Author Topic: Armello is selected for Indie Fund  (Read 2521 times)

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
Armello is selected for Indie Fund
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Hi y'all,

We're pretty excited to announce that Armello has been added to the Indie Fund family! They've recently expanded their group of talented investors and we're stoked to be included as a supported game.

Full announcement here.

<3

Trendane

• Backer
  • Voice actor, writer, comic.
    • View Profile
    • Tren's YouTube Channel
Re: Armello is selected for Indie Fund
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »

Ooooooh!   Very nice indeed!  I'll have to look a little deeper into that group and see how they keep from falling into a "too many cooks" scenario.
--
Tren Sparks
I'm not crazy...I'm merely sane in the same way that Velveeta is cheese.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
So that does sound exciting... but... I have to ask if you can spell it out for me a little more.

So you ran a Kickstarter Campaign to raise the money to make the game yeah ?

And then you had Steam Early Access release which may or may not have added any coins to your coffers.

So how does this new input of money work ? From the page you linked to it says "and we are proud to announce the new expanded Indie Fund is now funding Armello" Well I thought the Kickstarter Campaign funded the development of Armello ?

As I said it sounds exciting, but there is not a whole lot of information on that site about what it actually means.

I get that we will still get all of our Kickstarter backer goodness :) so what does the new money go towards then ?

Alvorn

Blake Mizzi

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
Hey guys I'm going to jump straight in here :)

Trendane - The IndieFund crew are made up of some of the world's best indie developers, who've been behind great titles like World of Goo, Below, Braid, Journey and more. They're helping us out with funding and advice. They're not here to change the game design or add more cooks to the game, but they are going to help us out with things we're not doing right! One of the first things they told us already was we need a great tutorial and we knew that already but they're also absolutely correct and their insight can really help us in the final few months by polishing Armello from a diamond in the rough to a lasting treasure.

Alvorn - The Kickstarter money was amazing as it helped us at a desperate time when we needed that money so badly and it helped us get to Steam's Early Access and we are so grateful to our backers. Breaking the numbers down further, nearly half of what we raised needs to be spent on fulfilling the rewards from the Kickstarter! Even the Tax man took his slice, that left us with about half of what we collected to throw at development, which just got us to Early Access and Early Access has just been enough to cover the basic rent for the team, software licenses, basic accounting and legal expenses. Most of the crew are still working for sweat equity (profit share), on part pay, or living off other money we've raised from grants such as Film Victoria and Screen Australia or even savings! Letting you know a project of our size can pretty easily cost more than a million dollars (AUD) to make and we've just recently crossed that line without paying most of the team for all their hard work! We make sure that every dollar counts and we really do run on a shoe string budget, there's just a whole heap of expenses that we can't avoid and that just keep coming!

Our wild dreams here at LoG is that Armello does well enough at full launch that we can keep supporting it with new Heroes and expansions AND create another amazing game in a new universe :) we never know maybe Starmello becomes a reality!

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
The Indiefund people include the guys who do "Extra Credits" right?  They certainly have a lot of good ideas on tutorials based on their videos on the topic.

The Indiefund is also a loan more than equity creating "publisher cash" so it'll keep LoG in control of the vision.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »
Alvorn - The Kickstarter money was amazing as it helped us at a desperate time when we needed that money so badly and it helped us get to Steam's Early Access and we are so grateful to our backers. Breaking the numbers down further, nearly half of what we raised needs to be spent on fulfilling the rewards from the Kickstarter! Even the Tax man took his slice, that left us with about half of what we collected to throw at development, which just got us to Early Access and Early Access has just been enough to cover the basic rent for the team, software licenses, basic accounting and legal expenses. Most of the crew are still working for sweat equity (profit share), on part pay, or living off other money we've raised from grants such as Film Victoria and Screen Australia or even savings! Letting you know a project of our size can pretty easily cost more than a million dollars (AUD) to make and we've just recently crossed that line without paying most of the team for all their hard work! We make sure that every dollar counts and we really do run on a shoe string budget, there's just a whole heap of expenses that we can't avoid and that just keep coming!

Our wild dreams here at LoG is that Armello does well enough at full launch that we can keep supporting it with new Heroes and expansions AND create another amazing game in a new universe :) we never know maybe Starmello becomes a reality!

