Author Topic: Libation suggestions?  (Read 4508 times)

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
Re: Libation suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 07:44:04 AM »
Left can I just say you have an excellent vocabulary! !

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
You guys almost make me wish I drank. Such connoisseurs.  ;D I couldn't afford anything that fancy, though.

There's a fine line between a drunk and a alcohol savant, and that's how you carry yourself. Kinda like being a "gourmand" or just fat.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
That is quite a compliment, thank you. I give most of the credit to my late grandmother--the one that read and sang to me almost every day (since my parents separated months after I was born and my mother had to work). She had me speaking when I was 2 and reading when I was 3.

And just refer to me as 'tiger,' it will be less awkward. ^^;

You guys almost make me wish I drank. Such connoisseurs.  ;D I couldn't afford anything that fancy, though.

There's a fine line between a drunk and a alcohol savant, and that's how you carry yourself. Kinda like being a "gourmand" or just fat.
Food and drink are our foremost luxuries, we do not have many others and are frugal in most other aspects of our lives. It also helps that I know my way around a kitchen myself and cook often. Additionally, cutting meat out of my diet at least 4 days out of the week has slashed my grocery bill 25-40% with meat prices at record highs. The ingredients for the amazing fiery Indian/Mexican/Ethiopean fusion lentil curry I made recently ran me about $15 for 8 huge portions. Do that and do not eat out too much (usually sandwiches once a week and one nice dinner out) and there is some money left over for booze...but you have to buy more to get the most out of your dollar, as buying 175s of the stuff you drink most often can be over a third cheaper than buying the same amount in smaller bottles.

Heh...and true epicureans (my favorite word for culinary snob) are rarely drunks (outgrew that in my 20s, although I can still down quite a bit at a party and remain coherent with my German/Polish liver), but many of them are heavier than the fun-sized  me (5'5" 166 cm / 135 lb. 61 kg). I am pretty active and my body only demands two sizeable meals per day plus snacks in the evening...chefs and bartenders underestimate me until I take them to task!

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:12:58 PM »
That is quite a compliment, thank you. I give most of the credit to my late grandmother--the one that read and sang to me almost every day (since my parents separated months after I was born and my mother had to work). She had me speaking when I was 2 and reading when I was 3.

And just refer to me as 'tiger,' it will be less awkward. ^^;

Food and drink are our foremost luxuries, we do not have many others and are frugal in most other aspects of our lives. It also helps that I know my way around a kitchen myself and cook often. Additionally, cutting meat out of my diet at least 4 days out of the week has slashed my grocery bill 25-40% with meat prices at record highs. The ingredients for the amazing fiery Indian/Mexican/Ethiopean fusion lentil curry I made recently ran me about $15 for 8 huge portions. Do that and do not eat out too much (usually sandwiches once a week and one nice dinner out) and there is some money left over for booze...but you have to buy more to get the most out of your dollar, as buying 175s of the stuff you drink most often can be over a third cheaper than buying the same amount in smaller bottles.

It's funny, I used to work at a liquor store back in college, and I learned a lot about the ins and outs of booze. Differences between a liquor and liqueur, which bottle sizes were the best deal, which tequila came with a worm, but I'm dry as a bone and couldn't give any personal recommendations, just what everyone else said was popular.

The part I liked most were the bottles! The presentation that goes into some of them is amazing. It's almost worth dropping a mint for that gorgeous glassware alone. They're like the keepsake. You know... the stuff you don't pee out.

"The Macallan"

A good bottle on a lit table is one of the classiest things ever.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:26:16 PM by Ratical »

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »
Tiger with a g or a gg, tigger :P from whiney the pooh :) sorted

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »
@Rat: Part of the reason I started this thread was to see if I could get some personal opinions--they can be valuable. I do my own research before buying, especially with scotch and absinthe...but any time I try something new. Even at a nicer liquor store, there might be only one person I trust the recommendations of--exactly the case here in SW LA, an employee that lived in the apartment right above us. 

Functional simplicity works splendid for me in bottles, although a nice service set will be high on the list of things to get once we have the opportunity to buy a house. Since I am a whisky guy at heart, it is the case/sleeve I appreciate more as the work of art. Because one brand might struggle to be seen among hundreds of others, bottle design can be the attention grabber that coerces a sale. Definitely not how I buy, though...I know that aggressive styling is a great way to sell trash booze.

The iconic crystal decanter of The Macallan 55 is something I definitely would not mind seeing on my table, though...Macallan is my favorite Highland distillery--the 18 is enough to send me into an altered state of consciousness!

@8Bit: It had better be "Tiger," for your sake! Tigger is annoying as hell and not worthy of the honor and dignity that comes with being a tiger. Let him be the only one of...whatever he is.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 02:07:51 AM »
@Rat: Part of the reason I started this thread was to see if I could get some personal opinions--they can be valuable. I do my own research before buying, especially with scotch and absinthe...but any time I try something new. Even at a nicer liquor store, there might be only one person I trust the recommendations of--exactly the case here in SW LA, an employee that lived in the apartment right above us. 

Functional simplicity works splendid for me in bottles, although a nice service set will be high on the list of things to get once we have the opportunity to buy a house. Since I am a whisky guy at heart, it is the case/sleeve I appreciate more as the work of art. Because one brand might struggle to be seen among hundreds of others, bottle design can be the attention grabber that coerces a sale. Definitely not how I buy, though...I know that aggressive styling is a great way to sell trash booze.

The iconic crystal decanter of The Macallan 55 is something I definitely would not mind seeing on my table, though...Macallan is my favorite Highland distillery--the 18 is enough to send me into an altered state of consciousness!

@8Bit: It had better be "Tiger," for your sake! Tigger is annoying as hell and not worthy of the honor and dignity that comes with being a tiger. Let him be the only one of...whatever he is.

Tigger is amazing! :O :O :O eyore was totally the best though, i also notice we have gotten to the complete opposite side of the spectrum hahaha whiskey to winnie the pooh  :P