Author Topic: Any Game of Thrones fans out there?  (Read 4260 times)

Valar Morghulis

• Backer
  • When you play the game of thrones, Jon wins.
    • View Profile
Any Game of Thrones fans out there?
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »
Seems like lots of us grew up with Redwall, but what about GRRM's great saga? This clearly was an influence in the game alongside Brian Jacques' writing.

Anyone watch the show or read the books? Who's your favorite GoT character?

For my part I have to go with Tyrion Lannister. Just wait till you see what happens at the end of this season, guys!!

Wordsmith08

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Any Game of Thrones fans out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »
*raises hand*

Both a show-watcher and a book-reader, and while I'd say I prefer the overall depth of character in the books, the show is an incredibly good adaptation and I wouldn't miss an episode for anything - even my own wedding (though, to be fair, that might be best avoided in this case!).

As far as characters go, Tyrion's one hell of a character, though as far as less obvious choices go, I really like Sansa.  Maybe it's influenced by getting more of her internal perspective from the books, but she's a character that I'm really, really rooting for in the hopes that somehow she'll get a happy ending out of all of this, away from the messed-up Westeros she's trapped in.  Plus, Sophie Turner's great in the role on the show.

PS. I'd actually be really curious to know if there's anyone here who ISN'T a GoT fan, given that it's the big fantasy epic in the current zeitgeist.

PPS. Might be a good idea to put a blanket spoiler warning on this thread.  Read at your own risk, folks!

JimMaru

• Backer
  • ANARCHY FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 04:14:20 AM »
I just watch the show. I really enjoy waiting for every week to get a bit more of the story.
I hate when the season is over and I have to wait months for the next one though =/

My favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion, but I think that's everyone's favorite characters. The only 2 (3 if you count Dany) that are smart.

Nomlette

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
I've read the books and watch the show, though at this point I'm preferring the books more. That said, for the most part the show is a good adaption considering they have to boil down hundreds of pages of dense story and character development into ten ~60 minute episodes.

I seem to be a bit of an outlier, though, in that my favourite house is House Mormont. Most people seem to be a fan of the big or main houses, but Mormont and Bear Island are my number one pick. In all of Westeros and Essos, that seems to be one of the few places where most of the people are decent and practical and not likely to stab you in the back for gold, rank, or fun. Plus it's practically the only place where women are viewed as capable equals and can inherit titles and lands instead of it going to younger male siblings or other male relatives. (I may or may not also like Bear Island in part because it's probably the only place where I would manage to survive a year if I was transported to Westeros). It's a shame most members of House Mormont have been scrubbed from the show, with only Jeor and Jorah really taking up any significant screentime. Hopefully they don't omit Alysane Mormont in season 5 or 6, because she's great in the books.

My favourite characters are all the awesome characters of House Mormont -- minus Jorah -- Brianne of Tarth, Sansa Stark, and Oberyn Martell. I'm probably missing a bunch of other characters, but if I don't name them maybe they'll survive longer.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
Unfortunately i havent read the books yet but ive seen the box set on sale so im definitely keen to pick it up!!
As for favourite character! I used to love Jaime and Tyrion but now im finding myself drawn more To arya and Prince Obrin, Obrin seems awesome and i cant wait to see the fight (you guys know what i mean, dont want to spoil anything) But im definitely keen to read the books, i need to brush up on my houses and such, I have no idea what house Mormont or bear island are ^^ haha :)

Nomlette

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
I have no idea what house Mormont or bear island are ^^ haha :)
They're practically invisible in the show, so it's no wonder ;)

But House Mormont is the main house on Bear Island, which is in the north and fairly isolated due to the sea. The only three Mormonts that are in the show so far have been Jeor (Lord Commander of the Night's Watch up until season 3), Jorah (exiled and disowned and is Dany's friend/adviser), and briefly Maege Mormont (back in season 2 she was one of Robb's biggest supporters and one of his military advisers -- she's the older woman in mail you see during the gatherings).

Personally, I find them to be a very underrated house because they aren't flashy or dashing off to get themselves killed*, even in the books. In the show they're pretty much a blip early on and then nothing is mentioned of them ever again.

*Well, working toward the Iron Throne, which may as well mean running off to wipe out a good chunk of your house.

And I'm so excited for Oberyn vs. The Mountain, as well! It's a shame that there's no episode this week so we have to wait a bit longer, but it will definitely be worth the wait.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
And I'm so excited for --------------------, as well! It's a shame that there's no episode this week so we have to wait a bit longer, but it will definitely be worth the wait.

SHHHHHH your gonna spoil it!!!!

Thanks for explanation though, consider me no longer confused! I really appreciate it haha i hate being that dumb kid in class asking all the questions

Georgesquares

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
GUILTY! Read all the books and am caught up with the series. Favorite characters are Sansa, Tyrion, Oberyn and Olenna Tyrell. Varys too.

Also:

My favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion, but I think that's everyone's favorite characters. The only 2 (3 if you count Dany) that are smart.

I wouldn't call Arya the brightest bulb. She had an opportunity to off Tywin lannister by giving the assassin his name but didn't. He was right there, too. :V
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:00:04 PM by Georgesquares »

Dyrielle

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »
I got addicted to the series, and then read the books and absolutely loved them. Finished them all off in the second half of last year, and desperately needing more. Suffering from withdrawal this week, I think I might go into a corner and rock back and forth for a bit now... and think about Tyrion. Mm... Tyrion...