Hey Blake,

As always thanks for jumping in and shining some light around :)

First off sorry if the post before came off a bit abrupt. I think its fantastic news, I have been cheering for the successes of Armello and LoG for a very long time now, you may recall my bleeding heart post when the flaming arrows started over the whole Bandit Clan and that the reason I support you guys so much is cause I want to see an Australian Indi Dev team with as much talent as you guys have succeed.
So yes AWESOME AWESOME new for both Armello and LoG long term.

I think what irked me a little this morning when I read the Indi Fund sight was the quote I gave before where it said "and we are proud to announce the new expanded Indie Fund is now funding Armello". You could read that two ways, one being "we are now helping to fund Armello" and the second being "we are the only ones funding Armello".

When I read it this morning the second interpretation came to mind first and I thought, well No the Kickstarter and the 3000 odd backers  funded Armello. In the article there was no single mention of Kickstarter having already helped to fund it to get it to where it is today.  Re-reading it tonight i realised it could also be read the first way as well.

So yeah I was a bit touchy which probably came across in my questions, sorry if that was the case. Speaking of which...

So Secondly in regards to the answers to the questions, again thanks ! I had suspected what you outlined may have been the case. In fact I was fairly certain of it. So kudos to you for being willing to share that info publicly. But even bigger kudos to the dedicated team who are willing to take two jobs, do work on the basis of a promise and an idea, work extra hours after their real job, just so we can all play this really cool game.

And finally once again, Congrats ! Its a huge opportunity and I am very happy for you all down their in LoG land.

Alvorn

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 04:46:35 AM »
Hmm... I was kind of with Alvorn on this one. When I first read the article, there were only vague references to the Kickstarter fund. That rubbed me the wrong way, but not immediately.

Another great game I pitched in for is Yooka-Laylee. It's basically an indie respin of one of my favorite N64 games, Banjo-Kazooie. Apparently, I'm not the only one with a soft spot for notalgia - the game was funded to the tune of 2.8 million dollars. Keeping up with the emails from the devs and the info about videogame cost breakdown, there is a LOT more to creating a videogame than just raw talent and a great idea. A lot of it goes into administrative details, rent, tax, licensing, and esoterica. Probably more than the actual resources and salaries of the the employees. Even with that 2.8 mil, it seems like the devs of Yooka-Laylee need to seek outside revenue to polish and complete the game. With the size and cost of Yooka-Laylee in mind, it's understandable why LoG would also be seeking out additional revenue. Honestly, I'm glad Armello has gathered as much ambient positivity in the gaming world as it has.  Enough that it would attract the attention of the Indie Fund.

The guys in the Indie Fund come with a lot of cred, in my opinion. I mean, I loved Braid and Journey. Here's hoping whatever professional advice they have to offer pushes the game even further into greatness.

And hey, maybe we'll get an Extra Credits lecture on Armello! I'd love to see the game get that kinda signal boost. :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:55:48 AM by dragoncrescent »

Lisy Kane

• League of Geeks | Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • League of Geeks
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »
The Indiefund people include the guys who do "Extra Credits" right?  They certainly have a lot of good ideas on tutorials based on their videos on the topic.

The Indiefund is also a loan more than equity creating "publisher cash" so it'll keep LoG in control of the vision.

We're currently busy work on our new tutorial system and have a great brains trust here as well as from within the community (YOU GUYS!) of what we believe is required for our system.

To your second point Kletian999, spot on!

And hey, maybe we'll get an Extra Credits lecture on Armello! I'd love to see the game get that kinda signal boost. :D

Imagine that! "How to play .. ARMELLO 101"

Nomadic0ne

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Awesome news! More funding = more development opportunities = more polish and features!

@Alvorn/dragoncrescent
While I can kind of understand the concern of failed recognition for the Kickstarter Backers, after reading the below article (and after seeing multiple other game projects fail or make big cuts to plans) I am not really concerned over the need for more funds.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8624665/big-indie-kickstarters-are-killing-actual-indies
Game development is REALLY expensive...
BoardGameGeek Profile: Nomadic0ne
Steam Profile: Nomadic0ne
(If you add me, let me know you're from the Armello Forums!)