Author Topic: PAX Is anyone from this forum attending?  (Read 2229 times)

snuffles00

• Backer
    • View Profile
PAX Is anyone from this forum attending?
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »
Hi All! I just wanted to see if anyone from this forum will be attending PAX Prime this year. This will be my 5th PAX and I love every min of it. I wanted to know if you attend, what do you love about it? What games do you play when your down there? What are you interested on seeing and hearing about? Basically anything PAX related post it! I love to hear about new games, experiences or what people are interested or passionate about.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”  -Jojen Reed

macoman1

Re: PAX Is anyone from this forum attending?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Never been, it any good? I will most likely go if LoG will be doing anything there this year.

BukoNuTz

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
I never been to a convention before, so PAX will pop that cherry.   ;D 
Love & Peace!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Paxxx, oh what a dream!! im in queensland Australia so we only Have Supanovas over here but they dont have games they have cosplay and a tonne of markets selling everything from corsets and magic decks to mario plushies and posters!! Even nerdy books!! This year i went and bought the first two books of the Zarkoara series!! its amazing!!

But yeah, are you guys into cosplay?

YouTube | Email

MrWizard

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
I went to PAX Prime last year, and I'll be attending again this year. Last year at PAX was actually where I found out about Armello, since the League of Geeks had a booth set up there. I didn't get a chance to try playing the game (actually, I can't remember if they had a playable demo at that point) but I did pick up one of their fliers, and that's how I found out about the Kickstarter.

PAX is a lot of fun and definitely worth going to if you can get tickets. Unfortunately, tickets sell out faster and faster every year (this year I think they were sold out within an hour of going on sale). I was only able to get tickets for 3 of the 4 days last year, and only 1 of the days this year, so if you want to go, you have to be watching the site like a hawk and get lucky enough to get into the ticket-buying queue early.

My one big complaint about PAX is that very little floor space is given to indie developers, while giant sections of floor space are given to AAA developers. Last year at PAX, something like 50 different indie companies were all crammed together in a small section at the back of the exhibitor's hall. It was very crowded, and virtually impossible to see all of the games on display without several passes through the section. Even going back as many times as I did, I'm sure there were some that I missed. Meanwhile, Ubisoft took up a section of the hall that was just as big as the entire Indie section, all by themselves, just to build a couple enclosed rooms to show off trailers for Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs (trailers that were just going to be released online within a week after the convention anyway) and section off floor space for people to line up to see said trailers. So many more indie developers could have gotten to show their games off at PAX if Ubisoft and other huge developers weren't monopolizing floor space, and the people in charge of PAX weren't allowing them to do it.

It's great that League of Geeks got a booth to show off and spread the word about their game. Their presence at PAX and the exposure that got them was probably a large contributor to the success of their Kickstarter campaign. However, I can't help but think of the tons of Indie developers who didn't get the same chance to show off their game at PAX, and are probably struggling to get their game funded and made because of it. I hope to see PAX shifting back in the direction of helping indie developers, rather than becoming just another E3. I doubt it will happen, but only time will tell.

And finally, yes, I've been cosplaying for many years now, mostly at anime conventions though, but I've done so at PAX a couple times.

ArcVer

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Well I've already got tickets to PAX Aus ... and I'd hope that LoG would have a stall, given its in Melbourne :)

But nothing for me at Prime or other US based ones ... mouths to feed, long distances and all that ...
Gamer: Computer, Board, Role playing etc...
Geek: Science, Engineering, Anime, Movies, Books etc...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Never been, it any good? I will most likely go if LoG will be doing anything there this year.

I believe I read somewhere they had confirmed they were going!!
I really want to go but its to expensive for flights and hotels from Brisbane

here: http://leagueofgeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=5.30 page 3 top post from trent :)

YouTube | Email

Justin Whitfort

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:07:10 AM »
I'm hoping to be at Pax Prime and Pax Aus. Still sorting out the details, and that's not in an official LoG role. Should be fun!

Seike

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
I'm going this year, it'll be my 4th Pax Prime that I have been to and the first time I'll be there to help with the promotion of a game I've worked on.

I am glad that I'll be seeing Armello at Pax Prime, hopefully I can get a few minutes to play it. Although by MrWizard's description of last year's Prime it sounds like I might not unless I get a lucky break. At 2012's PAX, the "indie" games were mixed in with the AAA games, this caused a lack of people trying out the smaller titles do to the lines that the AAA titles caused around them. I rather the smaller developers have some traffic then no traffic, even if it means a smaller space.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:43:33 PM »
I'm going this year, it'll be my 4th Pax Prime that I have been to and the first time I'll be there to help with the promotion of a game I've worked on.

I am glad that I'll be seeing Armello at Pax Prime, hopefully I can get a few minutes to play it. Although by MrWizard's description of last year's Prime it sounds like I might not unless I get a lucky break. At 2012's PAX, the "indie" games were mixed in with the AAA games, this caused a lack of people trying out the smaller titles do to the lines that the AAA titles caused around them. I rather the smaller developers have some traffic then no traffic, even if it means a smaller space.

oh whats your game called!!

YouTube | Email