Author Topic: Suggest a Game!  (Read 9426 times)

Trent Kusters

• League of Geeks | Director
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a Game!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
If you've got a PS3/4 and PSN with online play, check out Journey.

You won't regret it.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »

You won't regret it.

Journey is probably one of the most awe-inspiring games I've ever played. And the experience of playing with a stranger is really profound, y'know?

It's beautiful.

Dyrielle

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
(10,000,000): You might think it looks very silly and boring, but once I got started, I just could not stop. It's Bejeweled in an rpg context. I am sad but somewhat proud to say that I was so addicted to this game that I was actually playing it in my mind while trying to get to sleep... for several nights in a row.

Also anything by Telltale Games, really. The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us... been meaning to get some of their earlier ones as well, but they are quite pricey.

Leftcross

• Backer
  • Chuffing all over your stuff since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 01:57:29 AM »
I cannot enter this thread without strategy on my mind, being obsessed with Armello and all. I will really be showing my age here, but most of my favorite strategy is from the 16-bit era and prior.

Since I never cared for modern war themes, Fantasy General was the only game in SSI's 5-star series that I cared to play, but it was incredible and I played the hell out of it. The challenge can be unforgiving (especially at higher difficulty settings), but it is always fair (unless you have an unbalanced army; then the computer will spawn 7 units per turn around hexes you have to take...oh, that was annoying until I figured that out). The charcoal unit sketches and the musical score are both amazing. Very long game--took me months playing off and on to finish. It has been abandonware for years, it is free and legal for anyone to download and play (requires DOS emulation).

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen: You might have heard of this series before, but all pale in comparison to the now very difficult-to-find original. This is strategy at its finest, with insanely detailed army customization options that require you to pay attention how your units actually fight, not simply what level they can achieve. While it is not particularly difficult to steamroll to victory if you think only about yourself, people will absolutely hate you and you will end the game being assassinated. It is an infinitely greater challenge to become a selfless champion of the oppressed and downtrodden, listen to your conscience when making difficult moral decisions and take the time to aid the gods in struggles of their own. Getting the best ending to this game without looking up anything took several playthroughs, but is still one of my proudest gaming achievements.

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »

You won't regret it.

Oh, totally. My friend is actually the one with the PS3. but it's one of those rare art games where the design and animation don't vastly outweigh the actual gameplay. It's... special. Music's great too. Had the privilege of hearing some of it at Video Games Live a year or so ago. Nominated for a Grammy for a reason, ya know.

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »
One game people might be interested in is Majesty 2. The Majesty series is something that I've always really loved. It's an RTS with a twist - while you have control over how your town grows, placing down buildings and managing it's defence and economy, this is an indirect control game. You see, as king of the fantasy realm of Ardania, you have at your disposal a legion of heroes; wizards, fighters, rangers, clerics, wizards and rogues, all brave masters of their profession... and all completely unwilling to do anything gratis. They're heroes, of course, and anyone who's played an RPG can tell you that Stalwart Defenders Of The Land won't even get up in the morning without a stack of gold and 20xp.

So, in order to control your heroes, you build inns for them to gather in, and fill them with shadowy cloaked figures in corners for them to accept quests off of and, most importantly, set aside a big stack of cash to pay them with. You'll need them, too... you can't go 10 feet out of town without being mauled by bears or attacked by skeletons, and more than just rats lurk in the sewers under the city...

However, be warned. Difficulty is something that comes up a lot in Majesty - while it starts quite gentle, it gets very hard very fast, and so might not be suitable for casual gamers. I would really encourage players to stick with it. Even when it looks like your city is doomed, just stick with it. Something might happen to turn the tide, and it 'aint over until it's over.

But other than that, Majesty is one of my favourite games out there. The games mechanics are great fun, it's hard but challenging, so you feel fantastic once you beat a level, and the game's humour is top notch. It doesn't take itself seriously, but never goes over the top into just stupid humour. Highly recommended.

If you're into strategy, i'd reccomend Warlock: Master of the Arcane, and it's sequel, Warlock 2: The Exiled.

Part of the Majesty series, Warlock tells us the last Great King died without an heir, causing the Mage's Council to declare emergency powers and appoint a Great Mage as the new King. It just so happened that every Great Mage appointed *themselves* as King (or Queen), causing a civil war...

As you can see from the screenshot, it uses a similar system to Civilization V: The player controls armies and builds settlements and expands outwards with the ultimate goal of reuniting the land under their rule. However, it differs from Civ in several ways. For example, as you can see from that screenshot, city buildings (or "districts" and they're called in Warlock) are built as tile improvements rather than existing inside the city like in CiV. Not only does this mean you have to think carefully about how much space you'll have when placing cities, it also means that during sieges you can have enemy forces occupying the market district while the defenders fortify the Barracks, trying to keep them back from the Keep.

Furthermore, each unit is much more unique than in Civilization. For example, lets say that one of your cities was built near a source of Mithril, which you construct a mine on as one of the first expansions. That city can now produce Mithril weapons, which you issue to individual units at a cost. This means you can churn out cheap legions of swordsmen, but have a few elite units in expertly crafted armour and with magic weapons leading the charge.

Also, every faction leader is a Mage, which means that in addition to their armies they can cast spells to give them an edge. Calling down firestorms on enemy units, teleporting yours and blighting their lands is all standard fare, as is using life magic to improve your own crops or increase gold production.

