GM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:35:35 PM by 8BitProxy »

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Oh no. People want to block me already? haha just joking.

Also joking but has anybody seen the silly shenanigans that the something awful threads get up to in relation to the values given to posters and mods? Some surprises and fun could be cool.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Oh no. People want to block me already? haha just joking.

Also joking but has anybody seen the silly shenanigans that the something awful threads get up to in relation to the values given to posters and mods? Some surprises and fun could be cool.

what do you mean?

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »
Actually it's really hard to find stuff on google about that. Not surprising since people have to pay to access those forums.

I do remember some funny things like Shark Week (breaking the specific rules is insta-ban/insta-probabtion) Idiot King (poster gets to be a mod of forum/thread for a day due to winning some kind of special event) and a variety of avatar, caption, post count reward games that don't at all work the way they do on other forums.

BTW I'm not condoning the Scadenfruede style stuff like they're known for (and the above) simply the act of mixing up the events and interactions of mods/posters/forum fun times that results. (without breaking any rules of upsetting posters of course)

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
Actually it's really hard to find stuff on google about that. Not surprising since people have to pay to access those forums.

I do remember some funny things like Shark Week (breaking the specific rules is insta-ban/insta-probabtion) Idiot King (poster gets to be a mod of forum/thread for a day due to winning some kind of special event) and a variety of avatar, caption, post count reward games that don't at all work the way they do on other forums.

BTW I'm not condoning the Scadenfruede style stuff like they're known for (and the above) simply the act of mixing up the events and interactions of mods/posters/forum fun times that results. (without breaking any rules of upsetting posters of course)

Oh that sounds awesome!

Rudahn

• Backer
  • Infected by the Rot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
Agreed. We can already see some people spamming topics just to get the higher "Rewards" under the nickname.
I think this part should be dropped, and what should show under the nickname was the tier that person backed. Ou nothing, which is still better than this "post rewards" stuff we have right now!

And also, Trent, would it be possible to add an option to block a person entirely?
I don't want to be the "hater" here, but that option would be very useful for a case or two!

The option to block people (or hide their posts) would be very handy indeed. It promotes self-moderation and hopefully keeps people from bickering with one another or with users they don't get along with. It's not a big issue right now because of how small the forum is currently, but I can see it being very useful as support grows and expands. :)

Laluune

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
First post and I choose to chime in here haha.

I ran a forum where people got up to 7000+ posts I didn't care that some people were more enthusiastic than others. As long as they were on topic and were inclusive. I don't know what Simple Machines Forums are like but with Invisionfree you could go into a persons account and change their member group pips to whatever you wanted regardless of their post count. So I had special ones for "Best contributor" "Loyal" whatever.

I'd like to see our titles be that of what we backed so Artisan, Gamer, I <3 Guppy etc, but I assume that's what the 'Backer' title will be?

Otherwise default to what it is now, it's such a minor detail in the spectrum of things, and it's how the majority of forums I've seen are run. If rank were based on how long a user had been a part of the forum I would feel that could ostracise newer members, as if they contributed a lot they would still be consider "newbies" until X amount of time, doesn't seem fair.

:)

AsfaeksBR

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
You all good man? Message me if you need anything or about any issues :)

Can you really block a person on my account so I can't seem their posts?
I'd reeeeally like to block a self-entitled pr1ck that thinks he's superior to everyone here.
_____

And well, we could use the same system NeoGAF uses.
In NeoGAF, everyone starts as a "Junior Member", just as here.
And after an amounf of time + an amount of posts, he's turned into "Member".

And that' just what shows when he posts. It appears the nickname, the time and date he posted, if he's a Junior or a Member and his avatar below it.
And, in our case, it could appear the Forum Badge under the "Member" or under the avatar.
And that's it, no "rewards" for spamming the forums for upping your post counter.
(The image attached is from NeoGAF)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:17:04 AM by Baschta »

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »

The option to block people (or hide their posts) would be very handy indeed. It promotes self-moderation and hopefully keeps people from bickering with one another or with users they don't get along with. It's not a big issue right now because of how small the forum is currently, but I can see it being very useful as support grows and expands. :)

Yeah, it really is the most sensible solution to stopping forum arguments. Both parties go about their business and just never interact instead of derailing every thread they get in. I rarely if ever block anyone, but if that feature means we don't have to see flame wars I think it's necessary in the long run.

I'd like to see our titles be that of what we backed so Artisan, Gamer, I <3 Guppy etc, but I assume that's what the 'Backer' title will be?

First of all, hiya Laluune!

The Kickstarter mentioned something like that, a "<backer tier> forum & in-game badge", so either a title or graphic to show how much you put up for the project. Maybe still a work in progress.

BloodyTrollop

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 01:50:31 AM »
Making a ranking based on the number of posts is just screaming for spammers to invade. We have enough rot to deal with.

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
Alright, folks. Two things:

1. I've updated the forums so that there are only two post count based membergroups. Newbies and Members. After a certain amount of time participating in the forums, Newbies will become Members. Then you're a Member for life. No more promotion. No more spam rewards.

2. Buddy/Ignore lists are live.

Buddies/Ignore List
Inevitably, there will be times when members get along great and times when personalities clash. SMF provides a way to handle both instances. The buddy list allows members to keep track of users they enjoy talking to, while the ignore list hides users they do not want to see.
Edit Buddies - Members may add or delete other members from their buddy list.
Edit Ignore List - Members may add or delete other members from their ignore list.

Enjoy!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Thanks trent that looks like the best of both worlds!  Appreciate you getting on this so quickly before anything serious happens :)

Baschta feel free to block but can I be that guy and ask no unnecessary language be used? We are 200 threads in and no rude words or disrespect have appeared :) thanks and well done to this amazing community :)

macoman1

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »
Glad to see these changes! Thanks for responding Trent!

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Oh well... didnt realize that Trent already made that announcement :D
Thanks Trent!! Appreciate that
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

amscollie

• Backer
  • Poke me. I dare you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »
@Trent (or anyone else who can answer) What does adding someone to your Buddy list entail? For example, on some IM sites, you can only receive messages from friends (or in this case "buddies"). So I guess I'm asking if there's anything special about adding someone as a buddy besides just having them on your list?