Author Topic: Suggest a Game!  (Read 8994 times)

Kinan Eldari

• Backer
  • "the Solar Force"
    • View Profile
Suggest a Game!
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
Alright, since some of us don't have a whole lot of games on steam yet (for example), and perhaps others are just looking for inspiration, here's a thread where we can suggest all kinds of games, or perhaps tell us of something new you've seen that may be worth our time. Not to mention that people have already started suggesting games all over the place. This would be a nice space to gather it all, and inform others.

One rule though. Don't throw your entire library of games on here in one go. Just a couple games per post to keep it readable, and why you think they're worthy of our time.

To start off, here are a couple suggestions from me.

Bastion. A top-down isometric 3D adventure game that takes place after the world has ended. Has a nice mix of action and levels that are short, but not short enough that you don't feel like you've achieved something.

Transistor. From the same guys that also made Bastion. An RPG-like game with a similar view of the world to the previously mentioned, but features a vastly different combat system. The pictures are pretty, and the videos give you some idea of what's going on, but the only thing that does this game justice as far as forming an opinion goes, you really need to just play it.

BukoNuTz

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggest a Game!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Papers please. I didn't know being a booth teller could be so much fun.
Love & Peace!

SpitFire

• Backer
  • "Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
Papers please. I didn't know being a booth teller could be so much fun.
He just announced his newest game today.

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
Dust: An Elysian Tail - 75% off on Steam for today only! Dust is a side-scrolling platformer with RPG elements. It's easily the best furry game ever to come out on the PC (that I've heard of anyway) and an incredible achievement by basically one guy. Its smooth, fun and intuitive, with excellent art and music. I highly recommend it. (Also, how many PC games do you get with a Korean theme?)

Shogun 2: Total War - The best of the Total War series, Shogun 2 combines spectacular gameplay with a unique setting, beautiful art direction and an engaging soundtrack. Set during Japan's Sengoku period, you play one of several rival warlords struggling to achieve supremacy over the land. It is very much a traditional Total War game, featuring massed troops on a real-time battlefield and a turn-based strategic map. What distinguishes Shogun 2 from the preceding Empire and the later Rome 2 is its laser-like focus on the period and its very tight gameplay and setting. Where Rome and Empire had you bounding around the world with a variety of units, Shogun 2 focused on a very tight unit list (everyone is essentially the same) and emphasized the individual clans vying for the Shogunate - the game thus feels very lean and incredibly immersive compared to the sprawling brawls of its predecessor and successor. Includes two expansion packs - Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:04:54 PM by SpiritFox »
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
This is a good topic for extremely chea-, I mean, frugal individuals like myself.  ;D

I rarely buy things off Steam, so it's nice to get these kinda perspectives. I've been meaning to check out Dust (the character Fidget is supposedly based on Foxglove from Rescue Rangers), and I've only heard good things about Bastion (written by Greg Kasavin over at GameSpot). Basically I'm really behind the times.

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
My head is fine! I'm not the one wearing a stupid hat. Maybe, the two of you should start a STUPID HAT CLUB - Fidget

Fidget is one of my favorite all-time videogame sidekicks after Morte Rictusgrin from Planescape Torment.

Justin Whitfort

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
Cool topic! Bastion's a pretty sweet game, haven't had a chance to play the others mentioned here yet.

FTL: Faster Than Light - One of the best games I've played in the past few years. Customise your own crew and get attached before they die. Great and challenging gameplay, a cool setting and enough replay value/meaningful unlockables to keep you going for ages.

The Swapper - A game with wonderful puzzles and a beautiful art style. The plot kept me interested throughout and the ending was a really nice moment (for me at least). It's a little on the short side, so perhaps keep an eye out for it to go on sale if you're strapped for cash.

Honourable mentions for Atom Zombie Smasher (sweet style, great take on a super-simplified RTS) and Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (hands down the best tower defence-like game I've played.)

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

Bastion. A top-down isometric 3D adventure game that takes place after the world has ended. Has a nice mix of action and levels that are short, but not short enough that you don't feel like you've achieved something.

Transistor. From the same guys that also made Bastion. An RPG-like game with a similar view of the world to the previously mentioned, but features a vastly different combat system. The pictures are pretty, and the videos give you some idea of what's going on, but the only thing that does this game justice as far as forming an opinion goes, you really need to just play it.

I adore Bastion! I think that game has some of the best thematic storytelling I've seen in a game yet, and Jen Zee, the artist who did all the work for it, is a huge inspiration. I'm still saving up to get my hands on Transistor!

I don't have many games on Steam, but To The Moon is a pretty special game. The gameplay is there to hold the story together more, and while it's not the most intuitive, I don't think I would want the story told any other way. Definitely shed a few tears over this one.

