Author Topic: All Items in Armello are CURSED !  (Read 1204 times)

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
All Items in Armello are CURSED !
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
Morning All,

Do you remember back in your days of D&D when if you found a magic item you would never put in on until you had your friendly Wizard examine it and tell you exactly what it was. And do you remember why this was the case ?  It was because the item may have been cursed and once the cursed item was equipped it could never be removed (without the aid of a spell or some such).

Anyways Ive come to realise that ALL items in Armello are cursed in a similar fashion. Once equipped you can never take them off again of your own free will. You can only replace them with another item.

For example in the game I was just playing I thought it wise to don some heavy plate as I was on 1 health and Mecurio was right next to me and having failed to kill him during my own turn, I figured he's the sort of Rat to hold a grudge and would likely attack me when it was his turn. And he did. And I survived thanks to the heavy plate armour.

It was at this point I realised that the Armour was cursed! I could choose to put it on in the first place, but I could not choose to take it off, except if I wanted to replace it.

This got me thinking, surely we should be able to unequip items if we want to.

So for example we know a Bane is going to attack us so we throw on the Rangers Cloak but once the fights done I want to be able to take it off and not get stuck with Evade. However I won't be able to do so until I have 1) an item with which to replace it (not to mention an item that you actually want to equip)  and 2) the gold to pay for said item.

Surely I should just be able to choose to take the cloak off. Im not suggesting its return to my hand, the card of course would be disposed of, but without this option I will be forced to keep Evading until I can afford to replace my cloak.

What do others think ? Should we be able to click on an equipped item to unequip/discard it if we so choose ?

Alvorn
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:44:15 PM by Alvorn »

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: All Items in Armello are CURSED !
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
I would aim to make none of the gear undesirable to wear; especially with the gold crunch, I'd never equip something for a temporary benefit.

Since Armello seems to like the "drawbacks" on Banes Claw, Forest Cloak, and Heavy armor; letting you discard them is the next best thing.

Mahasuchi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:45:53 AM »
They're not cursed. I like to think that the hero hasn't bought the item if the card is in your hand. Once "equipped", the hero has to carry the item whether he's wearing/wielding it or not. If we're going for a discard mechanic, why not have the option of selling equipped cards as well? Items aren't the only bonuses and drawbacks you can't get rid of easily. Spells and certain trickery cards, you're stuck with them until they wear off. So, if you wanted to do your quest and test Wits while you have two Feral cards in effect, well, it's too bad unless you want to waste a turn. Evade is a bad example. We don't even know if the developers have any plans on modifying it yet.

I think this suits Armello just fine. It makes me more conscious of the consequences of my own actions and, assuming I'm vigilant enough, improve my own gameplay. I think I've lost more often because of my own blunders rather than actions from other opponents.

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
I guess my point simply put is that if I can put on a set of armour by my own choice, why can't I take it off when I want to ?

In the end I don't really mind and think the current mechanic works quite well, but we will all run into a situation at some stage where we wish we could discard an equipped item we are wearing but can not.

If the dev's want to put it in then great its there if we need it, if they don't then as you say we just need to remember that and plan for it as best as we can.

Alvorn

Blake Mizzi

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
Alvorn, very interesting idea, one that a future "thing" might make you happy ;)

Alvorn

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
Alvorn, very interesting idea, one that a future "thing" might make you happy ;)

Ahh Blake. Thanks for reading and posting a reply. Even if that reply is just a big tease !!

Just joking.

Seriously its always been great to know that the Devs do read these forums and take our ideas and feedback seriously.

Alvorn