Zarpaulus

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
Some people at the office had the A Song of Ice and Fire audiobooks on their iTunes with home sharing on.  And before that I read the first three books.

Kind of disappointed that season three of the show cut off before Joeffrey's wedding.

Rudahn

• Backer
  • Infected by the Rot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »
*raises hand* I am!

Not read all the books yet though... I'm currently reading through A Storm of Swords Part 2, I like to be just ahead of whichever season is being televised right now so that I can finish the book and then marathon the show.

My favourite is undoubtedly Daenerys. If she isn't the HBIC, nobody is. ;)

MrWizard

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
So... keeping in the theme of this board, who do the characters in Armello remind you of from Game of Thrones?

Because of his descent into madness which fuels the conflict of the game, the King of Armello seems similar to Aerys Targaryen (which would make whatever character who goes for the "kill the king" ending Jaime Lannister).

I have a feeling everyone will agree, the Wolf clan, coming from their homelands in the frigid north, are an obvious analogue for House Stark. Thane in particular seems too young and impulsive to be Ned, so I think he's actually more similar to Robb Stark than anyone else. After all, Ned never actually played at being king, but his son did.

Because of his predisposition to participate in political intrigue, using secrets, blackmail and bribery to get what he wants while putting on a friendly face, Mercurio seems the most similar to Petyr Baelish (who we always knew was a rat in disguise... :P). He could also be Tyrion Lannister for similar reasons, except Tyrion has no interest in ruling.

Sana is a bit trickier, since the world of A Song of Ice and Fire seems to be very light on magic. Because she seems to be quite a devout follower of her druid-like religion, and because of her predisposition for using spirit stones to heal the king of his Rot, effectively converting him from his dark, misguided path to one of spiritual enlightenment, she could be a version of Melisandre. (Yes, I realize this is a stretch, but it's the closest I can think of).

Finally, Amber. Also a tricky one, as her weapon (a shikomizue) seems to suggest Japanese influences, and as of yet the world of Game of Thrones doesn't have it's own version of Japan. Perhaps because of her habit of collecting treasures, and her opulent clothes and possessions (and the yellow color of them), she could be considered a version of Oberyn Martell.

As far as the rest of the characters (like the currently unnamed playable ones) I'm not sure, since we haven't been told anything about their histories and personalities yet. From the Bandit clan, based on appearance only, the badger berserker could be Sandor Clegaine, the fox rogue could be Yara Greyjoy, and the otter butcher could be Ramsay Snow.

Guppy is Podrick, no question.

Of course, feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong and offer your own theories. I'll admit I've never read the books, just watched the show.

Zarpaulus

• Backer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
Only one of those parallels I'm really seeing is Littlefinger=Mercurio.

The other main heroes seem more like they're based on the standard heroic fantasy archetypes, swordsman, wizard, rogue.  You get the idea.

A Song of Ice and Fire is more of a thorough deconstruction of the heroic fantasy genre.  Characters who think they're heroes tend not to live very long, i.e. House Stark.

8BitProxy

• Backer
  • Proud Armellian
    • View Profile
    • Just my ramblings.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
So... keeping in the theme of this board, who do the characters in Armello remind you of from Game of Thrones?

Because of his descent into madness which fuels the conflict of the game, the King of Armello seems similar to Aerys Targaryen (which would make whatever character who goes for the "kill the king" ending Jaime Lannister).

I have a feeling everyone will agree, the Wolf clan, coming from their homelands in the frigid north, are an obvious analogue for House Stark. Thane in particular seems too young and impulsive to be Ned, so I think he's actually more similar to Robb Stark than anyone else. After all, Ned never actually played at being king, but his son did.

Because of his predisposition to participate in political intrigue, using secrets, blackmail and bribery to get what he wants while putting on a friendly face, Mercurio seems the most similar to Petyr Baelish (who we always knew was a rat in disguise... :P). He could also be Tyrion Lannister for similar reasons, except Tyrion has no interest in ruling.

Sana is a bit trickier, since the world of A Song of Ice and Fire seems to be very light on magic. Because she seems to be quite a devout follower of her druid-like religion, and because of her predisposition for using spirit stones to heal the king of his Rot, effectively converting him from his dark, misguided path to one of spiritual enlightenment, she could be a version of Melisandre. (Yes, I realize this is a stretch, but it's the closest I can think of).

Finally, Amber. Also a tricky one, as her weapon (a shikomizue) seems to suggest Japanese influences, and as of yet the world of Game of Thrones doesn't have it's own version of Japan. Perhaps because of her habit of collecting treasures, and her opulent clothes and possessions (and the yellow color of them), she could be considered a version of Oberyn Martell.

As far as the rest of the characters (like the currently unnamed playable ones) I'm not sure, since we haven't been told anything about their histories and personalities yet. From the Bandit clan, based on appearance only, the badger berserker could be Sandor Clegaine, the fox rogue could be Yara Greyjoy, and the otter butcher could be Ramsay Snow.

Guppy is Podrick, no question.

Of course, feel free to tell me I'm totally wrong and offer your own theories. I'll admit I've never read the books, just watched the show.

I Like yoru suggestions for comparisons!! my first thought was making Bran guppy but podrick is without question guppy!! Lady Brienne is The Fox rogue come on!! but everything else i agree!!
Mercurio could be Varys but mercurios is a romantic and varys is not :)

Bec

• Backer
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/lionheartedowl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
Definitely a fan. I'm not caught up with the books, not even close really, but avidly watching the show. Brienne is my favorite character. Gotta respect a strong lady representin'!