Also, The Wolf Among Us is fantastic, and I am left on the edge of my seat with each episode. The characters are fantastic and I love all of the options you have in directing the flow of the narrative (with some pretty serious repercussions!)

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
Battleblock Theather
This game is the puzzle platformer game.
It is nice and fun to play.
Other than story mode (single player), the player can play the coop with friends.
And also the arena (mini games) which can be played by up to 4 players :D
It also let you to customize the level and the character though Steam workshop.
So I really recommend this game for you guys  ;D
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Kerbal Space Program - A game that truly captures the wonder of space exploration (and the true majesty of riding thousands of tons of high explosives miles into the sky), KSP is many things to many people. On one hand, there's the sheer thrill of space exploration and accomplishment - something that's enforced by an atmospheric soundtrack and a surprisingly beautiful graphics engine. There's the truly geeky aspect of orbital mechanics - apoapsis, periapsis, gravitational pull, speed, mass, acceleration. And then there's strapping grinning green men onto thousands of tons of high explosives that you design yourself and launching them into orbit/eternity. Its like Spore for space geeks. Includes mission packs specially designed by NASA

Anyone who's played it has stories like this.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:57:30 PM by SpiritFox »

VVolf

• Backer
  • The one in the shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »
Dust: An Elysian Tail - 75% off on Steam for today only! Dust is a side-scrolling platformer with RPG elements. It's easily the best furry game ever to come out on the PC (that I've heard of anyway) and an incredible achievement by basically one guy. Its smooth, fun and intuitive, with excellent art and music. I highly recommend it. (Also, how many PC games do you get with a Korean theme?)
Got to echo the Dust suggestion, great game !

FTL: Faster Than Light - One of the best games I've played in the past few years. Customise your own crew and get attached before they die. Great and challenging gameplay, a cool setting and enough replay value/meaningful unlockables to keep you going for ages.
Fun and Frustrating, I've got 9 of the 10 base ships unlocked and still have yet to beat the game on easy. (Still haven't gotten the Federation Cruiser yet...)

Thomas was alone - You will never have more fun with platforming rectangles than when you play Thomas was alone. A puzzle-platformer with simple yet gorgeous graphics and narration which just makes the game instantly classic.

Antichamber - A First-person Puzzle game AntiChamber has you attempting to escape a building which has decided the physics and geometry are just silly... After all, why should 3 rights make a left when they can cause you to go down a flight of stairs instead? Getting where you're trying to go can be difficult when you can be somewhere else just by turning around.

/.-, VVolf

velvetblues

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
Okay, I just have to second a few opinions first -- Bastion and Transistor 100% all the way.  I think it's SUPER important to point out how AMAZING the soundtracks are for those games, absolutely amazing.  ALSO, Thomas was alone and Antichamber are phenomenal, I especially LOVE Antichamber.

Along the Antichamber vein, I would definitely recommend Braid to any lovers of puzzle games.  It was definitely one of the most challenging puzzle games I've played.  Very beautiful, great soundtrack, interesting story. Also time manipulation!

TheSpectralWolf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
Well here are a few games for those of you that like a challenge...

FORCED: This is a co-op hack-n-slasher that throws you through Gladiator style stages . You've got four classes to choose from with abilities unlocked by completing each stage as well as challenges in the stages themselves.  These stages range from just plain survive to actual puzzles with a few variables to mix things up.  Oh, and the story behind how the developers started is a great read as well.

Magicka:  Save the world by yourself or with your friends as a wizard using various elements combined together to create a plethora of spells.  This is a lighthearted game with humor everywhere. You'll have a laugh here and there as well as accidentally kill yourself or your friends.  In fact this game is more of a wizard fratricide simulator at times, so lets just say you should absolutely cast with caution.
According to long lost articles about the development of the game, the original working title for Armello was actually Murphy's Law: The Digital Board Game.*
*Actual articles not guaranteed to exist.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
Loving all your games!! let me add two of  my own!

DLC Quest: Absolutely hilarious with some of its references and makes fun of so many companies with its pointlessness humour! Its really fun :P

Evoland: just the same as DLC Quest but its graphics and gameplay are a lot more indepth and is actually a really fun game!!

Recettear: An item shops tale: You MUST play this!! cannot recommend it higher!! It is about you selling items, buying cheap selling high but you can also fight in dungeons to get items and sell them for a lot of money, You seriously need to try this game!!

Priority order:
1: Recettear
2: Evoland
3: DLC Quest

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Well here are a few games for those of you that like a challenge...

I noticed your STEAM profile lists something called Leviathan Warships. It looked interesting but a lot of the reviews focused on the lack of community for it? How's the gameplay like?