Author Topic: [PC,Win10x64] Some cards are invisible on 3rd and 4th quest selection screen  (Read 921 times)

NovHak

• View Profile
Build number :
Build ID: release/1.6-drmfree-f1#f10984ac5b6fd1bdfd6819304baf051f13039073#57
Build Commit: f10984ac5b6fd1bdfd6819304baf051f13039073
Build Date: 2017-04-10 17:02:07Z

Platform :
PC, Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
GPU : Nvidia GTX 880M

Description :
In single player, the third and fourth quests systematically have some invisible cards. They can still be selected though and can be seen for the fraction of a second, once selection has been done.

First, second and last are OK.

Repro Steps :
Play single player until you reach said quests.

I never saved in between, maybe it doesn't happen if the game is saved in the meantime, so don't save.

Graphics options are set to very high and every 2nd vblank vsync, with r_aamode set to 0 and SSAO disabled, i.e. they now show up as Custom. However, just to be sure I tried with "vanilla very high", but still half refresh vsync, and it does the same.

Attachments :
In-game screen capture

NovHak

• View Profile
Just confirming it doesn't happen when I restart from the save just before. So I suppose that's likely a problem related to resources not adequately disposed of.

CindersPrince

• League of Geeks | Developer
    • View Profile
Hi NovHak,

It looks like you were playing on the DRM Free build of Armello.
We are no longer updating DRM Free builds and won't be able to fix this issue.

Hopefully you avoid hidden quests in future.

Cheers,
Tash

NovHak

• View Profile
Hi Tash,

Before what follows, thanks for your reply.

That's rude however, but expected considering the past events. But don't tell once more you're lacking the resources (I mean LoG, not you personally of course), that excuse is falling so flat on the ground that it may well reach the center of the earth.

In-game language selection never implemented because of resources lacking ? I managed to correct this without access to the actual code, so I just can't imagine how easy it would have been for you.

Bug with integer player stats not saving, hence some rings and amulets never unlocked ? I corrected this too. And I'm no developer at all.

And now this bug. I may be able to solve this too, and release a patch.

This behaviour from LoG really makes me scratch my head.

You may as well release the code publicly, that would help. Fancy that ?

LeCanard

• View Profile
Hello,

It is a shame (I know you did not decide to get out of GOG and I'm sorry) But you could, please, make one stable version on that plateform. The invisible quest issue is so depressing (not knowing what you choose). Even if it is an older version, I don't care, juste make it stable.

Best regards.  :'(

Ps: still dreaming that you'll fixed it one day.

NovHak

• View Profile
Salut LeCanard,

I'm glad to see I'm not alone here. I always try to guess if it's a spirit stone/follower/treasure quest and the stat increased by reading the quest tooltip, but that's sometimes misleading.

If I manage to correct this myself I will certainly have to publish a patch, which likely would include a change I made to random number generation as well, however I don't really feel motivated right now, since my knowledge of Unity and associated tools nears zero...

NovHak

• View Profile
@LeCanard : Believe it or not, I finally solved this problem.

It was happening when the quest rumour card has been selected, the other two cards having a burn animation. There's a problem with this animation which I'm not able to identify, so I replaced the burn animation with a "card moves offscreen" animation instead, and now the cards don't become invisible any more !

So clearly that's not a 100% perfect solution since we lose the burn animation on quest rumour selection, but that animation was starting to fail from the 2nd quest onwards anyway...

Now I will have to find a proper way to create a patch and distribute, ensuring the patch by itself doesn't contain copyrighted material, but that should not take too long, I would say at most one week from here (hopefully much less).

It will include :
- Workaround of the bug mentioned here
- Unlocking all rings and amulets (another workaround for the bug where they never unlock)
- Game language selection from the command line
- RNG initialises with system entropy instead of tick count
- and maybe other things

LeCanard

• View Profile
Wow, great! If it is juste a simple line to change with "off" on a notepad or something like that. Please make a small tutorial. If it is more complex, I'll be pleased to wait for a home-made patch. Thank you very much!

You're better than the team behind the game, that feel strange to say...
Thanks again.

NovHak

• View Profile
That's more complex unfortunately, since it requires replacing one function call by another in the code.

However once one knows what is to be modified, the process is not very complicated since it's only code replacement by a reference in the same address range, so I'm going to give you a how to. Note that this applies to the GOG-7 version of Armello only (2.5.0.7), doing that on any other version will likely make the game fail. Also keep a backup of the file before modifying, otherwise a wrong move will require you to reinstall the game.

• Get a decent hex editor, such as the one in CFF Explorer, but any other should do
  • Using the editor, open the following file (name relative to game installation directory) : "armello_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll"
  • Go to file offset 26AA8A
  • At this very offset, replace the value D7 with DB (I said replace, don't insert)
  • Save your changes
  • Play and enjoy all quests displaying correctly

You will still have the burn sound upon quest selection despite no cards burning, but that's a minor inconvenience I would say...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:02:45 AM by NovHak »

LeCanard

• View Profile
Thank you NovHak, yes it does work fine now. No more problem with the invisible quest. Thanks again.

NovHak

• View Profile
Glad to see it helped !

I still intend to release a patch including other changes and removing the now out-of-place burning sound, but considering not many people are interested and that this hidden quest problem is solved for you, I'm not sure I will be courageous enough to have it ready before a week has elapsed, in the end...

LeCanard

• View Profile
NovHak, no problem, take your time :-D I'll be waiting! And maybe others too. (the game is fun, I'm pretty sure that I'll still play it in years)

Thanks again.

NovHak

• View Profile
I suggest that we revert to the GOG forum of the game.

I will remain aware of what is posted here, but considering this edition is now abandoned by the developer, the GOG forums are more relevant.