Author Topic: Ironclaw (Anthropomorphic Roleplay Game) + Armello  (Read 14845 times)

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
Ironclaw (Anthropomorphic Roleplay Game) + Armello
« on: May 24, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »
Just figured to put a thread here, because I think a mashup of the two would work wonderfully. Besides, Ironclaw is a great system any RPG gamer should try.

The rules for Ironclaw, if you've played it, are a bit different(admittedly a bit clunky too) than most RPGs, but they are solid and quite fun.

Sanguine Games (makers of Ironclaw) - http://www.sanguinegames.com

Anyways, just doing my part~

JimMaru

• Backer
  • ANARCHY FOREVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Ironclaw (Anthropomorphic Roleplay Game) + Armello
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 04:30:01 AM »
Sounds really nice. I used to enjoy playing tabletop RPGs with a few friends a while back.
Unfortunately things always went wrong at some point =[
Still, I'd like to try it again some time.

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
Worth a lookin! I've been meaning to get another game to run over Roll20.net at some point...

SpiritFox

• Backer
  • All hail the Wolf Queen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »
Personally, I think Ironclaw is a little pedantic with the rules. The rules of flight, for one, are pretty damn crazy (spend an action to flap your wings each turn, drifting, gliding) making round maintenance a time consuming affair.

Fights become extended affairs largely because of this and not because of massive hitpoint pools (like in D&D).  On average a fight with one Enforcer and four Elites against a party of five takes about an hour but covers three - four rounds at best. My record was a two-session (6 hours total) fight between a Supernaught and a high-level party that burned through about 12 rounds.

On the other hand, I love the non-combat mechanics although, again, the game can be quite pedantic (YOU NEED SEPARATE COPIES OF THE SAME SOCIAL GIFTS TO CARRY BETWEEN CULTURES). Still, I appreciate the better balance between social combat and actual combat.

Anyway, I'm game to play or run if anyone's interested.
“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”

SmoggyBelle

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
Just figured to put a thread here, because I think a mashup of the two would work wonderfully. Besides, Ironclaw is a great system any RPG gamer should try.

The rules for Ironclaw, if you've played it, are a bit different(admittedly a bit clunky too) than most RPGs, but they are solid and quite fun.

Sanguine Games (makers of Ironclaw) - http://www.sanguinegames.com

Anyways, just doing my part~
I went to the link, but I don't see anything that tells me how this work D:
I would appreciate it if someone can explain it to me! ^_^

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
Ironclaw is a roleplaying game where the players make characters and play as them. You choose your species, occupation and characteristics and gifts (which are special abilities like knowing Zhonggese (the setting's version of Chinese), being able to play a lute or having an especially terrifying howl)

I'll see if I can link to a demo PDF or something but since you're already staying close to me I can arrange a demo game in person as well.  I have the main book, Jadeclaw and the expansion for druidic, apostolic and Blessed magics

Always glad to recruit new gamers <^.^>

Lucas

• Backer
  • Dungeon Master
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
Personally, I think Ironclaw is a little pedantic with the rules. The rules of flight, for one, are pretty damn crazy (spend an action to flap your wings each turn, drifting, gliding) making round maintenance a time consuming affair.

Fights become extended affairs largely because of this and not because of massive hitpoint pools (like in D&D).  On average a fight with one Enforcer and four Elites against a party of five takes about an hour but covers three - four rounds at best. My record was a two-session (6 hours total) fight between a Supernaught and a high-level party that burned through about 12 rounds.

On the other hand, I love the non-combat mechanics although, again, the game can be quite pedantic (YOU NEED SEPARATE COPIES OF THE SAME SOCIAL GIFTS TO CARRY BETWEEN CULTURES). Still, I appreciate the better balance between social combat and actual combat.

Anyway, I'm game to play or run if anyone's interested.

Yeah, it is a bit clunky, but I like the fights actually. The ability to dodge, counter or parry helps kees a good flow for out of turn characters, and the abstract health status effects are good for making any blow potentially leathal. (My favorite bit of the system, personally)

Of course, flight does SEEM crazy, but it really is pretty straightforward. On the forums there, a good bit of errata gets updated or clarified. I have my own house rules, but the system as a base is the important part. Like you said, it does social and combat pretty well.

