Poll

What should LoG do with the post based membership

Hide it entirely.
Give them out for something other than post count
Leave them as they are.

Author Topic: Post Based Membership Name  (Read 9381 times)

macoman1

Post Based Membership Name
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:47:47 AM »
So there is one thing I have noticed about this forum. LoG has specifically said they don't want you to try and boost your post count and only post when you have something constructive to add. The problem is that there are membership titles based on post count which reward you for making as many posts as is possible. What do you think should be done to hopefully prevent people from trying to post farm? Should we just hide the titles? Give them out for something other than post count? Or should we just leave them as they are and hope people don't go overboard with wanting a big title? What do you guys think?

BukoNuTz

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Post Based Membership Name
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:42:49 AM »
I totally agree with you on that. Changes should be earned via how long he/she's been a member. Not on how many post he/she will have. I'm sort of a lurker myself, and I rather post something informative(depending on a thread).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:46:53 AM by BukoNuTz »
Love & Peace!

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »
Well at the moment it's not really hurting anything and it's that way with the majority forums I've seen.  If people do starting getting out of hand and spamming it's nothing that can't quickly be fixed by just resetting someones post count I'm sure.  I've never really paid much attention to titles in forums anyways... quality over quantity!
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

macoman1

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »
True but the forum is smaller then it will be in say..a year. I've seen many a forum get out of hand because of it. plus the titles could be used to server a higher purpose than just post count. They could be rewards for giving that quality you stated.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 07:10:59 AM »
I think this is a good idea, post count shouldnt matter. Sometimes if I go on a forum I look at the comments from the prople with the most posts but other then that I dont find it relevant :)

Ps. I apologize if people find some of my posts lacking in material I just enjoy telling people they did a good job :)

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:21:01 AM »
Later on of course it could be made, so that you get a heros title (for example, playing the bear warcaster enough times gives you "the warcaster") when you`ve played that hero about 50-100 times maybe.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:58 AM »
Later on of course it could be made, so that you get a heros title (for example, playing the bear warcaster enough times gives you "the warcaster") when you`ve played that hero about 50-100 times maybe.

I love that idea but maybe instead of a title make it a badge which goes from bronze to silver depending how many wins to loses or something
Or under your name where at the moment there is the yellow bar it could change to a badge display for all the characters showing off who can play what!

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »

I love that idea but maybe instead of a title make it a badge which goes from bronze to silver depending how many wins to loses or something
Or under your name where at the moment there is the yellow bar it could change to a badge display for all the characters showing off who can play what!

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's a way to get that yellow block to change? Kusters has 5  red ones (being and admin and all), but It's not based on posts since he only has ~96. Guess it's just a rank meaning we're not devs or mods. Other than that, I've only noticed Newbie go to Jr. Member at 50 posts, and Full Member at 100.

I could take or leave the system we have now. Post count doesn't mean anything other than how chatty you are.

I totally agree with you on that. Changes should be earned via how long he/she's been a member. Not on how many post he/she will have. I'm sort of a lurker myself, and I rather post something informative(depending on a thread).

But I do agree with this. Maybe if you got some kinda title based on how long you've been here. Obviously we'd all be on equal footing now, with whether you're a backer or not being the only difference. I've seen other forums with a "joined x years ago" tag. Other than that we could implement a "like/thanks/agree" etc. system like on vBulletin and display something along with that.

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »

I agree with most things you say. Except with the all the characters thing.

I would like more one gorgeous medal chosen by yourself from among the characters you`ve played enough. As you`ve propably noticed, most of the players seem to have the one favorite among the characters already, though it might of course change after the characters coming out.

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
So we might gather the information about this first, and then send the suggestion to Moderator here :)
But it may take some time to implement it

And yea, I agree what you guys are saying about the post count, it doesn't really matter :P
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
Without changing how it works underneath, we could just keep the current rankings, but remove the post count and never mention that rankings are related to it anywhere. People get to have their rankings then, but nobody gets to focus on post count.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
Post-ranking is part of the underlying code for all BBSs, I am not particularly sure how easy it is to change. I do not think it is much to care about either way; there are more important things in life than having rank in an online forum. I have no motivation to engage in conversations I feel are trivial or are irrelevant to my interests, but naturally have nothing against anybody who disagrees and loves to engage the entire community.

Additionally, the post threshold to receive a respectable-sounding title is much lower than in other forums I have seen; this makes it easy not to pay any mind for me, especially with the badges and other goodies coming.

That said, I do concur that competitive statistics and honorifics would be mighty awesome things to have, if they could be implemented.

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
Hey all! Thanks for your feedback on this. I'll look at the options we have. :)

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
Another question: Can we have a "Like" button or other similar button? :3
It is just my suggestion... :P
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

AsfaeksBR

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Agreed. We can already see some people spamming topics just to get the higher "Rewards" under the nickname.
I think this part should be dropped, and what should show under the nickname was the tier that person backed. Ou nothing, which is still better than this "post rewards" stuff we have right now!

And also, Trent, would it be possible to add an option to block a person entirely?
To the point of never seeing that person's Topics/Posts on topics?
I don't want to be the "hater" here, but that option would be very useful for a case or two!