Each faction also has unique units and abilities. For example, Humans have your standard knights, archers and rogues, the Monster races have legions of ratmen and werewolf berserker, Undead have cheap and cheerful skeletons, and so on. Races will also do different things with different resources: while humans might use a Mana Well to build a Mage's Tower, Monster races under the rule of King Rhatt will instead build a Cheese Mine on it, using the raw mana to transmute rock into Gouda.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:25:46 AM by Skitterleaper »

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »
One game people might be interested in is Majesty 2. The Majesty series is something that I've always really loved. It's an RTS with a twist - while you have control over how your town grows, placing down buildings and managing it's defence and economy, this is an indirect control game. You see, as king of the fantasy realm of Ardania, you have at your disposal a legion of heroes; wizards, fighters, rangers, clerics, wizards and rogues, all brave masters of their profession... and all completely unwilling to do anything gratis. They're heroes, of course, and anyone who's played an RPG can tell you that Stalwart Defenders Of The Land won't even get up in the morning without a stack of gold and 20xp.

So, in order to control your heroes, you build inns for them to gather in, and fill them with shadowy cloaked figures in corners for them to accept quests off of and, most importantly, set aside a big stack of cash to pay them with. You'll need them, too... you can't go 10 feet out of town without being mauled by bears or attacked by skeletons, and more than just rats lurk in the sewers under the city...

However, be warned. Difficulty is something that comes up a lot in Majesty - while it starts quite gentle, it gets very hard very fast, and so might not be suitable for casual gamers. I would really encourage players to stick with it. Even when it looks like your city is doomed, just stick with it. Something might happen to turn the tide, and it 'aint over until it's over.

But other than that, Majesty is one of my favorute games out there. The games mechanics are great fun, it's hard but challenging, so you feel fantastic once you beat a level, and the game's humour is top notch. It doesn't take itself seriously, but never goes over the top into just stupid humour. Highly recommended.

I loved Majesty. Majesty 2 lost some of the charm, unfortunately (and I beat it by bringing an Epic Tier Rogue around with me all the time since rouges are cheap and can still solo most mid-level monsters at level 10) but is still a very worthy game. Seconding this recommendation with the caveat that the original is actually funnier (and tougher. Oh so much tougher).

*AAaaa kachink-kachink* - Most terrifying sound in the entire game.
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:15 AM »
I really enjoyed the original too, but... it's very old, and my current OS doesn't like running it without a shell x.x

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:38 AM »
I really enjoyed the original too, but... it's very old, and my current OS doesn't like running it without a shell x.x

Majesty Looks like the stronghold series!

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
Similar sort of idea, actually!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
I played the crap outta that game and the rest im really tempted to download it atm!

EFT37

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 06:23:59 AM »
Battleblock Theather
This game is the puzzle platformer game.
It is nice and fun to play.
Other than story mode (single player), the player can play the coop with friends.
And also the arena (mini games) which can be played by up to 4 players :D
It also let you to customize the level and the character though Steam workshop.
So I really recommend this game for you guys  ;D

One of my favorite musicians and internet penpals wrote the music for BattleBlock Theatre. I played on the beta on xbox360, but it was too twitchy for me and I din't understand the buttons/goals.

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Also anything by Telltale Games, really. The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us... been meaning to get some of their earlier ones as well, but they are quite pricey.

I agree. I would also suggest the sam and max games. both the original one from lucasarts, and the telltale ones.

MrWizard

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 01:34:10 PM »
In keeping with the Steam theme, of course I'll throw my hat in the ring for Bastion and FTL like a few other people already have. Great games both.

Of course, I'd be loath not to mention another steam game I finished recently which was simply amazing from start to finish:

The Banner Saga.

It's a game that draws a lot of inspiration from Norse Mythology, being set in a frozen continent, inhabited by humans and a race of horned giants called Varl. It's a world where the gods disappeared and the sun stopped moving. You play as a couple separate groups of people, traveling from place to place in this world, coming into conflict with and trying to outrun an army of sentient stone statues called The Dredge who have started invading from the north, and trying to survive in what many believe to be the end times.

The name of the game comes from a recurring motif within the game's story. Every clan of people in this world has in its possession a magical banner, which has been enchanted to continue spinning and weaving itself of its own accord. In its own body, it weaves words and pictures, telling the story of the clan who carries it. Many of these banners have been passed down from clan leaders over generations, and thus have grown very long. Due to story events, you are now tasked with carrying your clan's banner, and all of your deeds, good and ill, will be woven into its body. What kind of saga will your banner tell?

Gameplay combines elements from several different genres that I'm fond of. Combat is reminiscent of tactical RPGs, such as Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea. Combat is turned based and takes place on a grid. You can decide which characters from your party to use (all of which have unique classes) and equip them and level up their stats as you see fit.

Story sections are more reminiscent of Japanese Visual Novel type games, or Bioware games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, with static character images conversing with each other, and branching dialogue trees. You hear it advertised all the time, but this is one game where the choices you make really do have consequences, sometimes even life and death consequences for your party members.

Finally, the sections in between story and combat take inspiration from, of all things, The Oregon Trail. Most of the time you and your caravan will be traveling between major cities and settlements, and it's your job to keep your party well-fed and happy, amidst a number of random events happening on the way. The more of your party you can keep alive and in good spirits, the easier your time will be in the other game sections.

The one resource in the game is renown, gained by performing great deeds in battle and in life. This is what you will use to level up your characters, buy items for those characters, and buy supplies for your caravan. Because of this, you have to balance how you spend your resources. If you spend too much in one area, the others will suffer. If you buy too many items for your characters, you won't be able to level them up, and if you spend too much on leveling them up, you won't have enough to buy supplies at the next town, and your caravan may run out of food and start to starve (which may lead to the death of some of your characters). This makes gameplay challenging and interesting, and lends itself to a lot of replayability.

And finally, the Don-Bluth-inspired artwork and orchestral soundtrack are both simply gorgeous.

So yes, even if the game isn't on sale at the moment, it's well worth the full price on Steam.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:14:06 PM by MrWizard »