Author Topic: Libation suggestions?  (Read 4906 times)

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
Libation suggestions?
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
(*Checks the forum rules.*...I believe posting stuff like this is OK; just tell me if I am wrong.)

So yeah, nobody identifies with my music selections, so let us try something a little different...

I am typically a one drink per night kind of guy to relax. I prefer spirits, especially Highland or Islay single-malt scotches and absinthe superieure. Since they are too expensive to drink every night, I mix clears iced with my favorite juices (Tito's [vodka], Cazadores [blanco] and Bacardi [silver]). I am also a fan of other kinds of rums, other anise liquors (sambuca and ouzo) some cordials and brandy. More expensive 100% agave tequilas are okay, but tequila that is not for mixing needs to be shot (and that is not how I prefer to drink). I used to drink more beer and wine, but I only end up pairing them with food anymore. Still maintain certain tastes on that end, too.

Is there anything that you love that you think everyone should try? There are so many varieties that I know gems can get lost. Preferably not loaded with artificial colors or HFCS for me, but that will not be criteria for others...just toss out what you love. Does not have to be alcoholic, either--I can also relax with a strong, dry ginger beer any day of the week.

If you did want to talk about scotch or absinthe, though, we could definitely talk all night. o_o;

SpitFire

• Backer
  • "Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle"
    • View Profile
Re: Libation suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
*snip*
I think a drinking thread is fine.
If you want something cheap to make then a fuzzy navel (orange juice & peach schnapps) would be fine. Add vodka to the mix and make it a hairy navel.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
well!! as a legal 18 year old now! haha turned 18 a few days ago :P I love my whiskey!! I recommend http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lagavulin-16-year-old-1l-whisky/ i got it for my birthday and I havent opened it because of obvious reasons (price tag) but dad has some open already and i have a fair bit :P

Btw keep in mind thats an old 1L bottle, you can get younger and still great quality for 1 to 2 tenths of the price :)

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
well!! as a legal 18 year old now! haha turned 18 a few days ago :P I love my whiskey!! I recommend http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lagavulin-16-year-old-1l-whisky/ i got it for my birthday and I havent opened it because of obvious reasons (price tag) but dad has some open already and i have a fair bit :P

Btw keep in mind thats an old 1L bottle, you can get younger and still great quality for 1 to 2 tenths of the price :)

That is what I am talking about right there! I actually had the Lag 16 for the first time as a part of a "flight" I ordered at a pub while catching up with an old friend in Texas about a month ago. Drank it while munching some water biscuits with this awesome garlic hummus...bliss. It was really complex for an Islay, extremely long and sweet finish. To have on hand, however, it has been an uphill battle to get me away from the Laphroaig quarter-cask. Not too expensive, with clean wood and a peat punch that is twice as intense as scotches nearly triple its age.

...see, now you got me started. -^.^-

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
I wish I could talk about it with you XD ...
But I am not having any alcoholic drink :P
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »
Holy dooley Proxy, that is an EXPENSIVE bottle of whisky!

Happy Birthday indeed.....?

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
Favorite mixed drink:

Black Russian: A variant of the white russian. 1:1:1:1 ratios of vodka, Godiva creme de cacao, Kahlua, and half and half. Serve on the rocks.

Also a fan of well-done sex on the beach mixes. Mojitos can be quite nice too. Same goes for grasshoppers.

Go-to beers for me, on the other hand, are Red Stripe, Stella Artois and Negra Modello.

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
Holy dooley Proxy, that is an EXPENSIVE bottle of whisky!

Happy Birthday indeed.....?

A little more than a year ago, when my (now) husband and I were in an Irish phase, we nabbed a bottle of Jameson Rarest Vintage to celebrate our wedding last March. It was well appreciated...hah, what a perfect evening.

I had actually sampled it a year before at a tasting at our local upscale liquor store that had the money to drop and almost fainted. For certain, many wonder how one bottle of liquid could demand such a price. But for an epicurean such as I, if the craft is solid and the styling is to my liking...the sensory overload is truly indescribable.

Still, would only allot one comparable bottle of whisky/whiskey per year, even if we were pulling in 6 figures. More productive, more philanthropic things to do with such money!

