Author Topic: Shields  (Read 929 times)

DittmanRat

• Backer
  • @DittmanRat on Twitter and Dyandod on FurAffinity
    • View Profile
Shields
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:07:31 AM »
There's been much talk about how shields aren't common enough in battles and most of the proposed fixes involve changing the dice somehow.

I'd like to bring up another suggestion- how about adding shield bonus to terrain?  Mountains already have a +1 shield bonus, perhaps we could up them to two, and add +1 bonuses for forests and settlements.

I think the dice work mostly well right now, and altering them could change battle more than we want to.  I think we need a more static way to add shields, instead of a much more variable fix with dice.

Kletian999

• Backer
    • View Profile
Re: Shields
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:33 AM »
Mountains could be 2, Towns/Forests should be 1. Dungeons, Circles, Swamps, and Plains should be Zero (Barring Amber's ring).

That said, static bonuses will never overcome diceexplosion on offense turning 5 fight into 10 Attacks.

dragoncrescent

• Backer
  • ...is actually a rabbit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:36:20 AM »
Hrm... well, I've always wondered why Settlements don't give you any kind of terrain bonus. I wouldn't mind a +1 defense on these tiles, though I fear it would increase Mercurio's effectiveness even more.

Forests already offer Stealth at night. They're fine as is.

Just for some variation, it would be interesting if the Clan Rings could give individual characters certain bonuses on tiles. I know Amber's emerald ring gives her +1 on plains. This seems like a really cool idea that I feel could add to a player's starting 'build', and should be expanded on.

david12596

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »
I am not to sure this would address the problem 100%. While it would make it easier for a defender to get a shield or two, last I checked the attacker does not get shield bonuses from terrain when attack which would not fix the issue when someone goes on the offense.

Though that does not mean I am against more terrain  getting shield bonuses, I just don't feel this would correct the whole issue.