Author Topic: Redwall  (Read 8975 times)

Wordsmith08

• Backer
    • View Profile
Redwall
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:51:15 AM »
Since we're all going to end up talking about it anyway, we might as well have a place for it!

Favourite book?  Character?  Poem?  Recipe?  Mole-speak word?

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Redwall
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:56:53 AM »
I'm a big fan of Taggerung, though i need to give Marlfox a read sometime...

Lazy Bugger

• Backer
  • I am just lazy... Also my feet are pretty darn dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 01:57:37 AM »
...I don`t get it... is it an american thing?  :o

But yeah, thinking about it I haven`t read that many books lately.

Favorite book is then propably "of men and mice". I loved lennie, and it was one of the only moments when I`ve ever cried over a character.  :-[

Wordsmith08

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:01:23 AM »

The author, Brian Jacques, was English, and it was certainly well-known in my peer group in Australia...  Maybe just different circles?

I'm a big fan of Taggerung, though i need to give Marlfox a read sometime...

Marlfox was one of the few that I never got my hands on, but Taggerung was my absolute favourite.  Pretty sure I broke the spine from re-reading it... 

Skitterleaper

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 02:36:19 AM »

My school library in the UK had all the early books in it. It was pretty sweet.

Marlfox was one of the few that I never got my hands on, but Taggerung was my absolute favourite.  Pretty sure I broke the spine from re-reading it... 

Heh, it's a pretty awesome one. I love the way it explores the Vermin/Gentlebeast species interactions, as well as going further into exploring Vermin society.

SpitFire

• Backer
  • "Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:37:27 AM »
I'v sadly have never read any books in the red wall series. I will most likely read them someday.

Leaf

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 04:08:04 AM »
I was a huge Redwall fan as a kid. Read up to Legend of Luke. Lost interest at that point since they had become so formulaic.

Redwall and Mossflower are my favourites. They complement each other perfectly. I still have both on my bookshelf.

Tea

• Backer
  • Let's talk art
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 04:16:06 AM »
Oh, Martin the Warrior for me! That was the first I actually read in the series, but it's left a pretty great impression on me.  Over ten years since I've read it and I still find myself referencing the characters all the time, thinking about the journey, the wit, how heartfelt and strong and brave they all were...... and Rose. The words "fell to the ground like a broken doll" still haunt me to this day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:18:30 AM by Tea »

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 04:33:45 AM »
Aye, my childhood was riddled with books by British authors, and Redwall was no exception. My favorite book is Mossflower, closely followed by Martin the Warrior and Salamandastron. I really wanted Taggerung to be my favorite, but was disappointed at the execution of the concept. Though I suppose it's worth noting that Deyna's charge from the cellars is probably my favorite single scene in a Redwall book, and one that I have been longing to make a storyboard of that scene for ages (one day!). Felldoh's solo battle at Marshank is also way up there.

I've always favored the otters most, and the character I always name as my favorite is the Mask. Funny, because he doesn't act much like your typical otter! He may not exude personality like some of the more fun characters, but the little snippets of hints at his normal routine and past let younger Kobb do a lot of theorizing. I love poking at the bits of story that are just offstage. c:

Wordsmith08

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:33:21 AM »
Oh, Martin the Warrior for me!

...and Rose. The words "fell to the ground like a broken doll" still haunt me to this day.

That scene was like the Red Wedding of my youth.  I was absolutely devastated. 

ChuRenDel

• Backer
  • The Champion of Armello
    • View Profile
    • ChuRenDel's DeviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
I would have to say that High Rhulain is the only book I've managed to complete out of the entire series. It's also the first book of the series I ever read and I still love till today. Tiria Wildlough is my fav character...and there's one word that reminds me of Redwall without fail...

EULALIA!!!!!!!

macoman1

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
I'd never even heard of the series until Armello but now I intend on reading them all. there any order I need to read them in? if not which would you say is the best?

Kobb

• Backer
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Western Deep
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 10:37:19 AM »
I would recommend publication order, hands down.

macoman1

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
I would recommend publication order, hands down.

Thank you! I will most certainly begin reading these since everyone says they are good. Thank you for showing me the publication order.

KageTempest

• Backer
  • Stormblade of the Obsidian Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
I read and kept up with the Redwall series at about the same time I started reading Animorphs way back when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. Back then when the internet was in its popular infancy, I ready  ALOT of books. I started reading young adult/adult oriented books when I was in 5th grade because I got that taste for battles, fights, dramatic story telling, love, romance, and all that jazz. But every so often, I would always come back to Redwall, not only because it brought fond memories, but because it was quite Unique. it is the same reason why I read and sometimes go back to "Warriors" by Erin Hunter.

But anyways, back to Redwall, I agree with Kobb you want to read the books in publication order for a full understanding of the lore of the world, though it technically isn't necessary. As someone that has read all the books besides high rulain, triss, and the Sable Queen (which was written post mortem I believe), I can definitely say the series start very hmmm "Everyone" if we were going with a gamer's ESERB rating. But as the series goes on it gets gradually more "Teen." At some point, I think right after "Loamhedge" the book series takes on a more "Everyone" Tone once more, which isn't a bad thing, but as a person that was growing up at the time, I was kind of confused because the formula seemed to be going backwards :P But I enjoyed each and every book I read anyhow.

It is hard for me to pin down a favorite book honestly. I've read so many of them and bought and listened to many of the audio book versions that were actually voiced and produced by Brian Jacques himself... I find myself liking certain pairings of characters that seem to work well together. Well, except for Pickel and Mara from Salamandastron. It was like he took the aspect of being a glutton from hares, then put it at 11 and called it a day for a character lol.
The Storm IS my Sword, my Sword IS my Soul, my Soul IS The Storm.