I ran a game online for about a year, and we did quite a bit, and my players generally really enjoyed it. ^^

I just figured to post about it here, since it seems fitting. I know I would love to run another game sometime, so we shall see how that goes~

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
I really want to give a game like Dungeons and Dragons a go so if you do decide to run something PLEASE send me an invite!!! Im definitely keen to try it!!

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
I really want to give a game like Dungeons and Dragons a go so if you do decide to run something PLEASE send me an invite!!! Im definitely keen to try it!!

I haven't had much experience with online-only RP. Certainly I've never GM'd one, but I'll let you know :)

SpiritFox

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
I went to the link, but I don't see anything that tells me how this work D:
I would appreciate it if someone can explain it to me! ^_^

To expand on this, Sanguine Games is the publisher of the Ironclaw/Jadeclaw series of RPG manuals and supplements (which include the Book of Mysteries and Book of Fools) The game is a Pen-and-Paper RPG system, which means its basically meant to be played with a pen and paper (and a set of dice; four-sided, six-sided, eight-sided, ten-sided and twelve-sided).

The manuals contain rules and mechanics that govern how the game will play out; determine the power and affects of spells, weapons, skills and abilities, what kind of dice will be used for what kind of miscellaneous actions and set out the lore of the world.

Typically a game will consist of at least three people; a game master and two players (my personal ideal size is one game master and four players). The game master (or Host, as he's referred to in the manual) will set the stage for the players. He is the storyteller, conductor and referee for his players. The players respond to what the game master has set before them.

For a player, the game begins with character creation. The Ironclaw manual will spell out how this will work, but the basics are this;

A Character consists of a SPECIES and an OCCUPATION. Ironclaw has a huge number of species (and even sub species) to choose from; wolves, dogs, dholes, sparrows, ravens, gorillas - you name it. There are a fair number of template occupations as well; Scouts, Dilettantes, Warlocks, Paladins. All of these, however, serve to provide the player with a selection of basic skills and "gifts", which essentially reflect what comes naturally to your species and what you are trained to do.

A Character's personal strengths are reflected in his/her four TRAITS - Body (reflecting how strong and tough you are), Will (representing your character's inner strength and force of character), Mind (how knowledgeable and keen-witted you are) and Speed (indicating how fast, agile and dexterous your character is)

A Character will then have the option to choose additional SKILLS and GIFTS. These additional skill are "marked", meaning your character gets bonuses when using these skills. These chosen "marks" can overlap with species and occupation marks - a Weasel Rake would get one mark in Dodge from his species and one more from his occupation. He can then choose to add a third mark to this skill, adding yet another die to any dodge roll (meaning he's going to be almost supernaturally good at dodging stuff.)

Gifts are bonus abilities that reflect a character's background. You can choose three additional gifts in addition to the six you gain from your species and occupation. Unlike skills, you CANNOT "stack" gifts unless the game specifically says you can - in case of a conflict of gifts during the character creation (i.e a Bear Doppelsoldner would have two gifts of Strength during creation because both the species: Bear and occupation: Doppelsoldner give you this gift), the extra "gift" is used to increase the size of one TRAIT dice (from a six-sider to an eight-sider for example). Gifts can include a wide variety of powers, abilities - from new spells to combat abilities - to more "social" talents - such as being well traveled (Cosmopolitan), a social drinker (Carousing) or even titles and award (Nobility).

Once you're done with that, you get to give your character a PERSONALITY and choose their LOCAL KNOWLEDGE; that is the place that they're most familiar with. All these round out your character - mechanics-wise anyway. Don't forget to name him/her! (unless they're Anonymous, but that's going into too much detail)

Once you, the player, have your character, you're off on your adventure! The Game Master (GM) will give you a scenario, and you, as YOUR CHARACTER (not you!) choose how to respond to it. Whenever you attempt to do something difficult or dangerous, your GM will call you to "make a roll", to see if you succeed in that action or not. In Ironclaw, there are three types of challenges - OPPOSED ROLLS, DIFFICULTY CHECKS and COMPETING ROLLS

Difficulty checks are the simpler one. Your GM will set a target difficulty (he won't necessarily tell you what it is unless you ask!) and you roll against it. In Ironclaw, you "win" a roll by rolling ABOVE the TARGET NUMBER, which is where your dice come in. For example;

GM - You sneak your way past the guards to the tower's ivy-covered walls. You see two more guards standing by the entrance. They are large, wearing full plate armor and wielding massive poleaxes. Unlike the others, these two do not appear to be patrolling.

