Author Topic: Redwall  (Read 7978 times)

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Redwall
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:13 AM »
Aww man, you missed out on Triss? I loved that one.

Dev

• Backer
  • The Alpha and Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
I would recommend publication order, hands down.
That's a lot of reading, better get started, ty :)

Snacuum

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »
Never read or watched any of the series. I can see its influence of styles though.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Since we're all going to end up talking about it anyway, we might as well have a place for it!

Favourite book?  Character?  Poem?  Recipe?  Mole-speak word?

I saw this thread and instantly fell in love! Man it feels like FOREVER since i read those books, still my all time favourite, they got me into reading when i was in grade 4!! I graduated last year!! Obviously Martin the mouse was the BOMB but i was a big fan of that badger and the hare..... not sure if there was more then one i cant even remember!!! But i loved every second of those books!! and how they contained like 5 different characters stories which linked up together towards the end!! Kudos to Brian Jacques!! Kudos

YouTube | Email

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »
I think I'll always regret coming into this series as late as I did. Growing up, I'd always see them every time I went into a book store, and I was always struck by two things: how many of them there were, and how amazing the covers looked. My mind was filled with images of a dark fantasy world kinda like NIMH, but more mature and maybe even a little scary. Being the wimp I was (and not much of reader), I passed 'em over until I eventually just stopped thinking about them.

Then in the early 2000s the animated series came out and I was immediately reminded of those awesome-looking books I never bothered to pick up. Being a little older and bolder I decided to try them out, and after I kicked myself for not getting into them earlier, I really grew to enjoy them. They weren't nearly as dark and gloomy as I thought they'd be, but they sure came with a body count! I love how Brian Jacques respected his readers enough to give a good, heartfelt story at the expense of a little innocence, and also have some truly reprehensible villains.

I've got a long way to go to get through this series, and I've actually gotten a few audio versions. The ones narrated by Jacques himself are probably the best.

Oh, Martin the Warrior for me!

...and Rose. The words "fell to the ground like a broken doll" still haunt me to this day.

That scene was like the Red Wedding of my youth.  I was absolutely devastated.

It's pretty brutal. Felldoh's entire descent into darkness in the second half was harsh, too.

The first one I read was, appropriately, Redwall, and I remember when Mathias lost Methuselah. The part where the usually very strong-willed character is  silently reeling over it in despair and "wanting to curl up and hide inside himself" always stuck with me.

sfpowell

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
Oh god I read and reread those books so many times, I absolutely love them.  Picking a favorite book is a difficult task...some of my favorites though are Mossflower, Salamandastron, and The Pearls of Lutra.  The stories just sucked you in!!  I always thought the otters and the hares were really cool, the hares being awesome long runners and the otters awesome archers! I mean Grath Longfletch, come on. 

I think I need to reread these again, 10+ years later...

Oh yeah and in cleaning out the house recently my dad gave away all of our Redwall books (without asking anyone first), including signed copies of Triss and Mariel of Redwall.  Noooo!!!!! I'm absolutely glad not everyone in my family is a pack rat, but mercy!!

Leaf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
Oh yeah and in cleaning out the house recently my dad gave away all of our Redwall books (without asking anyone first), including signed copies of Triss and Mariel of Redwall.  Noooo!!!!! I'm absolutely glad not everyone in my family is a pack rat, but mercy!!

:'(

Now I'm slightly concerned for my signed copy of Redwall I left at my parents' house.

sfpowell

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
Did anyone ever have an epic Redwall feast?  We always had plans to get that book that has Redwall recipes and make all the delicious sounding food and just go ham, but we never quite got there.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 05:13:47 AM »
Did anyone ever have an epic Redwall feast?  We always had plans to get that book that has Redwall recipes and make all the delicious sounding food and just go ham, but we never quite got there.

No, but that sounds wonderful! Especially since so much of it is like "crazy fancy berry drink" and honey covered everything. Man, I would be SO down!

Ratical

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 05:46:49 AM »

I haven't, but I know exactly what you're talking about.  Some of these books can't be read on an empty stomach.

I've had my eye on the same cookbook:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Redwall-Cookbook-Brian-Jacques/dp/0399237917/

No, but that sounds wonderful! Especially since so much of it is like "crazy fancy berry drink" and honey covered everything. Man, I would be SO down!

There's a website with some approximations based on foods in the books, and honey does indeed factor into a lot of 'em. Heck, the honey apples are even apples that are de-cored, then  filled with honey, then coated in honey, then baked to lock it all in. Also, cordials for every occasion.

http://www.redwall.net/kitchen/

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »

There's a website with some approximations based on foods in the books, and honey does indeed factor into a lot of 'em. Heck, the honey apples are even apples that are de-cored, then  filled with honey, then coated in honey, then baked to lock it all in. Also, cordials for every occasion.

http://www.redwall.net/kitchen/

These all look ACTUALLY wonderful, I need to try and make these! I'm seriously inspired and want a bowl of hotroot soup asap. Wow. Bookmarking!

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
I just bought online redwall and mossflower! im going to read them again!

YouTube | Email

ChuRenDel

• Backer
  • The Champion of Armello
    • View Profile
    • ChuRenDel's DeviantArt page
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
Enjoy them, Proxy. They're worth reading after all these years.

Brian Jacques, rest his soul, has created such a beautiful world.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Enjoy them, Proxy. They're worth reading after all these years.

Brian Jacques, rest his soul, has created such a beautiful world.

I 'Red' them all about idk 9 years ago :P cant remember the specifics but they got me into reading :P

YouTube | Email

Larux

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
I loved the books when I was a kid. Unfortunately they translated only the first 10 books to Finnish (my native language).  In Finland all males have to go to army or non-military service so I went to the army. Sometimes we had really busy times but sometimes we had really nothing to do. So instead of twiddling my thumbs I had this idea to start reading Redwall books again. After some searching I found all of the books as E-books and I started reading them on my phone in English. Sadly my phone broke while being under "extreme conditions" and there went the E-books with it. I haven't continued reading them since but while I'm writing this my urge to do so grows  ;D