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Favorite mixed drink:

Black Russian: A variant of the white russian. 1:1:1:1 ratios of vodka, Godiva creme de cacao, Kahlua, and half and half. Serve on the rocks.

Also a fan of well-done sex on the beach mixes. Mojitos can be quite nice too. Same goes for grasshoppers.

Go-to beers for me, on the other hand, are Red Stripe, Stella Artois and Negra Modello.

Aha...if you like white/black Russians (which I certainly do), try substituting the cream for Silk Coconut Milk. Dangerously good. I will never go back,

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »

That is what I am talking about right there! I actually had the Lag 16 for the first time as a part of a "flight" I ordered at a pub while catching up with an old friend in Texas about a month ago. Drank it while munching some water biscuits with this awesome garlic hummus...bliss. It was really complex for an Islay, extremely long and sweet finish. To have on hand, however, it has been an uphill battle to get me away from the Laphroaig quarter-cask. Not too expensive, with clean wood and a peat punch that is twice as intense as scotches nearly triple its age.

...see, now you got me started. -^.^-

Im glad you liked my suggestion!! At the moment im sticking with my Red Label and Glen Fiddich Single malt, ill leave the Lag in the cabinet for now

Ja Powers

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
I favor sweet drinks: both russians, plus their naturalized versions (a russian with half the vodka - because they are still getting used to it XD ), Mojitos, and grasshoppers. Brandy Alexanders are nice (1 1/2 oz brandy, 1 oz dark creme de cacao, 1 oz half-and-half, 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg), and it's cousin the Italian Alexander (1 1/2 oz amaretto, 1 oz creme de cacao, 1 oz vanilla ice cream melted, 1/4 tsp nutmeg). All sorts of things like that.

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
I favor sweet drinks: both russians, plus their naturalized versions (a russian with half the vodka - because they are still getting used to it XD ), Mojitos, and grasshoppers. Brandy Alexanders are nice (1 1/2 oz brandy, 1 oz dark creme de cacao, 1 oz half-and-half, 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg), and it's cousin the Italian Alexander (1 1/2 oz amaretto, 1 oz creme de cacao, 1 oz vanilla ice cream melted, 1/4 tsp nutmeg). All sorts of things like that.

Mmmmph, such good taste in sweet, too. I never did much mixing with brandy outside of traditional egg nog; thanks for giving me a place to start! I could see varying the Alexander with B&B, chilled with whipped cream to make it into a dessert.

A mojito-inspired creation of my own that you might like if you dig anise--3:1 coconut water to Kubler blanche absinthe (sweet as it is, at least for the US release) over ice with some fresh lime juice and mint. Some added sugar is optional. Definitely not for everyone, but when cut with the citrus, the coconut and licorice aftertastes balance each other out much more effectively than one might think. Finishes very long and smooth for a cocktail, not something to gulp.   

Same thing I mentioned above goes here--just try substituting prepared coconut milk (most) anywhere where half-and-half is called. If you want something really simple, sweet and satisfying, just shake up some white rum, OJ and the aforementioned coconut milk.

...yes, I really like coconut. ^^;

taka32

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03:22 AM »
...nabbed a bottle of Jameson Rarest Vintage to celebrate our wedding last March. It was well appreciated...

I am envious! Jameson is one of my drinks of choice...and I've pined for those aged/vintage selections for years. Maybe one day! 9_9

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:07:23 AM »
...nabbed a bottle of Jameson Rarest Vintage to celebrate our wedding last March. It was well appreciated...

I am envious! Jameson is one of my drinks of choice...and I've pined for those aged/vintage selections for years. Maybe one day! 9_9

*wipes tear from eye*

Leftcross

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »

See if you cannot find a pub that serves it by the dram; they are out there. The pub in downtown Plano I met my old friend was selling the RV for $35 a pour...which is a very fair price (really close to par, I was amazed), as a 750 usually runs at least  $250. If it does not move much, it can become somewhat affordable (at least for a special occasion).

I have not drunk much Irish ever since I started running with scotch, but if you want real quality on the cheap, try Redbreast 12. Copper kettle still crafting adds a real glow to it. Exceptionally oily texture--mellow and velvety, not nearly as astringent as Jameson Gold. If you are diligent, you should be able to find a bottle for around $45. The 18-year has a longer finish, but it is not worth the large jump in price, in my opinion..