Player - I'd rather not try to fight them - it would certainly attract the attention of the others. Instead, I'll try using the ivy to climb to the top.

GM - Alright, make a Speed + Climbing roll vs. 5. Do you have anything else to add to that?

Player - Let's see; Mercurio is a Black Rat, which means he has Climbing as a species skill. Unfortunately, my Species dice is only a d4, which means I won't be able to meet that target number, 5. His Speed is a d8, and this is taking place in Rat Clan territory, so I claim a d12 for my Local Knowledge.  So I roll one d8 and one d12

<Player makes a roll and comes up 5, 8>

GM - Success! Mercurio's nimble fingers easily find their grip on the thick strands of ivy encircling the tower. Quick as you can, you scramble upwards.

Opposed Rolls are a lot more dangerous - that means your GM is now rolling against you! Usually this is what happens when a player character is trying to outwit, outfight or out talk a non-player character. In this case;

GM - As you make your way up the tower, you suddenly hear a sound that sends a chill down your spine - the distant tramp of iron boots. The patrol is returning early!

Player - I can't really do anything right now. My only hope is to freeze and pray they don't spot me.

GM - Well, the moon is behind the clouds, meaning its a pretty dark night. Make a Stealth + Speed check vs. the guards' Mind + Spot check. Your Local Knowledge won't help you now!

<Player makes a roll and comes up 3, 6>
<GM rolls and comes up 6, 8>

GM - Uh oh, there's a yell from below - you've been spotted, the guardsmen race to the foot of the tower!

Competing Rolls are for instances where you and your opponent are competing against each other to accomplish something that doesn't involve direct opposition - usually a chase scene!

GM - You see the lead guard is right at the base of the tower! He's a Cat, wearing light leather armor, obviously a scout of some sort. Without breaking his pace he leaps onto the ivy and begins scampering up after you!

Player - I climb like hell!

GM - Ok, difficulty remains the same at 5. The others aren't shooting at you - they don't think you can get out of this.

<Player makes a roll and comes up 6, 6>
<GM rolls and comes up 4, 5>

GM - As quick as greased lightning, you're up the wall, leaving your feline follower gasping for breath. You're in through the topmost window before he is even a third of the way up.

Now, all of this is just the basics; Ironclaw can be really, really, REALLY pedantic about things, but its also got a wide variety of tools at a GM's disposal, allowing for a rich variety of challenges and scenarios, unlike D&D which is almost entirely focused on combat.  In my campaign, I've had my players defend an innocent woman in a public trial, sail against pirates on the high seas, hunt an assassin through a crowded marketplace, negotiate a treaty between noble houses and fight in the middle of a civil war. In a normal D&D game, most of these would be simple win/lose situations relying on a limited set of skills with little room for creativity and very much challenge at all. Ironclaw allowed my players to go about getting what they wanted in crazy, creative ways (usually involving concerts and a lot of liquor.)

Like I said, since you live pretty much in my area, we can arrange a gaming meet to demo this if you're really interested. Otherwise, running this online could work as well.

donleong94

• Backer
  • Be the best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Wow! Thanks SpiritFox!
I never play RP before, so maybe I will give it a try :DD
===Feel free to add me===

[Do the best or else you will regret for doing nothing]

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:28 PM »
Well, if you guys are gonna online rp, may I try too? First timer but have always wanted to try it.

Also, Ironclaw, atleast from description you guys have given, seems interesting.  :)

SmoggyBelle

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:33:36 AM »
@SpiritFox, OHHHHH i think i get it now :D I think i saw this concept before in one of my phone games called Surviving Highschool,  where the nerds were playing something like this :O

sounds interesting ;D I would definitely try it if we have something like this!! ;D

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
I'd be interested in giving the system a try...

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »
@SpiritFox, OHHHHH i think i get it now :D I think i saw this concept before in one of my phone games called Surviving Highschool,  where the nerds were playing something like this :O

sounds interesting ;D I would definitely try it if we have something like this!! ;D
Love that game!! I was always dating Raven :P

Thanks so much for all your help on this SpiritFox, consider me learned :P  Put me on your invite list if you ever decide to host a noob RP game, i would absolutely attend!! Thanks again!